TR-1 For Dummies

Go to a calm lake take about 30 mins to calibrate and away you go

Did you or do you play much with your I think it's the sea state function, or something like that, dulling it down?. I had mine on auto when I first bought it and between it and the riggers I basically drained my batteries running on the kicker in rougher conditions. It just never stops swinging back and forth.

That's when the auto seemed to be working fine, then for no apparent reason after a few times out she developed the pulling to one side that I guess requires the calibration you refer to.

I've had mine for 3 years, it did not come with the boat. So for a $3 grand investment it would be nice to have it working properly. That being the case, I recognize it's probably my own fault for not spending some time learning it but hey I get out on the boat and I wanna fish not read manuals.

I confess, I am a TR1 Dummy!:(

Yes I would use the sea state funtion I would normally turn it down to the 3 or the lowest setting it wont keep as tight of a course but your kicker is not jumping around like a crack head on the back of your boat. I really loved mine I sold it with my stabicraft. My remote was not wireless taking care of the cord and the remote is important this is a weak spot. Make sure your flux compass is mounted correct distance from all other electronics and its in the right spot.

My remote is not wireless either. I usually have it on the back seat when I'm playing a fish so I can just reach back to keep the fish on the side I want him. A cordless around the neck would be nice. Did you have the throttle bracket for your kicker? Mine got backordered and never came in so I never followed up on getting one. That would be nice to be able to ease back once the fish is under control. I read some things on guys saying the throttle function didn't work very well, but I don't know? The compass is on the opposite side to the instrumentation basically to the backside of the glove box. I've been careful not to keep any tools or flashlights with batteries in that compartment knowing it would effect it.

Yes I had throttle control and it worked great!! You could add a pro troll throttle control and they also work well I had both

Make sure the resevoir is full and system is completely bled of air or you will get
drifting to one side or the other or irratic piston movements

Yes I had throttle control and it worked great!! You could add a pro troll throttle control and they also work well I had both

That being the case, I will pickup the bracket. I've lost a couple of fish trying to reach in to pull back the throttle solo on a fast troll in heavy traffic. Now I need to find a calm lake in the lower mainland before the gong shows begin. Maybe Cultus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cultus would be great that where I tested my stabi it was flat as a mill pond. I live in the Okanagan if you ever pull your boat this way I could help you out.

Make sure the resevoir is full and system is completely bled of air or you will get
drifting to one side or the other or irratic piston movements

I think I'm good there. I checked that over several times. What are you refilling with. I've got some of the Seastar steering fluid I use for my main helm, can it be used with the TR1 as well or is it to heavy? I think they give you a mineral oil with it originally don't they?

Cultus would be great that where I tested my stabi it was flat as a mill pond. I live in the Okanagan if you ever pull your boat this way I could help you out.

I'm an old Salty Dog so you probably won't see her up that way but I appreciate the offer.

I think I'm good there. I checked that over several times. What are you refilling with. I've got some of the Seastar steering fluid I use for my main helm, can it be used with the TR1 as well or is it to heavy? I think they give you a mineral oil with it originally don't they?

Yes mineral oil, you can order the original stuff via west marine

That's where I originally bought the unit. Maybe they can get me the throttle bracket now too. Still waiting for the life tether thingy I ordered a couple of months ago.

Yes they have access to all the parts, it is better if you can look up the part numbers yourself first
since Lew left down there in Rmd the girls are sometimes a little challenged by the parts catalogues

Just pulled my manuals out of the boat. So I'll start reviewing. Are you guys tying into your gps and using those functions? Running any of the patterns at all?

Just pulled my manuals out of the boat. So I'll start reviewing. Are you guys tying into your gps and using those functions? Running any of the patterns at all?

Yes, tie it into your gps, plot a course for the troll/tack you want to setup, hit go to then hit the GPS track on the tr1 and away you go
handsfree trolling

I think I'll talk to Garmin to see if my 172c is compatible. That or I guess I can justify upgrading. I assume the TR1 will work fine with any brand or is it best to stay with matching Garmin products? Of course my radar is Furuno...

I use lowrance to tie into, Very easy

Love it
I use it mainly to hold a course, its hooked to my HDS but never use the function.

A few things I've noticed.

Zig zag function is fun and works great when lake trolling, never used it fishing the ocean.

definitely turn down sea state, I tried moving the compass ball from the glove box area to the centre floor area trying to correct the swinging. Hardly made a diffence, not worth the effort.

You need a charge wire on your kicker, the system can use up to 12amps with the pump going.

I like remote throttle but if you have tiller get the throttle option.

Calibration is only necessary if you are using it with your GPS.

If it's pulling, try to bleed the system. mine started pulling and developed a leak under the res. at the same time causing air to get into the system. I replaced the pump assembly under warranty took about 3weeks turn around. They are $500 if your out of warranty.

there is a special bleeding procedure in your manual, follow it and you should be good, would alsmost bet its the ram bleeding down

Back