Trailer Brake Pads.

Newf

Crew Member
As noted in a recent thread that I read on failed trailer bearings, I checked mine and while the bearings were OK but I found that one of the brake pads had separated from the backing plate. I replaced the pads today and found that all 4 pads had separated from their backing plates. (Single axle trailer) These are UFP brand disc brakes and have been on the trailer for just over two years. The pads are worn about 50% or less. It appears that these pads are just bonded to the backing plates with some type of epoxy as there are no signs of mechanical fasteners. I'm thinking that the mode of failure is related to heat that's created when braking. Still, I would think that the bonding method would be design to withstand the heat. If not it should be attached with mechanical fasteners if the bonding could not take the heat. Has anyone dealt with this before?? Calibers and rotors in good shape.

Note: The two holes in one of the photos of the backing plates is simply filled with the same material as the wear pad. I knocked it out to see what it was.

Attachments

• IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5434.JPG
    IMG_5434.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5446.JPG
    IMG_5446.JPG