Towing Trucks

I've owned a 2001 Dodge club cab diesel 4x4 24V for 15 years.I've towed multiple travel trailers and boats with it,never any problems,but it's not winning races up hill.Other than rebuilding the transmission 3 years ago,it's been amazingly cheap to maintain.No front end problems that people have said are a problem with these trucks and it's rust free.I get about 2 people a year ask me if I would sell it.The only reason I would sell is the noise this truck makes or if I stop towing.People actually stop in their tracks and stare at me like I'm a criminal for driving such a noisy thing.Funny most of the time.

When I got my new truck i didnt even bother looking at diesel as if you dont use a truck all that much its a waste. diesel is great if you use them alot and tow alot and move alot other then then that cost of running is WAY to high you need to drive em like you stole them , I settled on a 6.2 gas ford 2012 and my boat comes in at about 8500 to 900 lbs loaded up and it tows it easily. Am I going to fly up a big hill at 130 kmh probably not but do I care no not really. all the newer trucks are all grant in my opinion, ALL of them have quirks. and all have had lemons. I went with price over any thing else. I got that truck for 22 grand with a year warranty on it still in Alberta. from a guy who was selling his TOYS ( not a oil patch rocket) his personal. good deals right now.before and after i got canopy from nanaimo

Roy, still loving the Ford 6.2? I just took a 2017 for a test drive, unfortunately, they want 43k for and it's been Alberta WORKED. The closest I've seen for a personally owned one is 24k for a 2013 and it sold right away. The little dealerships have been flipping lots of Alberta swamp trucks.

YES that motor is strong as you know what thing is nice to drive. I just wished I used it more as its a shame to see it sitting alot ive only put 20,000 kms on it since I got it.
Before i got it in alberta i had about 30 pics of it , I asked for pics under carriage,wheel wells, etc interior before i even bothered to go out mine was from a kid who over spent. on his toys thats the deal you have to find..

Ray, I have the same year dodge cummins (2001) and its been a great truck. I’ve done nothing but tires, brakes, batteries and oil changes since I bought it as a ICBC write off in 2004. Mine is the 5 speed stick and it would be nice to have the 6 speed to fill in the gap between 3rd and 4th.

Ray, I have the same year dodge cummins (2001) and its been a great truck. I’ve done nothing but tires, brakes, batteries and oil changes since I bought it as a ICBC write off in 2004. Mine is the 5 speed stick and it would be nice to have the 6 speed to fill in the gap between 3rd and 4th.
Did your dashboard crack like mine?The Dodge and some GM trucks of that era must have had their plastic dashboards made in China.The Cummins motors are incredibly reliable.Mines only got about 150000 Km.,so just broken in.

Same here, i tow a lot, but still a gas truck is not to compare with the diesel, maintenance is a bit more $ but not that much
Hands down diesel torque out performs any gas engine. If you own a diesel you will smile every time you hook up that heavy boat or trailer and head up the Malahat, Coquihalla or Jack butt Mountain. If you own a gas truck you will inevitably come up with reasons to justify not owning a diesel.

Sure gas is more expensive. I change my oil for about 65 bucks at the Jiffy Lube. Go change your oil in your diesel with all your filters an actual oil and you’ll come in about $300 . I have the same truck as wolf / Roy and in four years of ownership it has never been in the shop. I would rather pay a few more dollars every fill up then have to cough up 5 grand at the mechanics every time an injector **** the bed . And hey my gas truck doesn’t blow black like a freaking octopus to make power.

Pail of rotella goes on sale at can tire for Less than $70, Baldwin filter is $9. That puts me at around $50 an oil change. Never had an injector go in the 30 years I have been driving diesel trucks. Anyone who is rolling coal has purposely MADE that engine do that....it's stupid and a waste of fuel.

Diesel fuel is $0.20/l cheaper here plus I get 24mpg driving my F350 6.7 on a daily basis. Lot of folks who don't like diesel trucks have never driven one much less owned one.

a diesel is not for everyone. but if you tow heavy and often, they are a great option. i do not think we will ever see a gas powered hyway truck or locomotive.

i have been very fortunate to build custom diesel trucks for a living. but i do have a big block ford in the fleet as a play toy

Ford is back in the big block gasser game with their new 7.3l (445ci) pushrod V8. Sounds interesting for those who want a heavy hauler but not diesel.

Ford is back in the big block gasser game with their new 7.3l (445ci) pushrod V8. Sounds interesting for those who want a heavy hauler but not diesel.
And a hybrid f150 I believe. It’ll be interesting to see how the rivian does with Ford and amazon investing. Ford is covering all spectrums of engines haha

The Ford F250 has the tow haul button which will automatically downshift with one touch Of the brake pedal. I tow the Hope / Princeton quite often with my 27 foot fifth wheel and this option greatly reduces using the brakes. That being said diesel can tow very well, but maintenance costs, smelly fuel and stinking exhaust are not enough to make me switch over. Oh and have fun with your DEF fluid. Sorry I just don’t see the advantage for a daily driver of going with diesel.

Sorry I just don’t see the advantage for a daily driver of going with diesel.
totally agree fuel may be lower but having the pain of adding that fluid all the time brings the price up as well.
YES ill agree diesel trucks are AWESOME but you have to really use them alot in towing to pay off ,on a farm ,hauling trailers on a weekly basis's etc. As my mechanic buddy said with these diesels you need to drive it like you sole it once in a while as it needs to get hot and burn **** off especially the turbos.
I have driven lots of them but the old saying cost has to warrant the use.... the truck I have tows my boat and trailer more then fine the 10 or so times a year its used. I dont go mach 10, I dont need to get to my destination going 120 km to prove a point LOL. ive seen SO many accidents with guys towing stuff going way too fast. I would see many bad and sometime fatal ones from hardy to Campbell river.
I loved my hunting buds duramax thing was a beast,until it blew the tranny at 80,000.......... This day and age id say ALL the trucks are great. All of them have had some sort of issue basically comes down to what the best deal and condition if you are looking, if ford ever bought back that 7.3 id really consider it as you dont need the additive and that engine was a beast.

DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid, used in pretty much every diesel engine in North America, is really a non-issue. A tank of DEF will last something like 5000km in normal driving and takes a few minutes to top up when it needs it. Most dealers just fill it when you get your oil changed. No big hairy.

"Smelly fuel and stinking exhaust". Modern diesel engines burning low sulpher diesel fuel are actually cleaner than gas engines. Neither the fuel or the exhaust stink. So much misinformation. If you don't like or want a diesel engine, fine but keep it real.

DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid, used in pretty much every diesel engine in North America, is really a non-issue. A tank of DEF will last something like 5000km in normal driving and takes a few minutes to top up when it needs it. Most dealers just fill it when you get your oil changed. No big hairy.

"Smelly fuel and stinking exhaust". Modern diesel engines burning low sulpher diesel fuel are actually cleaner than gas engines. Neither the fuel or the exhaust stink. So much misinformation. If you don't like or want a diesel engine, fine but keep it real.

Yup on all accounts.

Having towed with a 1990 F-150 gas v8, 2000 f350 gas v10, and now a 2013 3500 gmc diesel, the ease of towing in the diesel is so much greater I won't go back. This is especially noticeable going from nanaimo to campbell river. easy driving/towing.

HB

Back