Trailer brakes

RMAC

Just wondering if anyone has an idea what could be the issue with my trailer brakes. I have a tandem axle trailer with surge drum brakes.

I have been having issues with one brake for a while now. On my way up Vancouver Island last year it was heating up. I took it into a place on the way there and they said there was some rust buildup which they got rid of and I went the rest of the way up the Island and back to Vancouver without any issues.

I had it sitting a fair bit over this winter and when I went to tow it in a couple of weeks ago for engine servicing the one brake was locked up and the tire was dragging. I backed up and it seemed to unlock. When I got to the shop that hub was getting somewhat hot.

I picked up the boat a few days later and towed it over to the Richmond launch and all hubs were completely cool. Launched the boat and went out for 5 or 6 hours. Came back to the launch and when I pulled forward with the trailer both wheels on the one side of the trailer were locked up. I tried backing up again and the wheels would spin in reverse but going forward again they were still locked up. I had to jack up the trailer and move the star wheel to get them to spin again.

I am planning to take it into a shop and possibly have disc brakes put on but this trailer is only 4 - 5 years old.

It just seems strange that I picked it up from the service shop, drove it to the launch and everything was completely cool for the hubs and then when I want to pull the boat out the 2 wheels are completely locked.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Drums on a boat trailer, and into the salt, doesn’t that make a ton of sense??!!

On my trailer with tandem discs and surge, had an incredible amount of trouble. On any kind of downgrade the pick up would gear down the trailer weight would push forward and engage the surge brakes. Got so hot it run the grease into oil and out of the bearings. Last season I installed an electric over hydraulic system. Much better system and since have had no issues. To eliminate your issues you might want to look into discs and elimate the surge. Won’t be cheap though..

Ditto on surge brakes as chuck related. Changed mine over to electric as well, much better but you are still not out of the weeds. Saltwater plus brakes equals maintenance. Disc brakes are better yet but google them and you will find that they are not the holy grail either, still have issues even with the extra cost. Boils down to how much you can afford to reduce the yearly maintenance costs vs. cost of disc over electric drums.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea what could be the issue with my trailer brakes. I have a tandem axle trailer with surge drum brakes.

I have been having issues with one brake for a while now. On my way up Vancouver Island last year it was heating up. I took it into a place on the way there and they said there was some rust buildup which they got rid of and I went the rest of the way up the Island and back to Vancouver without any issues.

I had it sitting a fair bit over this winter and when I went to tow it in a couple of weeks ago for engine servicing the one brake was locked up and the tire was dragging. I backed up and it seemed to unlock. When I got to the shop that hub was getting somewhat hot.

I picked up the boat a few days later and towed it over to the Richmond launch and all hubs were completely cool. Launched the boat and went out for 5 or 6 hours. Came back to the launch and when I pulled forward with the trailer both wheels on the one side of the trailer were locked up. I tried backing up again and the wheels would spin in reverse but going forward again they were still locked up. I had to jack up the trailer and move the star wheel to get them to spin again.

I am planning to take it into a shop and possibly have disc brakes put on but this trailer is only 4 - 5 years old.

It just seems strange that I picked it up from the service shop, drove it to the launch and everything was completely cool for the hubs and then when I want to pull the boat out the 2 wheels are completely locked.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Have you tried adjusting your trailer gain down in the truck? Mine was brand new and my brakes were set pretty tight so I just adjusted the gain to very low in my pickup and it’s completely fine now. Hubs not hot.

Had it happen to me on previous trailers with drum brakes.Mine was the brake lining breaking loose from the shoe causing it to completely lock up. Happened while bringing my trailer home after dropping the boat in at marina so I had to pull the wheel off and pulled it home on 3 wheels (tandem trailer). Your lucky to get 4-5 years out of drum brakes,change them out for discs,problem solved.

Couple of possibilities. The star wheel adjusters have got the shoes too close to the drum causing too much heat buildup or maybe the return spring's in the brake assembly aren't retracting the shoes completely again causing too much friction.
New complete backing plate assemblies run around 80 bucks.

Wheel cylinders sticking, shoes are rust jacking, bad return springs.....the list goes on with drum and salt

yeah the old drum brake problem. i still run drums too because i'm planning on moving to a better trailer in the next couple of years and dont want to spend the money on upgrades right now. You are probably using the "free backing" type. Those things jam up all the time and are meant for farmers trailers to be used in dry weather. your better off just going with "non-freebacking" and because their mechanism is significantly simpler, they dont tend to jam up as much. that has been my experience anyways. they are still crap though, i've been through 3 sets in 4 years. i just change the shoes for 60$ a pair though, no sense in going crazy with money on it. As others have pointed out, have a plan to get yourself in disc brakes in the next couple years.

My first reaction - they have to be drum brakes. Pull them off and change over to disk. Disk brakes will give you less grief - BUT YOU STILL HAVE TO DO PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE.

Thanks for all of the info on here. I'm going to try to have more of a look at them this weekend.

I will plan to replace them with disc brakes.

Back