Transom ladder input

Fisherman Rob

I am thinking of installing a three step transom ladder to starboard on my Double Eagle 175. I'm anticipating it will be a bit of a challenge given the bait locker located right close to the transom where the upper through bolts will fasten, will see how that goes...

There are two ladders from Amarine I am considering. They are pretty much identical except for the bracing on the starboard side of one is under the platform (ladder A below). Given the brace would be fastened to the transom below the water line, I think I prefer the design with both braces above (ladder B).

Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of either design and why I might chose one over the other?

Ladder A:
Ladder 1.PNG

Ladder B:
Ladder 2.PNG

Last edited:
For the record, I got this response from Garelick, which make almost identical ladders:

Hello Rob and thank you for your email. Typically the 19536 is used with outboards where the motor may interfere with the wrap around rail. If you have enough room to accommodate the 19546 then you can certainly go this route. We do not recommend installing the support strut at or below the waterline. For the 19546 the you will need 18" in width and 19" in depth to install this without interference.

I will be installing a ladder this summer as well. Although its an under the grid style one so I didn't chime in on your post. I would think style B would be your best option for that transom for the reasons Garelick mentioned as long as your Main outboard won't hit it?

Yes, I'm hoping it wont hit the motor, an older yamaha 115 V4 2-smoke, which is quite fat. So will have to measure out carefully, maybe mock it up somehow before ordering. Looks like there is space to starboard though...Capture.PNG

Last edited:
I installed a Garelick with the single hand hold on my 19’er. I did install the support strut below the waterline, though. Its just one more bolt through the transom below the waterline. Looks like a ‘cover your butt’ instruction that the legal team made them include.
Take the usual precautions when installing the bolt & it’s not a problem imo.
My boat has an 8’ beam & there’s plenty of space between the step & the motor.
It’d be nice to have two hand holds, but I don’t have any trouble hauling my fat old arse out of the water with one.
I’d get the measurements from the ad & dummy the step up using cardboard. That’d take out the guesswork.

Here’s what I had on mine. Never interfered with the motor. When we were using it, just swung the motor over to port and stepped in splashwell to get on ladder platform.

Attachments

• F2F4FE9C-6A3D-4FB0-9881-978C09555DCD.jpeg
    F2F4FE9C-6A3D-4FB0-9881-978C09555DCD.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 86
After calling the local marine store, a similar ladder was going to be $395+ tax. As much as I want to support the local store, I can justify an extra $200 even if the quality might be better. So I ordered ladder B above from Amazon for $179 (including tax and shipping).

Installed the ladder yesterday morning. After spending a lot of time dry fitting and adjusting it fits perfectly. I had to move the telescoping ladder forward on the platform to clear the transom eye, and it was really tight reaching back and up behind the locker.
6D1DA70E-49AE-4818-A503-30D5D4418E7A.jpeg

It occurred to me after I installed the ladder that the type with the brace below is for boats with outboards not because "...the motor may interfere with the wrap around rail" as Garelick indicated, but because of the motor well cutout in the transom. In sixohfour's older DE, there is no transom to attach an upper rail to, so the brace has to go underneath the platform. I didn't really consider this when I ordered it. I was fortunate that it fit because I had less than 1" to spare once it was all lined up.

Last edited:
Back