Trolling methods for pinks

salmonkiller01

I have never targeted pinks before trolling, only caught incidentally. I am taking some people out and wondering what leader length for the squirt hootchies and how far off the rigger you run your flasher. Trolling speed would be great too. thanks for any input

I have found that the shorter the better, no more than 24 inches behind a white flash. I don't personally target these fish however when trying yo get young ones interested in the sport Pink's are an easy fish to get them hooked on.

Bright lime green or pink anything. Like hootchies, wobblers, flash fly's, spoons, etc..and the more action the better. Flat fish that are more meant for fresh water also work very, very well cause they have a very drastic back and forth motion when trolled. Just check the action at the speed of troll on the surface of the water before lowering it on the rigger cause flat fish will turn over and the hooks will get caught on the leader if trolled/retrieved too quickly. But they are a killer lure for pinks and coho.

This worked for me off French Creek yesterday, when a lot of things didn't.

38" leader, trolling speed about 2 to 2.25 mph.

Flasher is "Purple Haze".

IMG_0543.JPG

Lil pink squirt 36in behind the flasher. Or when casting into them, I use the petite pink buzz bomb with a trimmed pink squirt hoochie between the bumper & hook.

looks good for springs too what number hooch is that ? thx

I made those up myself.
Sort of a variant from the standard "put a pink squirt inside a Purple Haze hoochy" which works on 'returners' this time of year.

Anyway:- bottom one is a SuperTackle hoochy with a shortened pink squirt insert.
Top one is a clear UV cuttlefish body with a sparkle prism insert. Hoochy is colored with a "Staple's" purple marker pen (the Staple purple marker produces the best pink color for hoochies)
and also a Sharpie Purple pen.

I shortened those hoochies a tad.

Well I tried for pinks for about an hour but switched to plugs, ended up with a 14 pound spring and released 5 coho's. The kids had a blast and it was their first time salmon fishing.

Sheesh, everybody knows the most effective way to catch Pinks is to try fishing for something else.

Never fails. :D

Take care.

Back