Tofino and Ucluelet Outlook and Reports 2011

T

tofinofish

I wanted to start this off with our positive outlook for the 2011 season, as a segway to many great reports to follow from those of you getting bent out there this season....

Tofino and Ucluelet B.C.
Sport Fishing Outlook 2011

For years, the Tofino BC area has been highlighted in publications and media circuits far and wide, with focus often stemming from news of an award winning Resort or eclectic cuisine. These stories rarely go beyond a paragraph or two, before the journalistic prose expands into the Tofino area as a whole and what makes it truly unique, so unique that people migrate here annually for Surf, Sand, Spas, Food and Fish.
The diversity of the Pacific Rim area provides an enticement to visitors that is often unrivalled by communities of similar size, not only in British Columbia, but on a world-wide scale. Amenities and attractions, natural beauty and adventure, open Pacific and protected inlets to enjoy, explore and Fish.
With the 2009 and 2010 sport fishing seasons playing out to be the best in the last decade, local and visiting anglers are excited to hear that 2011 is forecasted to again provide very strong Chinook and Coho Salmon fishing opportunities. The strength of the recent and forecasted Columbia River Chinook and Coho returns have been a definite highlight for local fisheries, and provide an extremely strong component in supporting the west coast of Vancouver Island sport fishing opportunities for the future. So strong in fact, that the Chinook salmon from coastal Washington State and Columbia River Hatcheries make up well over 80% of Tofino’s early season Salmon fishery. What is even greater news for Tofino and Ucluelet area anglers is that prime components of these strong southern stocks are forecasted to be the largest on record since 1980. These are primarily larger 4 and 5 year old Chinook coming from nearly 100 Million hatchery augmented runs. Yes, that is a lot of zeros in 100,000,000 meaning a lot of young salmon entering the ocean with very good marine survival conditions during recent years. The Salmon Enhancement news and efforts south of the border just gets better. The 2009 release exceeded 100 million and an even higher budget has been allotted to supporting these runs, with the Snake River production alone exceeding the hatchery Chinook salmon outputs of Canada’s Department of Fisheries and Ocean’s efforts in British Columbia. Some folks thank their neighbours for feeding the cat or bringing in the newspaper, but we can be extremely thankful that our neighbours south of the border believe in supporting Salmon runs.
For the 2011 season, these exceptionally strong spring runs of Chinook salmon should appear along Tofino and Ucluelet’s outer coastline by early April, with the “wave” of southern migrating Chinook continuing through July and early August. These transient salmon find the habitat and abundant food source along Tofino and Ucluelet’s offshore banks a prime setting for the juvenile stage of their life cycle, as well as the final adult stage, when they feed hard in preparation for the final journey to natal streams. This scenario is one that anglers anticipate each season, and fortunately it happens in our local waters as much or more than most areas of the B.C. coast.
The waters that average 145-160 feet deep, approximately 4-8 miles offshore near Portland Point, Three Humps and the Heisen Bank will be the go-to area for the Tofino area anglers. Trolling near the bottom with Anchovies or Needlefish hoochies as well as thin Needlefish style spoons are preferred methods to ensure success. The larger 4-5 year old Columbia River Chinook often travel closer to the shoreline in relatively shallow waters during this same time, providing an option for smaller vessels to pursue these magnificent fish within a safe proximity to Clayoquot Sound. A little further south towards Ucluelet and offshore on La Perouse Bank, some tolling depths are deeper in the gully areas, but a similar gear approach is often used. As the abundant schools of Sardines reappear in the area as a staple food source for the maturing Salmon, the preferred gear size increases with larger spoons and plugs becoming as popular as ever for this fishery.
The strength of the area’s inshore Coho fishery has rebounded to rival past years that helped label Clayoquot Sound and to a slightly lesser degree, Barclay Sound as B.C.’s premier Saltwater Fly fishing destination. Schools of hungry Coho Salmon arrive in late May and early June, and thrive among the myriad of Islands, Reefs and Kelp Forests, foraging on abundant schools of Needlefish as well as Euphasids. Likely due in part to the beneficial conditions of the base stage of marine survival, these aggressive Coho have been reaching amazing size proportions by mid to late summer, and returning through the fall well past the end of October. Recent reports indicate that one of the area’s main transient Coho runs originating from Puget sound is expected to return at nearly a 10% survival rate, which is triple the average of B.C.’s Coho stocks in recent years. The same favourable ocean conditions will provide for stronger B.C. returns as well, with one respected Fisheries Scientist predicting the best Coho numbers in the past 10 years!! This area and fishery has been favoured by many smaller vessel anglers, and has become extremely popular again, most notably for those that enjoy catching hard fighting Coho Salmon on a Fly Rod in the shallow, protected waters of the sound.
Recreational Halibut Fishing along Tofino’s outer coastline should also remain consistently strong, due to Canada’s overall biomass of Halibut increasing over recent years. The average size and weight has also increased as forecasted, with anglers along Vancouver Island’s west coast experiencing great success in 2010. Catch limits and a seasonal opening date is not set at the time of writing, but the International Pacific Halibut Commission has increased the “exploitable” portion of the biomass allocated to Area 2B-Canada, which is then managed and allocated within Canada by DFO. Announcements are anticipated soon regarding seasonal planning and regulations. The Tofino and Ucluelet B.C. areas’ early season months of April May June and July will be the best bet for Halibut fishing within 6 -10 miles of the coastline, with average sizes likely in the 20-40 lb range. Late season regulation changes may be in effect, so make sure you consult with people in the know prior to trip planning, or check the DFO website for current regulations.

