Tomics - Pick a custom colour...

# 4 for sure, #1 looks interesting as well. I've put down a custom no bananas tomic and have done pretty good with it. That one looks like the homeland security.
Good eye, homeland was the plan but ended up having a bit of yellow pearl left over in the brush so added a little fade between the green and glow
Gonna focus next batch on replicating some more of the common hot spoons and hootchies.

Nice Work. Number 8 for me.

I experimented with a good number of plugs (well over 100). Found that blue or black leading (nose) was just as effective as red.

Also went with the oversized 3=D eyes in silver & yellow. They really pop out and seem to draw strikes better than those without.

Question for you: What did you use to create the scale like pattern over the backs? Screen or?
Still haven't found anything that is completely satisfactory in that regard...

Good Luck! Always fun to catch them on something you created yourself.

Cheers,
Nog - Still have several hundred left to paint...
Thanks Nog!
Get crackin then :)
Good to know about the noses, I won't paint them all red. I ended up making 6 more a couple days ago. Refined the look of the Herring #2, added an Opal Squid patterned lure with a fake eye near the centre of the plug which will get some hootchie skirts, and tried to replicate an anchovy but failed a bit in that one
The scales are done with a black plastic mesh, I honestly can't remember where it came from, something to do with one of my other hobbies - reefkeeping. Can post a photo if you like

Question for you Nog, I've seen some of your past posts about painting lures. How do you feel about a clear coat on these? And what do you use? I've been coating most with rod building epoxy, takes a while to cure but hard and clear and great gloss just not sure if the clear finish has any positive or negative effects on catching fish

The weather looks decent enough to drag a few of these around today.

Last edited:
The scales are done with a black plastic mesh, I honestly can't remember where it came from, something to do with one of my other hobbies - reefkeeping. Can post a photo if you like

Please do, and if you recall the source...

... How do you feel about a clear coat on these?... not sure if the clear finish has any positive or negative effects on catching fish

Clear coating REALLY makes the underlying colors POP. It is definitely the way to go. Especially effective with color blends / fading and pearl.
I use automotive paints for everything. Clear coat is just another of those, but looks like you can stick your hand a few inches deep into it.
I wouldn't paint any of them without it.

Looking forward to that mesh pix...

Cheers,
Nog

Please do, and if you recall the source...
Clear coating REALLY makes the underlying colors POP. It is definitely the way to go....
Looking forward to that mesh pix...
Cheers,
Nog

Here's a pic of the mesh, still can't remember where it came from but will take a trip to the fish store this weekend to see if they know. It isn't from a craft or fabric store. It's firm but very pliable if that makes sense
KazlJtC.jpg

Here's a couple updates. Pulled some pins... and was originally thinking of using silicone to mount some legs on the squid but will try to run a hootchie off the bottom like this instead. Heck may even run the tandem rigs on the other plugs naked instead of the 5/0 6/0 mustad hooks and see what happens.
dswLVyl.jpg

Better shot of scale pattern (failed anchovy attempt on the top came out too dark)
iAw8wN9.jpg

Didn't fish today, maybe tomorrow

Thanks added ^^^
I also put 3d eyes on my plugs (ebay them, you can get 6mm - 10mm for around $2 from china, they take a month+ to arrive).
Couldn't really find any eyes on eBay that I liked so ordered some from Sweden. They should be here in the next week (8mm for the 5" plugs and 10mm for 6") Looking forward to how they'll look. Not eBay cheap but not bad
Got a chance to troll a few of these around for 3.5hrs on Saturday, nothing. I literally think there weren't any fish as my usual productive gear on the other side as well as the 4 other boats in the area caught diddly squat as well.

Sorry Nog still no luck on where that mesh came from, haven't been to the fish store yet

Nice creativity G0.Fish.

I like the simplicity and originality of #10.

I'm not trying to take away from the original post but would like some input on a few of my patterns as well.

20131205_000214934_iOS.jpg IMG_2701.JPG IMG_2922.JPG IMG_3576.JPG IMG_3582.JPG IMG_3587.JPG

Nice job Chilli! Thanks and no worries it's all about custom colours here the more the merrier. Have you caught any fish with those?
I saw your posts on tackleunderground and been meaning to ask you what you went with for top coat, how did the concrete sealer work out?

If I was a fish I'd probably go for your 4th pic! In reality I'm sure any one of those could work depending on when/where/water colour/mood/tide/what colour shirt you're wearing/bananas on boat etc...

I found the concrete sealer to be rated a 10 on the ease of use and durability. But the total cure time is weeks or maybe months to completely harden. The other and bigger issue is that it can become tacky when left in the sun or high temperature conditions. I've had a few plugs stuck together in my Plano boxes. I've used the concrete sealer on spoons as well but found it often left fine spider type web cracks on the chrome side of the spoon. Since discovering those issues I no longer use it.

I now use a 2 part urethane automotive clear coat that is tuff as nails once cured. Cure time is probably about 24-48 hours. In fact I sprayed some spoons one day and left to dry the following day I attempted to clean of the back side overspray using lacquer thinner and found it nearly impossible to remove. I now coat the back aside of my spoons with Vaseline prior to clear coating.

I'll get back to you on the product line that I use since I'm at work and the product is at home.

I'm not a real experienced plug dragger but caught some nice springs in Rivers Inlet on a similar pattern to a Tomic 602. And a few Dollies have been hooked on plugs in fresh water.

Last edited:
I haven't been on tackle underground in the longest time. There's some talented artist on that site. I believe that it's way too much detail work for what we're trying to accomplish.

IMG_6807.JPG Here is the clear coat that I now use on my Plugs and Spoons. It gets sprayed in a simple makeshift spray booth in my garage.

Tomics website says that aren't accepting any plugs for repainting at this time so went out and bought some airbrush tools and supplies for some DIY

Thinking of popping the pins out on them due to the amount of time that went into painting them and not wanting to lose any to fish or seals. Not sure what works yet, gonna get a few wet this weekend.

Which colour would you pick? Springs being the likely target
a2Q7lU9.jpg
Go.Fish, are you still painting? I'm curious what new créations that you may have come up with.

Back