Top 3 Go To Hoochies

searun

Winter doldrums, not much fishing happening, lets get some fishing talk happening.

So if they stopped making hoochies and you had to horde only 3 different ones, which ones would you stash and why?

My Choices:

1. J-79
2. Green Splatter Back
3. OLN 12R

My go to are greens and whites. I find more often than not these guys will catch fish in any situation. The green splatter back will catch fish anywhere, so I wouldn't leave port without it. It was hard to pare the list down to just 3 choices, and if I could add a few more they would be the Turd and Sonora.

No glow or UV properties, Barrie?

I am simply curious, I mean to ask this in a respectful way... .tone can be lost over forum messages.

Is this the Oak Bay special that some people have told me about...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey let's add if we're talking West coast or Strait of Georgia.

Sof G: Army Truck, Glow splatterback, green splatterback.
WC: green, glow white, blue hooches

My top 3 might change depending on time of year and location... I fish hoochies more than anything else and these would be my top producers in the past few years.

What is a J-79? I have seen it come up a few times in this and other threads. Never figured out what it was though...

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Mbradley,

Back in the "old days" when I chartered out of OBM for 12 years, our go to hootchies were golden bait OMW 14R needle fish at any depth and a clear needle fish with a black strip. No UV or glow. Black stripe never fished deeper than 85' on downrigger. Small 50/50 cripple K spoon short leader. Deeper off flats a Blue Splatter back glow belly and a dark green back needle fish with UV belly. Bait was full size TYEE STRIP mitred to fit a tiny teaser with small treble hook bedded into bait, NO flasher. Also, Very small anchovies fished 4' behind flasher. A good OB trick was hard turn so inside gear would stop and flutter. I still use these on my occasional visit to the flats

MBradley
You will find it hard to believe that OB fishing was so good that there were 3 charter boats from OBM working the flats and Gap. Evening fishing at the gap was a guaranteed catch at sunset! Weekends the flats were so crowded it was like a parking lot. Each charter boat would average between 85-120 trips every year with very few skunk trips. That's not including the Lakewood party boat that fished cod on the east side of discovery island. Sorry for the hijack, fellas!

http://www.silverhorde.com/id156.html

• Blue Glow Splatterback - was on fire for us last spring at Thrasher.
  • J-55 Needlefish
  • I also have a white glow/UV hoochie that almost has a pearled appearance to it. Kind of like the 3012 or 9012 on the Silver Horde link

I have a shoebox full of packages of the last one your list...the J55 in Octopus size is deadly.... Think DEEP.

MBradley
You will find it hard to believe that OB fishing was so good that there were 3 charter boats from OBM working the flats and Gap. Evening fishing at the gap was a guaranteed catch at sunset! Weekends the flats were so crowded it was like a parking lot. Each charter boat would average between 85-120 trips every year with very few skunk trips. That's not including the Lakewood party boat that fished cod on the east side of discovery island. Sorry for the hijack, fellas!

Ancient memories now hey Bar ? :)

Back