Towing a fishing boat behind cruiser....

1++ on all the advice on this thread. I tow a 21' stabicraft behind a 4788 bayliner. the stabi weighs 3800+ when fully loaded, tow @ 8-10 knots. on the stabicraft I use a couple of 16000 lb carabiners at the bow tow eye, ( helps to take up shock) with the tow bridle running thru and then back to a couple of stern cleats. this keeps the bow up and the stern cleats on most boats are anchored better. this is a separate bridle piece with a loop in the end approximately 10 foot longer than the fishing boat. it stays with the fishing boat. it attaches to the main tow bridle with another 16000lb load capacity carabiner attached to the main bridle. the tow bridle should be long enough for the towed boat to ride on the back of the 2nd wave behind the towing boat, this lessons the shock load on the boat being towed. we tow with the fishing boat motor's prop about half submerged, with the wheel tied off with a bungee.this acts like a small rudder to keep the boat from wandering back and forth. the main bridle has three crabtrap floats spaced along its length, and is made of 1/2 " Amstell. coming into an anchorage/marina we stop the big boat, pull in the fishing boat, dropping the bridle into a plastic tub, and tie her off to the port side, using the short towline already attached to the fishing boat and a stern line already on the fishing boat. it takes less than five minutes. at a marina ask for a starboard side tieup. we have never had a problem, and have towed the fishing boat to alaska and back 5 summers from Anacortes washington, 7000 + miles. I loose about 3/4 knot speed and use a little more fuel but it is well worth it imho!

Last edited:
Back