Towing boats and truck limits

bpsuls

I thought I would share my findings recently on towing my boat. I bought a Hewes Ocean Pro 220 a couple years back. I towed it with my 2500 gm with the 6.5 in it until it blew up last summer. It was a pretty ancient truck and owed me nothing so i decided to look for something quite a bit later model. I figured I'd get another 3/4 ton as the boat seems big and heavy to me. I always assumed I was in the 6000-6500 lbs weight with the rig. When I talked to the dealer they sort of laughed at me and said you don't need that the new 1/2 tons can pull upwards of 10K lbs. So that was interesting, and they even lent me one of their used 1500's so I could go tow my boat around for the day and see how it performs. So I tried it up the Malahat and then back down, but it really felt like it was there with a lot of weight for it especially on the down slope and the back end was pretty low with the weight on it (though you could correct with air bags). So I then decided to take it to the scale and was shocked at how heavy the rig was! It weighed in (boat, full fuel, water, gear,etc) at over 7200lbs! I really encourage most boat owners to really weigh their rigs on a scale fully loaded with gear and fuel as it is likely a lot more than you think. It is true that newer 1/2 ton trucks can pull a lot more than the old ones did, but i think there is some confusion around how much you can actually pull in practical terms with most boat rigs that I've noticed at least around Victoria. For instance:
I saw an old thread on the F-150 and what it can pull. it is true that it can pull over 10k lbs (properly equipped!!) but when talking "weight carrying hitch" the limit is actually 5000lbs and 500lbs on the hitch. This is true of practically all the manufacturers, although I think GM might be 7000/700lbs, I have conflicting data there. In any case, "weight carrying hitch" means that you have no torsion bars to distribute the load, and torsion bars are the ONLY way to get the maximum weight rating of any towing vehicle. Now I've trolled the boat launch lots for some time now and have yet to really see anyone using torsion bars, which really limits your towing capability. And it really doesn't take long to get to 5K lbs with a rig. I know I was surprised, my boat hull only weighs in at 3000lbs according to Hewes, but by the time you factor all the extra weight of the motors (just the two motors and the batteries is 1000lbs), the fuel (320 liters, over 550lbs) then all the extra gear (even the downrigger balls when combined can weigh almost 100 lbs!) and the trailer itself which is heavy, you get there pretty quickly and beyond.
Anyways I ended up getting a nice used 2500HD to tow (didn't go diesel but that is a discussion for another thread!). It's true that it's terrible on gas but I barely drive it (about 5-7k kms a year) and it feels really confident pulling that boat around and it can handle the dead weight on the heavy duty class IV hitch that it has. Likely you can tow with a 1/2 for a long time and nothing bad will happen, I don't really judge those who do but you need to use the Weight Distributing hitch if that is the route you are going and are over the 5K limit. Otherwise you are essentially illegally towing, whether it can handle it or not. And keep in mind your tongue weight too, it's likely way more than you think, and it must be around 10% of your total rig weight. Also make sure your load is level especially if you have surge brakes (I learned the hard way and it cost me two trailer tires!)
Hope this helps!

Yeah that's what I picked up, 2007 gmc with a 6L, bit of a fuel pig but it pulls!
Pulled the 26' holiday trailer over the Coquihalla easy, needed something that would pull my skid steer over it too.
10000 lb max, have bars and picked up a 10000 lb carhauler for the stuff and the boat should be an easy trip!

Lol my old tiltbed sat on the island for a few years before I decided to bring it back. Lights and everything worked fine prior to leaving, Electric brakes and on the way to the ferry and tire just starts smoking! Stomped the brakes and all ok but figured it warranted a look so turned on the signal light, every time it flashed the tire smoked lol, wiring inside the plug rotted off. Picked one up in Langford and ran to the ferry, changed it in the ferry line!

Last edited:
the Class 4 trailer hitch that most trucks have can handle handle 10,000 lbs without stabilizers, where most people go wrong is the hitch mount.

2" ball hitch mount, has a 1" hole and is rated for 5,000 lbs.

2 5/16" ball hitch mount, has a 1.25" hole and is rated for 10,000 + lbs depending on brand.

if your trailer has a 2 5/16 ball you need a hitch mount with a 1.25" hole and ball with a 1.25 shank.

the problem is, you can buy a 2 5/16" ball with a 1" shank which would cause you to be over weight.

https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Class_V_Chrome_Hitch_Ball___2_5_16_inch,23

https://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Class_III__IV_One_Piece_Forged_Hitch_Ball_Mount,40330

Canso yes you are correct the class IV is a 2" receiver, i have the 2 1/2" receiver which i believe is class 5. The hitch is only part of the story though it is where most people make mistakes, myself included. I towed with a wrong ball capacity for some time until recently due to it not having a weight stamp on it. I now have a 2" ball with 1 1/4" shank for a capacity of 8000lbs with a ball mount rated for 14000lbs. The mount is overkill but I couldn't find one with the right height between 6000 and 14000 from a local source lol. The truck manufacturers though do not rate their 1/2 ton trucks for more than 5K for a deadweight hitch attachment regardless of how awesome your ball setup is. I am not sure what the legality implications are though it would likely be towable like that all the same. Wild Bill yes the 6 liter does not win any fuel economy contests by any stretch, I was a little offended by its fuel consumption at first but their reliability is legendary. My father in law had a 2002 in Ontario that he towed and plowed with and put 520000 kms on it before he had to sell it as it wasn't passing the drive clean anymore. never opened it up once, one tranny rebuild at 350k. Simply amazing.

