Tough Boat shelter

Aridhol

I recently picked up an 18ft Hewescraft sportsman and unlike the old boat it doesn't fit in my Garage.
I have room on the side of the house and a roadbase driveway is being put in there now but I'll need a shelter.

I have looked at Canadian Tire, Home Depot and Costco and they all have something that could work but I am not sure how well those will hold up.

Anyone have positive experiences with the big box store shelters? Or recommend another retailer (prefer on the island so it doesn't cost $$$ in shipping).

The dimensions I need
10ft wide (needs 10ft for entire entryway, not just the bottom). Could go 11ft potentially.
20ft long
7+ ft high

My primary concern is standing up to the wind and elements here on the island. I don't want to replace it every 2 years.

i have 2 from midland canopies and they are holding up well. one has been up for 2 year and it still like new. They sell just the tarp also when the old tarp starts ripping you dont need to go buy the whole thing again. i have it bolted into the concrete slab and i also did tie it down with rope in the big wind storms as it was moving a fair bit but they are the tall ones with 10' poles and i think just above 12' to the peak.

Thanks Kevind, wasn't aware of them. Looks like the 7' sides would work with my canvas down.
You've been happy with the durability? No leaks?

yes so far so good. i dont have the sides or backs just the tops but i know someone that has one for his rv with all the sides and i think he has had it for around 4 or 5 years still on the same tarps. No leaks on the tarps but does get some condensation on the tarps depending on weather which will come with any tarp shelter. I have one of the heavy duty polls and one regular. the heavy duty polls are much bigger probably the way to go for the 10' sides or maybe if you get all the tarps to enclose it as it may take more pressure from the wind storms.

I have a shelter logic from Canadian tire it's been great had 2 problems and the company sent me all the stuff to repair for free. Great company to deal with

At work we have a huge one from Midland Canopies and it has been great. It survived the crazy wind storms we had a few months ago while it was on the roof top of a job site. Their prices are reasonable as well.

I was thinking of going this route, but after seeing how these things tend to look overtime I am going to have something basic built. Maybe like a 'lean-to' style. Even when new, having a framed tarp just doesn't do it for me. For cost and simplicity, I think they are great but I going to go another route, if it isn't TOO costly.

534565215a18a47278f0a6594c1a5e1c.jpg
Leanto-Addition-800.jpg

Obviously it can be as nice or as rustic as one wants to make it. But I prefer something more substantial that may in theory add a bit value to the home, last a long time and look more permanent.

I thought about that Damien but my municipality wouldn't approve :(
Temporary structures only and nothing attached to the main house.

not sure if you are in a hurry but on boxing week midland has 15% off everything in store even the canopies

Not sure I'll be able to hold out that long.
Once the driveway is in and levelled I need to move the boat out of the other driveway and the boss lady says it needs to be in a "nice shelter". :)

I have a shelter and I been through all this. Don't by a cheap one or you will be cursing yourself first wind storm when it twists apart. Shelter logic are terrible our neighbor had two rip apart just this year. I don't know where you are but I got mine from Adam's Trap and Tool in Duncan. The one I use has an arched roof ( which way better especially in wind), and is way stronger in case of snow loads. The poles are heavy duty. What I did is buy the one from Adam and then I bought some electrical conduit to raise it. I have had this for 5 years and its still on the same roof. Uberhaus makes the shelters and they have one installed at Adam's if you want to look at it. I highly recommend them. Just make sure you anchor it down. I used concrete pads and hilti the flanges to them, so the thing won't move.

Mine is similar to SpringVelocity's but I built a 3ft pony wall out of 2x6 and a 2x4 wall at the far end. Mine is 14ft at the peak, I need the height for the flybridge. Get the best heavy duty frame that you can afford, the frame will last way longer then the trap. My frame is probably 12 years old. The original trap 2 years and than bought a super heavy duty trap and bet I can get one more year out of it.

I got a shelterlogic 4 years ago. Its 12' wide and 30' long, arched witha 12' peak. Havn't had any problems. I installed a vent in the front and back and hooked a fan on the inside blowing out on the back. Even with all the rain we get it doesn't sweat inside.

I bought a metal boat/RV shelter many years ago and have never regretted it. The initial cost was more but it's a permanent solution. The shelter does not require a building permit and if I ever move I can disassemble the shelter and take it with me. No more worries during wind storms or when we get those rare dumps of heavy wet snow.

I lucked out by buying the shelter from a buddy at a killer price but it originally came from Easy Build Structures in Surrey.

My shelter is strong enough to walk on for my annual spring pressure washing.

http://www.easybuildstructures.ca/steel-carports.php

All the stuff around here is very wimpy. About ten year ago I designed my shelter and order fittings from here. https://www.creativeshelters.com/
I then added chain link sized pipes anchored in precast cement blocks from Home Depot (just insert the pipe in the hole) and used a heavy duty tarp from Midland Liquidates. My shelter is about 30 feet long and 14 feet wide and has withstood every wind storm in past ten years.

I like that metal shelter. Where can you get those? I'm guessing one of those would cost a few clams.

I bought mine about 12 years ago and if I recall correctly it was close to $3000. Not exactly cheap but it is a permanent solution.

http://www.easybuildstructures.ca/steel-carports.php

There are other suppliers around selling similar products but these guys were the ones I used.

My shelter is 10' x 26' and the main frame is rectangular tubing that won't kink or bend. Like I mentioned earlier the shelter is strong enough that I can carefully walk on it. Wind and snow loads aren't a threat with this construction.

If you get the titch to buy a larger boat the shelter is expandable by purchasing more frame sections.

I'll post a picture later.

Back