Transducer

Corbin

Gentlemen,

I know there are many threads on transducers and I've read and read, but I'm still not there. I seem to only get sales people and no one has good advice on the package I'm trying to put together.

So: I have a Commander 30 which I both cruise and fish in. I am installing a Simrad Evo3 on top of a NMEA2000 backbone. Salmon to 150 feet and Hali to 300. This transducer will be a thru hull. I believe I have narrowed down my options to an Airmar B175m or the B75m. That said l am also interested in the Totalscan. I think the B175m is the easy choice, but the 75 would be fine. I don't need the side/down scan for fishing, but it would be fun to have for all the gunkholeing I do. The specs say that the chirp in the total scan is medium and high and 500 watts.

Has anyone had any experience with the total scan? Is the chirp in it subpar to the B75m.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Gentlemen,

I know there are many threads on transducers and I've read and read, but I'm still not there. I seem to only get sales people and no one has good advice on the package I'm trying to put together.

So: I have a Commander 30 which I both cruise and fish in. I am installing a Simrad Evo3 on top of a NMEA2000 backbone. Salmon to 150 feet and Hali to 300. This transducer will be a thru hull. I believe I have narrowed down my options to an Airmar B175m or the B75m. That said l am also interested in the Totalscan. I think the B175m is the easy choice, but the 75 would be fine. I don't need the side/down scan for fishing, but it would be fun to have for all the gunkholeing I do. The specs say that the chirp in the total scan is medium and high and 500 watts.

Has anyone had any experience with the total scan? Is the chirp in it subpar to the B75m.

Any and all opinions welcome.
Hey Commander brother! :)
That's all I've got...

Hey Corbin. I have a 30 as well and will be upgrading to Garmin gear this spring. Currently have Raymarine E120's that came with the boat.
I have the Garmin gear all sorted out except the transducer. Too many choices it seems. The boat currently has an Airmar B744v Transducer that is built into the bottom of the boat. It has a recessed hole in the bottom to make it flush. So any new transducer will not fit in there as the hole is much wider on the old ones - 2". The electronics guy I talked to said to just leave it in place and drill a new hole for the new transducer. Hate to have more holes in the boat but seems to be the easiest way.
I am looking at the B175HW as the high and wide seems to cover most of the water column I want to see. Not sure if I can use a 0 degree one and mount center line as the hull inside is flat and kind of rounded outside on the bottom.

Where are you located? Are you on the Commander Facebook page or email list? Attending the rendezvous this year? PM me if you want to join up.
Cheers!

IMG_7295 (Small).jpeg IMG_7303 v2.jpg

Hello,
I'm not worried about the glass work or fairing for the B175m, what ever I decide I can make it fit, plan on installing in the same location. B175HW does not seem to be an option with Simrad. Still really interested in the Totalscan too.

We are in North Saanich. Don't do Facebook, but may be interested in the rendezvous. Have to check dates, we are planning on spending all of June on the West side of the Island.
Thanks

I believe the B175HW is dual frequency so the Evo may not support it. Depending on which head unit I get a
I may go with the B175M as well. Also looking at the M260 so no holes and then I don’t have to haul out.
Am going to the Vancouver boat show and hopping to get more info there from the reps.

Would love to see some pictures whe you install the transducer to see how it fits.

Here’s the Commander website with Rendezvous details. It’s a great event and last year about 25 boats.

https://commanderrendezvous.com/rendezvous/

I’m in North Van but have gone to Bamfield last 3 years in mid August. Would love to spend a whole summer on the west coast of Vancouver island or do a circumnavigation.

We circumnavigated in our last boat. I used to live in Tofino and knew the area very well. We will run right up to the Brooks and work our way back, love the outside.

I'm still leaning toward the Totalscan, looks like I can mount in the same place without too much mess. If I don't like the chirp aspect of it I can add in the B75m later. Realistically, any chirp is going to be leaps and bounds better than what I'm used to.

I have one more coat of PU to put down then I can start putting things back together. Then the electrical starts...

Attachments

• Floor 1.jpg
    Floor 1.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 152
go with a pair of Airmar chirps SS 175-med and a SS175 high wide..
or B-175's med and high wide ...
most of the the new transducers are now just in a Stainless body rather than bronze..
and get the x- sonic ones there the black 9 pin so you will get Xid to your Evo ...
so no messing with adapter cables ...
dont be fooled/ misled by whats just listed on the simrad web site or some stockist?

go with a pair of Airmar chirps SS 175-med and a SS175 high wide..
or B-175's med and high wide ...
most of the the new transducers are now just in a Stainless body rather than bronze..
and get the x- sonic ones there the black 9 pin so you will get Xid to your Evo ...
so no messing with adapter cables ...
dont be fooled/ misled by whats just listed on the simrad web site or some stockist?
Is there an advantage of stainless over bronze? I thought for a boat that sits in the water Bronze is less corrosive?
The B175HW is a fairly new unit and has a constant 25 degree beam angle.

Is there an advantage of stainless over bronze? I thought for a boat that sits in the water Bronze is less corrosive?
The B175HW is a fairly new unit and has a constant 25 degree beam angle.

Bronze can't be used on an aluminium hull, stainless can be. I think the bronze is better for a fiberglass hull.

2005, D4-210. Boat is in great shape, just want some updates. New fabric and canvas coming as well.

I may still go with the 175m,

Attachments

• Commander 30.jpg
    Commander 30.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 78
We circumnavigated in our last boat. I used to live in Tofino and knew the area very well. We will run right up to the Brooks and work our way back, love the outside.

I'm still leaning toward the Totalscan, looks like I can mount in the same place without too much mess. If I don't like the chirp aspect of it I can add in the B75m later. Realistically, any chirp is going to be leaps and bounds better than what I'm used to.

I have one more coat of PU to put down then I can start putting things back together. Then the electrical starts...

I added gas struts to both inside hatches and the engine hatch. Makes a huge difference! Easy to open and they stay open. The inside ones are easy and you already have the hinges installed. I think I used 2 x 30 pound for the big hatch and one 30 pound for the small hatch. The engine hatch is 2 x 120 pound stainless steel and I had to make a custom bracket for the lower attachment. Gemini Gas Springs is in Vernon BC and they will make any strut to your specification.

IMG_7152 (Small).jpg IMG_7153 (Small).jpg

Struts look great, will definitely be putting them on the inside hatches.
More phone calls today - the 175HW is available for Simrad, just have to get the SS which has the new 9 pin cord. I might try to get to the boat show too.

Struts look great, will definitely be putting them on the inside hatches.
More phone calls today - the 175HW is available for Simrad, just have to get the SS which has the new 9 pin cord. I might try to get to the boat show too.
So does it sound like the 175HW is the one to get?

I wish I had an answer for you, and for myself. The HW does sound like a good option, as wildthing mentioned.
The Total Scan I was looking at "supports chirp" rather than being "chirp ready" makes me nervous.
I think we'll hit the show, hopefully there is rep there from Airmar and Navico, or at least a Simrad person that really knows their stuff.

Had a look at the exhibitors list for the show and there will be both a Garmin and a Simrad booth, here's hoping. Harbour Chandler from Nanaimo has some good boat show pricing.

not on high end Airmar all special order ...

but good deals can be had try PNT as well now they stock simrad. lowrance.

will be heading the show on wed before the weekend crowds...

Back