Transducer Placement

Damien

Hey again folks, so I need to move my transducer. I installed it in a spot that looked right at the time. Result was not good.

I put it in line with the bunk. But when loading the boat onto the trailer the boat can sit a bit further forward on the bunk, bumping the transducer.

So I need to move it. Either to the opposite side (port) or further starboard perhaps beside my speedo?

My kicker is to port, so that's probably not the best option.

I feel like it if I mount it further starboard of the speedo that it won't be good either.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180825_111033.jpg
    20180825_111033.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 141
Adjust your bow roller back so the boat doesn't come so far forward on the bunks. The position of the transducer looks okay to me.

X2 shorten the bunk. Next time you launch have a cordless skill saw. Peel the carpet back, cut the wood and re staple carpet with stainless staples.

Just move your winch post back what ever length your bunk sticks out the back. Simple as loosing 4 bolts and sliding back and tighten back up. No cutting or drilling.

You might want to consider getting rid of the speed senser,it isn't needed when you have GPS. Fill all the holes and mount your transducer to a piece of Starboard (glued on w/Sikaflex).Holes in the transom are just a bad idea.

In the future to avoid drilling holes in your hull (it's a phobia of mine) get a decent sized piece of sheet plastic that you can bolt or screw your transducer(s) to. You then use vhb tape to stick the plastic to your transom. That stuff is unbelievably strong if you apply it on a surface prepped with alcohol. I did this on my tinny and it held for years like that until I sold it. Probably still there. That way if you don't like your transducer position you just move it over and keep your hull hole free, which is the way it should stay.

I had this problem too. I shortened my bunk. It does not affect trailering as moving the winch post might, as it will affect the tongue weight at the hitch.

IF your boat has a solid core... best place to mount it is in the bilge area with an epoxy mixture. Have done it on a few boats and it works great. NEVER have to worry about knocking the damn thing off or it getting bounced out of shape. gl

^ seems like a lot of money for the same concept several posters have already mentioned. I happened to have some scrap strips of Lexan so I used clear silicone to make them into a 3/4" thick block and siliconed it to the transom and then pilot drilled and screwed the transducer to the lexan. Allows plenty of experimentation with transducer location and zero holes in the hull.

Hey again folks, so I need to move my transducer. I installed it in a spot that looked right at the time. Result was not good.

I put it in line with the bunk. But when loading the boat onto the trailer the boat can sit a bit further forward on the bunk, bumping the transducer.

So I need to move it. Either to the opposite side (port) or further starboard perhaps beside my speedo?

My kicker is to port, so that's probably not the best option.

I feel like it if I mount it further starboard of the speedo that it won't be good either.

Thoughts?

Where’s your license plate from? Looks like South Africa or New Zealand.

I think it’s from a Belize City in the Caribbean. Seen one like it down there.

Oly

Back