Trolling spoons

F

Fshrmn

What is the best way to troll a spoon for springs? by itself or behind a flasher or dodger and if so, how many inches? Best size of spoon?

I just took a class from a guide here in WA. state.He. fishes poiler pass and that area.He uses flasher and coyote spoon about 3ft. apart,usually green flasher and chartrouse spoon .Hope this helps.

thanks the runt

I just took a class from a guide here in WA. state.He. fishes poiler pass and that area.He uses flasher and coyote spoon about 3ft. apart,usually green flasher and chartrouse spoon .Hope this helps.

thanks the runt

Generally speaking, it is best to use a flasher when trolling with spoons. Leader length will depend somewhat on where you are fishing. Right now, on the east coast of Vancouver Island (Nanaimo area) whst seems to be working well is a green glow flasher trailing either a black and white ("cop car") spoon or a chrome spoon using a leader length of 48 inches. When fishing on the West Coast (Bamfield, Barclay Sound) I use longer leaders (up to 5 feet - slows the action for the bigger fish) and while spoons work well, I prefer to use bait.

I have had only limited success trailing a spoon without a flasher directly attached, and in that case I used a "dummy flasher". A dummy flasher is a flasher that is trailed about 10 feet behind your cannonball on the downrigger and then you clip your spoon onto the downrigger cable about 6 feet above the flasher and then run the spoon about 10-15 feet back of the cable. so that it is just above and behind the dummy flasher.

Hope this helps.

Dick

Generally speaking, it is best to use a flasher when trolling with spoons. Leader length will depend somewhat on where you are fishing. Right now, on the east coast of Vancouver Island (Nanaimo area) whst seems to be working well is a green glow flasher trailing either a black and white ("cop car") spoon or a chrome spoon using a leader length of 48 inches. When fishing on the West Coast (Bamfield, Barclay Sound) I use longer leaders (up to 5 feet - slows the action for the bigger fish) and while spoons work well, I prefer to use bait.

I have had only limited success trailing a spoon without a flasher directly attached, and in that case I used a "dummy flasher". A dummy flasher is a flasher that is trailed about 10 feet behind your cannonball on the downrigger and then you clip your spoon onto the downrigger cable about 6 feet above the flasher and then run the spoon about 10-15 feet back of the cable. so that it is just above and behind the dummy flasher.

Hope this helps.

Dick

I use leader lengths up to 7 feet and as for size there are many different opions. I believe match the bait size. Alot of the larger salmon later in the season get flasher shy so thats when I go to longer leaders or no flasher at all. Just remeber if there's no bait around you might want to put the spoons away and put down some chovies or herring depending on where your fishing. I have always been told what works for me might not work for someone elses boat as speed has alot to do with leader lengths but really it's all about presentation. (How does it look in the water)

Just an opinion Cheers ME

Happy Hookin!!!

I use leader lengths up to 7 feet and as for size there are many different opions. I believe match the bait size. Alot of the larger salmon later in the season get flasher shy so thats when I go to longer leaders or no flasher at all. Just remeber if there's no bait around you might want to put the spoons away and put down some chovies or herring depending on where your fishing. I have always been told what works for me might not work for someone elses boat as speed has alot to do with leader lengths but really it's all about presentation. (How does it look in the water)

Just an opinion Cheers ME

Happy Hookin!!!

Back