Tohatsu vs yamaha

Goblin

looking for a new kicker for my 18 ft aluminum, want to go for a new 8 hp Yamaha of course. I can get a new tohatsu with 5 yr warranty for the price of a used Yamaha with hours and out of warranty. Don't have much knowledge of these motors but everything I find for reviews are pretty good mostly that they are mercs or nissans in a different costume. Any opinions would be great.

Suzukis offering a 6 year warranty right now. I'd skip the tohatsu and look at one of those.

Correct. Same as Merc or Nissan. I actually found my Nissan ran smoother than my current Yamaha 8. The tilt and trim etc is much stronger on the Yammie though.

Good to know about the tilt, they do take a bit if pounding on the trailer and around on the fishing adventures.

Go Hulltruth and search Tohatsu. They are suppose to be good motors. If you go Yamaha go with the 9.9, i have both a 8 hp and 9.9 and the 9.9 uses a lot less gas ? The 8 hp has too work much harder it seems. Just my opinion !

i have had a tohatsu for four years now, hasnt skipped a beat and the price point was far better, and yes tohatsu manufactures for many companies under 50hp.

I'm only on the ocean for 1 week a year. I'm on the big interior lakes mostly. 8 hp with high thrust prop should be pretty sufficient in most cases? It's going on a 18 ft hewescraft so the boat is pretty light.

I'm only on the ocean for 1 week a year. I'm on the big interior lakes mostly. 8 hp with high thrust prop should be pretty sufficient in most cases? It's going on a 18 ft hewescraft so the boat is pretty light.

plenty at 8hp

Little bit of research will often show brand names often lead us to emotional comfort but not exactly reliability or value.

Found a Yamaha in Langley for a 200 more than the tohatsu but probably worth it!! Easier to get parts and service in my area.

Keep in mind that when these engine companies like Tohatsu produce engines for others like Yamaha they are made to Yamaha specs which may not be the case when they produce it under their own name. I have looked these engines over in the past and although the engine parts themselves may be on par with others the quality and attention to detail leaves something to be desired when it comes to the exterior products. Messing with shifters, starters, wiring, linkages can be everything on an engine doesn't matter 2 hoots if the engine in itself can still run. Just my take on it, not that it matters.

I owned a Tohatsu 20hp for 3 years -- sold the boat 18 months ago. The Tohastu 20 is the same engine as the Merc 15 Bigfoot with a different carb -- BUT -- it has a 12A alternator and, a pull start. The engine is great. Started easily. The emergency pull start is a major bonus. Great engine.

Back