Trim Tabs on a Thunderjet

Casper. I’m having a hard time finding a spot for the actuator mount on the hull. Moving it down would be the best option but space is so limited.

Got Pictures

I just installed lenco trim tabs to a 2017 Chinook which doesnt use the same transom design as your boat. But is similar enough I feel I could help and provide some advice. Firstly, the screws are useless. The screws have course thread and your transom is only 1/4 inch thick. Go to Rona and buy a box of 50 1/4-20 stainless nut and bolts. From what I've gathered from your thread, you're basically ready to start drilling. Mount the tab to the trailing edge first. Then adjust the angle of the tab and the location of the cylinder mount. I would rather have to drill the trailing edge twice instead of the transom twice if I screwed up. Goodluck!

Could they be mounted to the bottom of the swim grid. Just a thought.

Could they be mounted to the bottom of the swim grid. Just a thought.
I have explored that option but I do not think that it would work. If I mount it where it is right for the actuator, in ends up too close to the chine. If I move it closer to the bottom of the hull, I have interference with the pod when trying to mount the actuators. Im going to keep on trying

I just installed lenco trim tabs to a 2017 Chinook which doesnt use the same transom design as your boat. But is similar enough I feel I could help and provide some advice. Firstly, the screws are useless. The screws have course thread and your transom is only 1/4 inch thick. Go to Rona and buy a box of 50 1/4-20 stainless nut and bolts. From what I've gathered from your thread, you're basically ready to start drilling. Mount the tab to the trailing edge first. Then adjust the angle of the tab and the location of the cylinder mount. I would rather have to drill the trailing edge twice instead of the transom twice if I screwed up. Goodluck!

Great tips. Thanks. I’m gonna get those bolts for sure. Makes sense. I think I’m ready for the first hole. Fingers crossed.

Another good thing about the 1/4-20 nuts is you can use whatever is left over to double nut the seats if you have suspension seats because over time they back out.

Just make sure you drill the holes where you have access to installing nuts and bolts. The transom has reinforcement pieces of aluminum you need to avoid. The carpet glued to the transom doesn't make it easier so you should cut a little area so you can put some 5200 where the wires come into the boat to stop water instusion because the cylinders mount very close to the water line.

Great tips. Thanks. I’m gonna get those bolts for sure. Makes sense. I think I’m ready for the first hole. Fingers crossed.

Wow that looks a lot harder than it should have been. You would think the factory would plan better for something like that. Great that you got them installed though and I’m sure you will love them as well.

Oly

Back