trailersize

lazylump

I bought a used ez loader trailer and the length is ok but I found that my boat hangs over the tires. Is the boat too wide for the trailer? Thanks

Tough to say without seeing it, some do somne dont depends on boat and trailer.
can you post a picture or two?

There are 3 issues with an over-hanging boat...the first is that you'll always need to have your mirrors and eyes focussed on the sides of the boat rather than the trailer tires and the ground simply because while your trailer tires may avoid obstacles it doesn't mean your boat will....second is that, unless the boat has a very low centre of gravity, the trailer becomes very unstable when towing and more prone to swaying and tipping. Boats with outboards, electric down riggers, self-draining hulls/decks and other apparatus above the waterline are likely going to have a higher centre of gravity anyway and thus be affected more. The third issue is where the bunks or rollers are located relative to the trailer axle...lower and wider (i.e . closer to the wheels) is going to be more stable. Would suggest some slow, controlled road tests under varying conditions (hills, curves and speeds) is probably the best way to get a feel for it.

my boats about 11,000# (13,000# if you include the trailer weight), 9'6" wide, and overhangs the trailer on both sides...... doesn't seem to be an issue for me. (trailer is rated for 16,000#'s) I'd be more concerned that the trailer is rated for the weight of the boat, brakes are in good shape, etc... wet spot brings up some good points.

Thanks for the replies. The boat is pretty light, it's a 16' aluminum princecraft with a ply floor and a 2 str 25 hp and a 4 hp kicker and misc stuff. I think the trailer is rated for 700kg so I should be close to that even inc trailer. It does bounce around a bit, but I haven't driven much yet.

Over-width permit???

I bought a used ez loader trailer and the length is ok but I found that my boat hangs over the tires. Is the boat too wide for the trailer? Thanks

You may need a over-width permit???

Maximum widths for Recreational Vehicles:
Maximum total overall width for recreational vehicles is 2.6 metres (8 feet 6 inches)
Mirrors (only) may exceed the width of the vehicle by 20 cm (8 inches) on each side.

i doubt he'd need that with a 16' aluminum.... I need one for mine though at 9'6"

In BC you only need an over width permit on a boat that is over 10'5" in width; over that you need a wide load sign as well and a beacon on your truck roof. At 9'6" you are road legal; I looked into this prior to buying my new boat. So you are good to go Bigdog!

are you 100% sure on that TC? I'm almost certain that at 9'6" I need a wide load permit. I know I don't need the wide load sign, beacon or pilot car... but do need red flags on four corners of the boat.... I've always gotten a permit whenever i've been on the highway... but know quite a few guys don't. just usually phone in for it and get one good for a month if i know i'll be travelling around with it for a bit. think it was $30.00 for the month last time I got one...but i just want to know i'm 100% legal if anything went wrong. I'll check into it again but could have sworn I need the permit at 9'6".... I know down in oregon and washington you do... but was sure that here in BC it was also necessary at that width. hope I'm wrong... will save a bit of hassle every time I want to haul it some where.

Last edited by a moderator:
anything over 8'6" requires an oversize permit, anything over 8'6" requires oversize Banners or at min red flags on all 4 corners.
permits are easily obtained for the TOW vehicle not the oversize load itself, permits are 20$ a day or 30$ for a month
Call in if you dont believe me
provincial permit center
Toll-Free: 1-800-559-9688, (phone tree)
Available from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time); 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) during daylight savings time; seven days a week (except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day

Last edited by a moderator:
In BC you only need an over width permit on a boat that is over 10'5" in width; over that you need a wide load sign as well and a beacon on your truck roof. At 9'6" you are road legal; I looked into this prior to buying my new boat. So you are good to go Bigdog!
Last time I checked was $350 per year. For 9'6"

Back