Trailer Brakes upgrade

Fully installed the Hydrastar system this weekend, It was very straight forward I have to give etrailers.com a shout out as there installation video was spot on and very well made. So nice to towing the boat now, no more clucking and banging when starting and stopping from the surge brakes. Truck controller works great too. My only advice is don't use the self tappers which come with the kit I broke 10 out of 12 bolts, they are very low quality. I drilled and tapped all the holes and installed stainless steel fasteners.

Great thread. I'm in the same boat (pun), and need to replace my electric drum brakes and thinking of electric ovens hydraulic. Do any of you know of a good back yard mechanic to do the install? I'm in Victoria. I'm sure I could handle it, but new baby and no time!

Thanks!

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I am in the market for a new trailer and would like to know the rule about EOH vs Surge brakes in Canada. Can someone point me to the exact threshold where EOH must be used? thank you. DAJ

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but I am in the market for a new trailer and would like to know the rule about EOH vs Surge brakes in Canada. Can someone point me to the exact threshold where EOH must be used? thank you. DAJ
Anything over 6160lbs needs brakes on all axles and EOH.

Buckets got it

I copied this for you
British ColumbiaTrailer Brake Requirements
  • Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less - Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
  • Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) - Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
  • Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) - Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.
The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

Buckets got it

I copied this for you
British ColumbiaTrailer Brake Requirements
  • Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less - Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
  • Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) - Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
  • Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) - Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.
The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.
thank you Mike Park, and Buckethead905. I have been in violation with my surge brakes on prior boat and with new rig, I will look to remedy situation. DAJ

thank you Mike Park, and Buckethead905. I have been in violation with my surge brakes on prior boat and with new rig, I will look to remedy situation. DAJ
It's a good upgrade. Especially with all the idiot drivers around, being able to dial in your brakes is very comforting.

i have surge drum brakes on my trailer snd i want to upgrade to surge disc brakes with a hydraulic actuator. my current Titan actuator and the entire system is no bueno. anyone have any good leads for parts or a parts store? i’ve been told everything from 200 -2000( which seems more likely. i will be doing the work my self

i have surge drum brakes on my trailer snd i want to upgrade to surge disc brakes with a hydraulic actuator. my current Titan actuator and the entire system is no bueno. anyone have any good leads for parts or a parts store? i’ve been told everything from 200 -2000( which seems more likely. i will be doing the work my self
I upgraded my new to me dual axle Road Runner trailer last year from useless drum brakes to surge Kodiak disc brakes. I did all the work myself for a bit more than $1200 through Lordco. It was a very easy job, I can monkey wrench but I’m not a mechanic. I did just replace the bearings this summer with Timken bearings as I blew 2 sets heading to Port Hardy back in June and wanted some better quality bearings going forward.

I upgraded my new to me dual axle Road Runner trailer last year from useless drum brakes to surge Kodiak disc brakes. I did all the work myself for a bit more than $1200 through Lordco. It was a very easy job, I can monkey wrench but I’m not a mechanic. I did just replace the bearings this summer with Timken bearings as I blew 2 sets heading to Port Hardy back in June and wanted some better quality bearings going forward.
Thanks. i helped the neighbour do his dual axle from drums and oil bath hubs to discs so i’m pretty confident with his help, i can do my single axle to discs. appreciate the heads up

I was the same, I discovered mine was not legal also. I purchased a conversion kit from Sealand in Richmond (Hydrastar) and I love it

attached is a photo of Electric Over Hydraulic made on Venture trailer that came with surge brake actuator. I wish i could take credit for this work, but had a guy do if for me, but now I am legal! DAJ

Attachments

• PXL_20211113_002259946.jpg
    PXL_20211113_002259946.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20211113_002311566.jpg
    PXL_20211113_002311566.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 49
Back