Trailer Wiring- Reverse Lockout

Ringo

Crew Member
I just installed new disc brakes on my trailer with a reverse lockout solenoid. I have a flat 4-pole connector on the trailer side and have also installed the wiring for the reverse lockout (5 in total). On my truck, I have the factory installed 7-pin and 4-pin female connectors.
What would be the cleanest way to hook up the reverse lockout wire to the truck without making too much alterations? One option is to splice a wire to the backup light but I don’t want to run wires around the truck bed.

I’ve seen adaptors (5-pin to 7-pin) but not sure if they can handle the abuse of salt water.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The Factory 7 pin connector has a reverse light trigger on it. its pin 7, the middle one. i would just convert your trailer to a 7 pin and use that one.

upload_2019-6-4_16-44-48.png

I use the adaptor on my truck/trailer. No issues for the 5 years I've used it. Never had an issue with salt water, but then I've never had to back my truck so far down a ramp that the wiring harness got wet!

Thanks, guys. Any idea why I should use an adaptor instead of converting the trailer to a 7 pin? And no, i usually don’t back the trailer too far down unless it’s one of those super low tides at the Vanier launch.

Thanks, guys. Any idea why I should use an adaptor instead of converting the trailer to a 7 pin? And no, i usually don’t back the trailer too far down unless it’s one of those super low tides at the Vanier launch.
You are on the right track. Just install a 7 way plug and be done with it. Connect the reverse lockout to the center pin which is you reverse lights. Do a nice job and use some loom or heat shrink to tidy it all up and you will be good to go. I've used adapters before and there is a time and place for them but but if you can eliminate an unnecessary connector in a wiring harness you should try to do so.

Use generous amounts of dielectric grease on your connections to keep corrosion at bay.
Is dielectric grease an insulator? Everything was working fine on the new connector until I added some dielectric grease. After that, none of the lights are working o_O

Is dielectric grease an insulator? Everything was working fine on the new connector until I added some dielectric grease. After that, none of the lights are working o_O
Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... Thegrease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.

If your connections are tight, the grease will get wiped off the mating surfaces when the connection is made. If your connections are loose, the grease won't get wiped off and the grease will insulate the connection.

Back