TransportCanada

S

snowwhite

I Herd that we as of FishingGuides are going to need. As of May1 The MarineAdvancedFirstAid Level1. And the SVOP by Nov1. Can anyone comfirm. Thanks Snowwhite

I just completed my " MED A3" doing my SVOP in 2 weeks , I will ask my instructor on Sunday , VHF Course ( Radio Operator's Card ), cheers , FD....:)

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

Corrected

Last I heard the requirement was MED3 and Radio Operator Card. This is what I was told last year when I took these courses.
Can anyone confirm this?

I know some lodges require more but that is a company policy.

Thanks,
Tips

Completed my MED3 and SVOP last month. Pretty straight forward course, but the instructor was very set in his ways about how things are to be done.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I've done all the courses and the inspections for the vessel.
I could go on and on about how the process is flawed but we have heard it all before...
The real truth is that Transport Canada really has no clear juristiction in our business and your insurance is what needs to be looked after properly...
I still can't believe that independant operaters such as I have to go through such a process/requirments but the larger outfits/lodges can still charge people huge money and let them run around un-guided in small tin/fiberglass boats with no experience what so ever, and that somehow seems o.k.
The process is flawed beyond belief...

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

Time to clean it all up into 1 guide licence?

Take only what you need.

Probably a good idea to license guides. It would certainly thin the herd a little bit, and is the norm most places. Have a limited number of guides, have each guy licensed to guide a certain place, and call it good. BEsides, it would make your guiding business worth something once you are ready to sell, as I understand in Washington the only way to become a saltwater guide is to buy a guys biz.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

IO bet Jimmy P or Oak Bay Marine group would love that. The guide industry does not need more consolidation any more than it needs more regulation. The little guys have historicaly provided the necessary capacity for the overflow time, ie July and August, and are necessary to both the industry and the recreational economy.

I'm not in favour of licensing saltwater guides, but if a rumour starts I'll be the second one to get out there and sign up, and restart a small guide operation. Don't forget, you're not commercial fishing, you're providing a platform from which sporties can access the fish. Right?

I'll add that when we talk of licensing guides and making it so that the only way we can guide is to buy a license from another guide, we are setting up yet another self-indulged preferred user group. This is not the way I would see "our" recreational fishery going.

"BEsides, it would make your guiding business worth something once you are ready to sell."

Doesn't that sound a little like the halibut quota?

I agree with richmake in the way that he believes that a guide licence well get rid of the riff raff, this is what I thought the TC inspection would do. As it turns out, every time I turn around, theyve changed one or more requirements.
This is what Ive decided to do... continue to do what Ive been doing until they actually come to me and tell me I need to do something. Until then, if I can get insurance, Im gonna continue to do what I love to do.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Ive been fishing the Island for twenty years my boys have been guiding for different lodges the past few years so going against everyones advice I decided to jump in and buy the boat I need in Nov 08 to get started guiding atleast part time any how. I took the Med Course a couple of years ago. So I talk to Transport Canada and get the process going started up all the paperwork even sent my 50 bucks to the Feds for my Commercial #s I noticed weeks ago the check came out no problem. Faxed Nanaimo with all the info they wanted for this friggin sticker inspection in Dec 08. I havent heard nothin back from any of them is this all a sham or what. I have a few friends guiding independtly and I hear different info from all of them. I just want to get it started up and like alot of you guys I dont think were in it for the money because we wouldnt be doing it. Im hoping to get a buisness going have some fun and hard days and maybe one day one of the boys can jump in. Thats all. But this Transport Canada stuff really makes me wonder if its worth it!

It would be great if they knew what they were doing but one guy for the whole south Is doesnt cut it it seems every time I call you get a different story???Had dot pulll me over on the ocean and slammed him with multiple questions he had NO clue and he couldnt answer any of my concerns or questions.

Liscencing aint going to do squat all it will do is create a black market of people taking "friends" out which will untimatlly hurt the industry for one whos going to police it ??? they cant even put fisheries officers out now???

