Tow vehicle advice

Aridhol

I find myself in need of a pickup for general tasks around the house (hauling lumber, garbage and random large items the wife finds on usedvic) and I thought while I'm at it I'd give my daily driver a rest (4cyl 4runner) and get a vehicle that would tow my boat.

I have a 18ft hewescraft with 90 suzuki (no kicker yet but will have one this season).
according to the weigh station I'm at about 2600lbs for the boat and trailer fully loaded (fuel and fishing gear).

I don't baby my vehicles (except the boat!) so looks are not a concern.

I'd like
-something durable/tough that isn't a pain in the butt to fix if it breaks down.
-Able to tow 5000+
-has to be a pickup (hauling **** around)
-Able to handle a good amount of weight in the box
-Gas isn't a concern it will be used for trips on an as-needed basis.

I'm just hoping for some recommendations for what make/model/year of vehicle to be looking for.
Budget is "not much" as I am already getting flack for buying a boat :)

Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. If you are capable of working on a pre computer module monstrosity go old. Go for a 350 Chevrolet as they are the cheapest and easiest engine to get parts for. If you can't work on an engine yourself then I guess it really doesn't matter. Go for what you can get the best deal on. I drive a F350 diesel but there isn't much you can do on those things your self. The factories pretty much design them that way these days. The dealerships make all there money off the service depts. And there's precious little you can service on a new vehicle yourself these days.

So if you don't care about looks go for a 70s vintage that has had a recent rebuild on the engine. It will be ugly but cheap and easy to fix yourself.

I can do ok and have a good friend to fill in the rest of my missing skillset when needed.
I certainly don't want something new as it would exceed my budget.
When I post "not much" I meant around 5k or less :)

I'll browse around for rebuilt older heaps and see what I can find, thanks :)

I have a 1996 F-150 5.0 liter 2wd that I used today to yank out roots with a chain and haul 700 kilos of willow stump and roots to the dump. I haul my 17 foot whaler and a big pile of camping/fishing crap over the Coquihalla once there and back to Ukee, but I drive back and forth 5 times since I leave the boat there for the summer. It has new tires and a new battery. I change the oil, occasionally the radiator fluid and did the plugs once myself. It's worth about $1500. I was looking for a new truck, but when I made it from Horseshoe Bay to Kelowna in 3:45 after a track meet in Nanaimo in June, I questioned whether a new truck could do that much more for the money. Still going strong at 270,000k. Wish it had an automatic transmission, AC and 4wd, but I think I'll keep driving it until I get a bigger boat or experience a catastrophic failure. I drive it daily since my plan of only using it in summer and the economy car in winter fell apart after a few years when a deer totalled the Toyota last Nov.

I have a 1996 F-150 5.0 liter 2wd that I used today to yank out roots with a chain and haul 700 kilos of willow stump and roots to the dump. I haul my 17 foot whaler and a big pile of camping/fishing crap over the Coquihalla once there and back to Ukee, but I drive back and forth 5 times since I leave the boat there for the summer. It has new tires and a new battery. I change the oil, occasionally the radiator fluid and did the plugs once myself. It's worth about $1500. I was looking for a new truck, but when I made it from Horseshoe Bay to Kelowna in 3:45 after a track meet in Nanaimo in June, I questioned whether a new truck could do that much more for the money. Still going strong at 270,000k. Wish it had an automatic transmission, AC and 4wd, but I think I'll keep driving it until I get a bigger boat or experience a catastrophic failure. I drive it daily since my plan of only using it in summer and the economy car in winter fell apart after a few years when a deer totalled the Toyota last Nov.

That's exactly the type of rig I am looking to get into.

My niece has a 1997 dodge 1500 with a camper for 3500 bucks. 216,000 k on it, she says it's had some recent work done. She said she'd sell the truck separately.
I can pm her number if you're interested.

My niece has a 1997 dodge 1500 with a camper for 3500 bucks. 216,000 k on it, she says it's had some recent work done. She said she'd sell the truck separately.
I can pm her number if you're interested.

Sure. I am still doing some research and am not ready to buy in the next week or anything but I'll have a look.

I had a 2009 ford ranger sport 4x4 4l. and have a similar sized boat with a 115 plus kicker, loaded fuel and all was about 3000lbs, very easy tow, rated for 5000 or 5500 can't remember. i wish i had never sold the truck, lol. if you want a cheaper smaller sized pick up the ranger with a 4l. will do the job easily.

Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. If you are capable of working on a pre computer module monstrosity go old. Go for a 350 Chevrolet as they are the cheapest and easiest engine to get parts for. If you can't work on an engine yourself then I guess it really doesn't matter. Go for what you can get the best deal on. I drive a F350 diesel but there isn't much you can do on those things your self. The factories pretty much design them that way these days. The dealerships make all there money off the service depts. And there's precious little you can service on a new vehicle yourself these days.

