Trim Tab options - Which system is better?

7Deuce

I'm pricing out trim tabs for my boat. I've been on the fence between Lenco electric tabs and Bennett hydraulic tabs. I have been of the opinion that Bennett might be the way to go because it's the "Tried and True" standard that most boats out where I am seem to have. I have a couple buddies with Lenco tabs on their boats and I've been pretty impressed with how responsive they are and I'm told they have been deadly reliable for them.

Today I went into Harbour Chandler and the guys there say they are pushing everyone toward the Bennett Bolt systems - Easier to install, cheaper to fix, less moving parts, faster performance...etc etc.

The Bennett Bolt systems apparently come with a limited lifetime warranty for parts. The Lenco system is a bit more expensive so it might be a toss up between the Bennett Hydraulic and the Bennett Electric.

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be the better system for the money? Anyone heard of any reliability issues with the Bennett Bolts?

Electric tabs....bin there dun that. I would just stay away from the electrics. I had to switch over to benets because there were so many issues with the electrics.

I have had 2 boats with bennetts. Larger is better (more planing surface). Trim position indicators are nice. As to response time, if you want to be constantly making trim setting changes, perhaps bennett's "auto-trim" system is for you.

Mine has tbe instatrims. They work fine just got rid of the plug at tbe motor and hardlined them in. When they do go i will go with the bennett hydralic.

I had Bennett hydraulics and they worked great for 10 years on my previous boat. I did not have indicators and that would have been very nice.

I have had both and I prefer the Lenco electrics. Cheap and easy to install

Insta trim hydraulic tabs..great product
Also best people around..they really stand behind their product if you have any issues..

I have Bennett hydraulics on my 2101 Striper. I only use the tabs to trim left/right attitude. I use my engine trim for up down attitude - i.e. getting on plane and optimizing the 'run' without porpoising. Once I've dialled in the bow up/down attitude with the engine trim and the left/right attitude with the tabs, I very rarely touch the tabs. I've been boating the Telegraph Cove area for the past week and doubt that I've touched my tabs more than three times since I got here. The indicators are a waste of $$ in my opinion. I don't need an indicator to see where they are, I can feel whether they are in the right position or not. The tabs work very well for what I use them for and have been absolutely trouble free.

24 years on my Insta-trims which were original equipment and installed on all Seasports. Work great, reliable and not not expensive. I found them on an online marine site in the US a few years ago and they were cheap. So picked up a new system identical to what I had on the boat. Switched out the motor, rams and tabs....left the original switches and wires as it would be to much of a pain to pull them out. Sold the used system with the new switches and wire harness in one day...I think it cost me less than $300 to put the new stuff of the boat

I run the Bennett hydraulics as well. The kit was easy to install. I don't find much use for indicators and level the boat constantly as people move around or the sea conditions change.

Bennett's all the way. Hydraulic is way better for the long run than electric. Too many issues with the electrics. Worry free for many years with the hydraulic system.

I'm surprised there is almost no love for any of the electric trim tab systems. I can't imagine that wont be the way these systems go eventually but I guess the kinks aren't totally out yet.

My boat will require a system with an indicator. A combination of the hull design and the weight distribution means it will likely benefit from a reasonably heavy amount of trim for up/down attitude. Looks like I'll be going with a Bennett Hydraulic with indicator system - probably the 12" x 12" unless I can reasonably fit something slightly larger under my pod. Thanks for all the input

16 yrs on my Bennetts - no issues. I think you can oversize tabs and then they become very sensitive. Make sure you size them correctly. You may want to contact Bennett directly unless you can find sizing info online.
Stosh

I have had 2 boats with Bennetts and 2 with Lencos. The Bennetts gave me trouble while the Lenco's have been faultless. I did the Lenco install on my current boat myself - 8 years ago. I'm not very mechanical but I would say the installation was very easy. Less components to deal with. If Bennett is providing a lifetime warranty on their new electric system, I would seriously consider their product. It's interesting that after so many years, Bennett is now offering an all electrical trim tab. It makes we wonder if they realized that Lenco had a good idea ?

Hydraulics on mine with 11 years trouble free and minimal maintenance - swap out the zincs on the tabs is about it. The electric field on the boat is fishy so even if the electrics were better, not sure I would want to take the risk of messing up the field and then have to work to get it dialed back in.

I researched this same thing extensively a few years ago, and have now used both.
In summary:
Lenco is easier to install and moves the tabs more rapidly up and down.
Bennett is easier to maintain (and their help line is awesome!) and more durable.
Both are very good systems.

Back