I am always amazed how many people don't know the weight of the rigs, be it boats or RV's. Their tow rigs are to small, their hitches are under rated, and trailers that are to small for their boat, no brakes on their trailers or brakes don't work. I'm sure when the **** hits the fan that the insurance company will be looking at all of those things. It's pretty easy to drive over the scales to check your weight.

The top of the transmission and gear package for the new F150 can pull 10,000 and I've seen one pull a Grady white with dual engines. Be nice if he comments here. I would double check which tow package was installed at factory and what tires are on the half ton and even before considering towing, but I'll add hitch and ball to the towing check list. That is heavier then I thought for the Ocean Pro, must be a hard top. Wicked boat in my opinion.

I am always amazed how many people don't know the weight of the rigs, be it boats or RV's. Their tow rigs are to small, their hitches are under rated, and trailers that are to small for their boat, no brakes on their trailers or brakes don't work. I'm sure when the **** hits the fan that the insurance company will be looking at all of those things. It's pretty easy to drive over the scales to check your weight.

Dumb question, do you just pull up to the scales and drive on? What then, do you disconnect the trailer and drive off to weigh just the boat and trailer? Does it cost anything?
What happens if you're weighing in at 10000#'s on your 1/2 ton with 8000# capacity? Do they check that?

We weight ours at the dump or transfer station. Just drive on drive off. Go back or use an old receipt from previous dumps. Just do the math.

On the Island after hours I pull up and check my weight whenever I can at gov commercial truck scales. The scales work even though there is no one in the booth. Elk Lake is a good spot as well as various points between Duncan and Campbell River. Don't think I would do it if I see the "scales ahead are open" sign. I check the weight on each axle and record it on a spread sheet I keep in the truck. Been doing it for years. I know the truck weight as I have weighed it before without the boat attached so I know what trailer weight is. It varies by a few hundred lbs depending on gas, ice and gear on board. I'm pretty consistent though at 7000 to 7200 lbs...That is a lot of weight to move around. Don't care how much of an expert you are. You feel it. This is a good subject that many forget to focus on.

I use the Elk lake scale. its always on and the Transportation cops are almost never there. you just drive on and drive off. what i did to get a total weight is weigh the truck with trailer on, then just pop out the trailer jack and unhitch the weight off of the truck while it is on the scale, and then that gives me both my tongue weight as well as part of my trailer weight. then, i reattach, and then weigh my boat trailer axles (the trailer is too long to do it in one shot on the scale). then you combine the tongue weight with the trailer axle weight for the whole thing. I agree with Pescador, you feel that weight no matter how big the truck. even with my 2500hd which weighs well over 3 tons it knows it when the big girl is back there.

I do mine the same way as Pescador. I have weighed my truck by itself, with a empty trailer, and truck, trailer and boat all together. Always keep it recorded in the truck and on my phone and always within a few hundred pounds.

I use the truck scales too but why wouldn't they let you? How else are you to easily weigh your rig. Would seem like a reasonable service for highways to provide to us small time truckers helping keeping the roads safe. Sorry for the derail.

I'm sure they would let you weigh your rig. But if you are overweight you are getting a hefty fine and leaving your trailer
Really? What's the fine? I'm pretty sure that if you take yourself through the scales and you're over-weight, if an attendant is there, they would request that you either drop the trailer or reduce your load. Really surprises me if they fine you on the spot. If the police pull you over, then you would likely get a fine assuming they have a means to weigh you. But I really don't see why weighing yourself at the scale would result in a fine to you. That's just dissuading people from being safe.

Towing balls should be baught in pairs ,replaced yearly and of the dezine where a threaded stud is part of the ball,so that if the lock washer fails the bolt dosn't fall right out.

Towing balls should be baught in pairs ,replaced yearly and of the dezine where a threaded stud is part of the ball,so that if the lock washer fails the bolt dosn't fall right out.
Really, I have rarely ever replaced.
as long as it is inspected I question the purpose in this ?

Inspection requires you to retorque with pipe wrench on the ball and cresent spanner with a pipe extending the handle for more torque on the nut .This procedure blemishes the ball with score marks ,breaks lockwashers and streches the threads . Remove and replace of ball yearly will give you sound mind that if you needed to replace ball at some point thoughout the year you will have a new spare ball and it can come apart,aswell as a new ball and parts will have shine again on your truck,remember there not stainless steel parts.Throw the old ball away so it is never used again.

... The truck manufacturers though do not rate their 1/2 ton trucks for more than 5K for a deadweight hitch attachment regardless of how awesome your ball setup is...
Just wondering where you found this information. Thanks.

Back