So if you don't care about looks go for a 70s vintage that has had a recent rebuild on the engine. It will be ugly but cheap and easy to fix yourself.
This is what I've done for years.Ya,they're gas pigs and ugly but as BG stated they're easy to work on and parts are cheap.
I actually prefer the older 73-79 Ford 3/4 tons.Tough frickin' trucks and they made a bizilion of em so parts are still readily availible .

I find myself in need of a pickup for general tasks around the house (hauling lumber, garbage and random large items the wife finds on usedvic) and I thought while I'm at it I'd give my daily driver a rest (4cyl 4runner) and get a vehicle that would tow my boat.

I have a 18ft hewescraft with 90 suzuki (no kicker yet but will have one this season).
according to the weigh station I'm at about 2600lbs for the boat and trailer fully loaded (fuel and fishing gear).

I don't baby my vehicles (except the boat!) so looks are not a concern.

I'd like
-something durable/tough that isn't a pain in the butt to fix if it breaks down.
-Able to tow 5000+
-has to be a pickup (hauling **** around)
-Able to handle a good amount of weight in the box
-Gas isn't a concern it will be used for trips on an as-needed basis.

I'm just hoping for some recommendations for what make/model/year of vehicle to be looking for.
Budget is "not much" as I am already getting flack for buying a boat :)

Get a GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with the 5.3L. If you dont want to spend a lot of money look at 2002-2006. I have 2002 they were a good truck, and very reliable. Parts are pretty cheap and easy to repair. Probably get a good one for $8,000-$12,000. Don't get a ford. There good with low miles, and really depends what year you pick. Some are great and some are bad. For you a diesel wouldn't be necessary.

My neighbor has a three year old Ford F-150 with a tank problem and he cant even start it unless ground is level. They do have problems so be warned. Again it depends on year.

Last edited:
The transmissions on those chevy's/gmc's were fairly problematic. The 3/4 clutch packs failed. I personally know of quite a few......but you can just google it and you will come up with lots. Ford has had some problems, but the f150 has also been the #1 selling vehicle in America for over 30 years so their are plenty of those trucks out there.....and no I don't own one, but I have and they were good trucks

You didn't mention if you wanted a full sized truck or not, but like nicat I have a 2007 Ford Ranger 4.0l 4x4 that tows my 17' Double Eagle quite well, hauls garden waste, soil, and stuff to the cabin quite well. And it fits in the driveway with the boat, and still leaves room for the family SUV. There are a ton of them for sale used. Just wish they didn't stop making them

Have I got the truck for you. 2002 F150 XLT, just about to list on Craigs. Bought from a family friend who owned it since new on the Island (bought at Ken Evans Ford if I can recall). We call her Goldilocks. 2WD, AC, power windows and locks with a canopy. $3500, only 150,000kms. Even has power adjustable pedals, lol. My parents are taking her from the Mainland up Island in a couple weeks. Tires are only a year old. She's got some cosmetic bruises, but offers a good clean and reliable package. I will get some pics today. Only reason I'm selling as I need something with four full doors with a 2 year old and another on the way. This truck has the suicide door set up.

I picked up a 2002 GMC longbox SLE ext cab 4WD for a work truck a couple months back for just $2400. It has 285,000 km and a big dent in the side of the box, hence the low price. It has the 5.3L, decent on gas and smooth. Truck like that will haul your boat with ease and they are out there if you're patient. Half ton is plenty and you don't need a diesel if you dont do big miles or haul heavy rigs a lot. I would say hold out for a 4WD though, a busy launch ramp is not the place to find your tires' traction isn't cutting it. For the prices I've seen being asked for old but pretty 70's trucks I'd put out for a 90s or early 00ies vehicle with EFI. They rarely go wrong. Common sources of unexpected expenses on high mileage trucks are fuel pump, front end, brakes. Alternator, starter and power steering pump will also let go but are pretty easy to handle on your own. As others have posted, hard to go past small block Chev for easy access to (relatively) low price parts.

If you can find a standard, long box nissan frontier it could do the trick. Tows over 6000 and with a suspension upgrade it can handle my Hewescraft 180 and my camper. The short box can't hold much in the bed but a new leaf pack fixed that. Automatics are more common but make sure the radiator transmission cooler problem hasn't cropped up.

Thank you everyone for the replies, I did end up finding a good deal (I think) and picked up a 2005 F150 fx4 5.4l 4x4. Factory tow package.
I did read about some common problems
- cam phasers (starts making a ticking and may or may not cause problems)
- Spark plugs breaking off when changing (costly job)
- Injectors (verified with Ford the truck has an extended warranty on the injectors that I will qualify for)

I got a pre-purchase inspection and everything turned up ok except the back brakes will need work soonish and the drivers side power window has troubles going up.

I hooked up the boat and it's a night and day difference from the old vehicle.

Back