How the herd is going to get thinned is if there is too many it will be the doom for others is poor service companies come and go if you dont produce and are not good with customers it doesnt matter if it fishing or running a restaurant you dont get people back.
Bottom line look at how many times you see a restaurant fold its a revolving door sometimes it all comes down to HOW someone runs there business.PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Wolf

That might be true Wolf, but it would simply be up to the guests if they want to book with a "licenced" guide or not. I wasn't thinking of a licence to fish, but IMHO more of a licence that covers everything that is required by the Government, Navigation/ small boaters/ radio handling/ first Aid. All under one licence. Most of us have these anyways, so I don't think there would be anything new, just tidy things up a bit and get all of the different government departments on the same page. As for who would enforce it. What's there to enforce? Either you are a licenced guide or your not.

In Alaska these are the requirements to get a photo ID guide card:
•A guide must have a current Alaska Sport Fish License (and a king salmon stamp if applicable).
•A current U.S.C.G. Operator's license if operating a motorized vessel on navigable waters. Determination of navigable waters is made by the U.S. Coast Guard.
•Current first aid card.
•Be a resident of the United States, Canada, Mexico or a resident alien.

I think I will get one.. just for the hell of it..:D
Take only what you need.

HOW many courses do I need REALLY if it was for good then Yes im all for it but it seems more of a cash grab, all we are doing is taking people out fishing PERIOD its not like we are doing open heart surgery!!!!!Whens the last time you had to deploy a life raft off of your boat or get ready for a helicopter rescue or my favorite lets talk about HALON on our boat for 3 hours as its been banned now since the 60s but lets have training on it, if these courses were pertaining to WHAT we accually do and not going over stuff that really is a waste of time.

You say
quote: IMHO more of a licence that covers everything that is required by the Government, Navigation/ small boaters/ radio handling/ first Aid. All under one licence.

Hey thats sounds great but how about EVERYONE that goes out and OWNS a boat???bet you the sportfisherman and weekend warriors wont like it at all as they only go out a about 20 times a year

Ill use some examples at my marina there is about at most 8 guide boats and 4 of them run full time but there is close to 130 to 150 pleasure boats and on any given weekend be it SS or Cheanuh there is I bet close to 100 weekend day launchers going out.

It is blowing like hell us charter guys dont go as there is 6 to 8 footers out there and we cancel but not joe in his 15 foot runabout with a old chrysler engine off he goes AFTER we warn him along with another 20 "pleasure" boaters. to get the snot beat out of them and I know why they go because thats the only time but the point is is risking your life and the possability of killing ones self!!!!! really is it worth it for a STUPID FISH

So what good is all these regs if people are endangering themselves and nothing is pertaining to what we do????

Couple years ago witnessed 3 boats in one week sink and not one of them were charter guys I know one of them didnt even have a bilge as it "broke" a couple of weeks prior and "didnt" have the time to fix it
But hey i got the cousres to uuuuummmm know we cant use Halon on boats anymore and hey ill help you ill rescue you ill deploy my life raft for you oh yeah sorry I dont have one of them because im NOT required too</u>

ITS ALL A CROCK

Wolf

Thanks for the replies guys.We will haft to wait and see what happens. But i think its starting to turn in to a joke with transportcanada?

First off ill say Im sorry for may rant this am I am just getting fed up with reg changes haliquota, chinook restrictions DFO, and all this stuff when is enough enough?????? it really starting to wear thin.
I think Im just plain wore out by it all.

Sorry

Wolf

No need to be "sorry" whatsoever Wolf. Pretty well everyone in the know believes this to be a waste of time as far as any practical application goes. And most sincerely believe this is simply a Cash-Grab that will have little, if any</u> positive influence on the few bad actors out there. Unfortunately the rest of us law-abiders continue to roll with the punches. [V]

All in all, it IS a Crock. But then again, it is the Feds... [B)]

Cheers,
Nog - Also Jumpin' Through Da Hoops...

Got my Limited Masters last May, put all the needed safety equip on boats...but then we sent all the appropriate forms and pictures of the boat for C number and what not to TC and still have not heard back...kind of ridiculous...will probably send again next month...but if they don't reply to that one...well screw them to be quite frank.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Back