Transducer mounting block

I’m looking to mount a transducer without putting any holes into my transom.

I’ve heard you can sikaflex some kind of mounting block to the transom and avoid fasteners. Was thinking UHM but apparently sikaflex won’t stick to it.

many suggestions on material for mounting block or process in general?

CC

There was a thread on here just a few weeks ago. Use the search for stern saver

Chunk of starboard and use 3m 5200 or equivalent to glue er to the back

Take a grinder and make cross hatches to the starboard so its got something to grip too

Go to amazon.ca and search "stern pad". It is for mounting a transducer without having to use screws. I picked one up for my inflatable, but I have not installed it yet.

I am not sure I would trust 5200 to hold on indefinably, I used West Systems Gflex epoxy so far its rock solid!
I found an 18'' x 5" cutoff piece of Starboard at Ind. Plast. today. I already have Gflex and Sikaflex. Both peel off an ice cream lid pretty easy once kicked. Maybe I'll try one on each boat.

I am not sure I would trust 5200 to hold on indefinably, I used West Systems Gflex epoxy so far its rock solid!

Check out the 23 and 26 hourston build the guy compares 3m 5200 and pl400 together and does a pull test, it literally pulls the wood apart thats how strong it is.

Guy at trotac recommended using a product that would allow you to change out the block if you want. Personal preference I guess. How many times does a guy really need to change a transducer.

I wouldn't use 5200. 4200 should be good. The transducer is attached by a cable...as long as you don't have a bunch of slack if it comes off it's not going anywhere, and you'll know because you'll lose your depth reading right away.

I marked off an area (with masking tape) on my transom where I wanted to install my transducer mounting block. I sanded the gelcoat wit 80 grit sandpaper within the marked off area. I selected a piece of clear red cedar to use as the block. I used West System Epoxy to secure the block, no holes drilled to secure it. Screws used to secure the transducer were in the cedar only. It has been on for about 4 years with no issues.

How many times does a guy really need to change a transducer.

Exactly. I did a block on my previous boat and mounted my transducer to it. And it was the only only one I ever put on it! So with my next boat, I didn’t bother with the block. I just carefully drilled holes and filled them with Sikalfex. Coated the screws in Sikalflex and put them in. I’m not worried about it.

I am pretty sure they don't recommend SikaFlex for underwater applications. use 5200 its designed for underwater applications.

Not true. Sikaflex 291 is a polyurethane sealant just like 3M 4200 and 5200. And Sikaflex marine sealants are designed for use above and below the waterline, as are 4200 and 5200.

I wonder if PL premium you’d do the trick. It’s a polyurethane adhesive and fr my experience in carpentry it will bond pretty well anything. Then maybe seal around the block with sikaflex or 3M

I cut a hockey puck and glued it to my transom of my trailered Princecraft 12' tinny with PL. Failed once over 15 yrs. saltwater, freshwater and logging roads. Doesn't always have to be NASA approved. :)

Back