Towing a 10’6” wide boat...

Waterwolf2230

I’m just looking for some feedback on the issues of towing a wide load in BC. From what I’ve been able to find out between 8’6” and 10’6” you need a permit and can’t cross the Lions Gate Bridge along with a few other exceptions. Is the permit process a pain? You apparently don’t need a pilot truck unless you are over 3.2m/10’6”.

I’m meeting with Bruce Cope on Monday to work on a new boat design for me and wanted some extra beam. I was looking at the Pachena 26’ with mods to make it more fishy. Anyway looking for some insight. I wouldn’t be moving it around the island much so getting the odd permit wouldn’t be an issue.

Thanks,

WW

Not sure if it would be the same. But I buy a one year oversize permit for my work truck. It’s good up to 10’-6’’ wide And its for over length and height . Any thing over 8’6’’. To 10’6 has to have orange or red flags on the out side edges. The permit costs me 360.00 for the year. Or I think it’s 15.00 per trip.

Not sure if it would be the same. But I buy a one year oversize permit for my work truck. It’s good up to 10’-6’’ wide And its for over length and height . Any thing over 8’6’’. To 10’6 has to have orange or red flags on the out side edges. The permit costs me 360.00 for the year. Or I think it’s 15.00 per trip.
Okay that makes me feel better. Thanks for that.

Pretty sure it was just a phone call to CVSE and a credit card payment. You can pay by the trip, month or annual. The cost of the annual permit was 4x the cost of my trailer insurance lol. Other than being a money grab you are supposed to flag the widest part of the load. Keep it between the mayo and the mustard. Get the permit because if you don't and your over width and someone hits you, you will not be covered.

Very nice. Bruce Cope designs are awesome - this is my retirement dream to have Walker on the Island build me a Cope design - either the Quatsino or the Pachena Point in a 26 or 28'. When you are closer get in touch with me - know a guy here in Alberta who built his own and you should talk to him.

have your tow vehicle info on hand when you call as the permit goes against the tow vehicle not the boat, easy phone call and they email you the permit,
just keep the electronic copy handy on your phone, no paper permit required, 20$ for a 1 time trip or $30 for the month

Very nice. Bruce Cope designs are awesome - this is my retirement dream to have Walker on the Island build me a Cope design - either the Quatsino or the Pachena Point in a 26 or 28'. When you are closer get in touch with me - know a guy here in Alberta who built his own and you should talk to him.
I looked at the Quatsino but the hardtop is only about 5’7” tall. I’d be banging my head non-stop getting in and out of the cab. A 28’ Pachena will be a beauty.

I tow my 30' Commander Smithers- Kitimat and back. It's got a 10'6 beam and weighs around 14K on the trailer. I only tow it twice a year so I get the daily permits as needed but monthly and annual are available and pretty cheap. Takes a 5 minute phone call to get one so no biggy. They will send you an email to prove your legal if you get pulled over. In order to pull a over width load of this size you need an orange flag at the 4 widest points on the boat. You also need wide load signs front and back as well as a rotating beacon on top of the truck cab. There are also restrictions on when you can pull. With my boat I'm restricted to daylight hours Mon-Fri.

Last edited:
You may also need a heavy trailer endorsement depending on your weight. It is required if your trailer weight exceeds 4600kg@Ruff

I've got a class 1 liscence and tow with an F450 which has a GVW of 17,000lbs. I rolled the scales (when they were closed) just to confirm my weight and I came in just under capacity. I try and tow it with as little water and fuel on board as 270 gallons of water/fuel can add to your weight in a hurry.

Last edited:
Never been through a weigh scale, is it something a guy can just drive through and see the weight. There’s a scale near me in Parksville but it’s slways been closed when I’ve travelled through?

Never been through a weigh scale, is it something a guy can just drive through and see the weight. There’s a scale near me in Parksville but it’s slways been closed when I’ve travelled through?
Yes! They usually leave the scale on when they are closed. Check your axle weights for good weight distribution

I've used that exact scale always when closed. I have driven through empty, then with boat and sometimes camper. I use my iPhone to take pictures of each axle weight, then later I can figure out exact tongue weight etc. at home.

Back