As outlined in the Tofino & Ucluelet BC 2011 Sportfishing Outlook above, a huge portion of the Pacific Rim areas' Chinook Salmon catch originates in U.S. rivers and streams south of the border. This recent update from the Washington State Dept. of Fish & Wildlife is more great news for local anglers that are already seeing good number of these large sized early run Salmon.

"Large Chinook Salmon, five-year-old fish are expected to make up an unusually high portion of this year’s catch, said Joe Hymer, a WDFW fish biologist. More than 100,000 five-year-old spring chinook – each weighing 18 to 30 pounds – are predicted to pass through fisheries en route to the Willamette River or the upper Columbia River this year.

By comparison, only about 26,000 five-year-old fish returned to those areas last year, despite a strong run of 423,000 spring chinook to those waters."

Nearshore areas close to Tofino, such Moser point and Wilf Rock have provided very strong early season Chinook Fishing so far, with many in the mid to high teens. Anchovies, 3 1/2 inch Oki Titans and Needlefish Hoochies are on.

Despite the fact that it's still a few months off amigo, i am already counting down the days until i splash the grady for another awesome summer in Tofino. Thanks for the great info, and i'll be seeing you guys in a few short months!

Until then....it's tequila and tuna time!

Booked for June 17, July 22, and Aug 12 weekends in Ukee. 7-8 fishing days total. Hooks are sharp and leaders tied already.

planning to keep my boat in Tofino for may and june this year, If I can get out there for 4 or even 5 of the 8 weekends I'll be real happy with that.

last time i was in Tofino i ate at "Shelter", i would reccommend this restaurant, hope it's still good....holmes*

It was great yesterday................ shrimp and avocado sandwich = yumm

Yup.....it's still good. Usually stop in for lunch at least once while I am there.

There was a super hot chiquita working behind the bar there either last year or the year before........always made my Friday lunch well worthwhile. :p ;)

Chinook Fishing; Recent report from North of Tofino and South of Estevan Pt. that there are good numbers of Mediums with many clipped, so this is likley the start of bigger and better things to come down on us very soon.
Weather is too tough right now to verify these reports first hand, but we will be there soon.

Weather permitting, we will be fishing out of Ukee, May 15-18. Wondering if anyone has recent reports for the area?

I have heard good reports.......I'll be off Tofino on Saturday and Sunday.

I had also better things a little while back and then things slowed as I guess the fished continued south. Fishtofino may pipe in with some recent news but I heard a good report either yesterday or Sunday.

Moving down from Nootka/Critter Cove to Ukee this year...sorry Holmes--will msis the ribs--but i see you are not going back this year. Wife wants to come and bring the mutt so the floating docks not an option--son graduating from USA HS and moving on to college in Florida so she wants to have as much time this summer as possible. Fished Tofino years back (when i was just starting and dumb as a rock)and going with a boat of friends who have it dialed in last few years...looking forward to it. Will miss Bajo but looking forward to some deeper fishing Aug. 12-16...staying at Island West. Got about 20 hot spots on the GPS already loaded and ready to go...looking at about 5-8 of them that i can actually run to. Ready to slay some fish in 2011!

Had a fairly good weekend........manged a better showing on Saturday at Portland for the springers with hoochies/spoons being the hot ticket; there were a few "rookie" long line releases. Army truck needlefish........and a silver coyote did all of our damage with the same offerings on Sunday. Sunday was a bit slower but we did scare up 4 springs today between 3 of us between Portland and just off Long Beach; the radio chatter had things sounding pretty slow right through the fleet.

Nothing overly large...pretty much in the 14-20lb range.

That's right....... it slows down right after an opening.

Shocking huh?

Still waiting for the big boys. Went thru 3 packs of Anchovies on Salmon and Halibut yesterday on bites from mediums with decent 30 -40lb + Halis. Calm seas sure help.

Up and down with the weather

It has been a tough one to figure out....
The Salmon fishing turns on for a while and then the barometer acts like a Yo-Yo, turning it off in one area but another seems to stay consistant..Portland area can be going and Raphael pt is slow or Vise Versa
Runs must be moving fast.....
Tonight we had Salmon over 20 and nice quality Halibut, calm seas and stable barometer helps..

It sure hasn't been very bad overall, but with more consistant weather I think it will provide steady action, and hopefully bring on the large.
Average Halibut is better quality, but not much for gear in the water based on weather and other factors, so DFO needs to consider that towards creel....

Ya Shawn.......there were a few commie guys at Portland on Sunday but they seemed to have moved down off of Long Beach as from what I could see in the sort of hazy/foggy/rainy weather there was at least a dozen down in those waters as opposed to just a couple at Portland.

I heard talking to Jeff that you had done pretty well on the hali's.

Update; Since writing this report 3 days ago, the Salmon and Halibut fishing has turned up another notch. Salmon sizes have increased by an average of 4-5 lbs this week. A different run of Fish for sure...See what Josh has posted as well for updates and pictures..

Halibut are chomping hard, with many fish over 50 this week.
Coho Salmon have showed fairly strong with these larger Chinook as well, both inshore and offshore. Ling Cod up to 40 lbs were slamming our jigs yesterday, even found a Sockeye that wanted a large cod Jig, so they must be getting thick too...

Tofino B.C. Fishing Report update June 29th, 2011

Tofino B.C. Offshore Fishing Report The month of June has provided better than average offshore fishing conditions, with light to moderate winds and swell conditions for most days. Chinook Salmon have been very plentiful, with average sizes in the 14-24 lb range. The best action has been within 5 miles of Tofino’s outer coastline near areas known as Portland Pt and Three Humps. Clayoquot Ventures guides have been averaging between 15-20 Chinook Salmon per day, so there has been lots of action and many beautiful Salmon photographed and released. Halibut Fishing has been excellent in these same areas as well, with the average size of Halibut seeming to increase over the last year as forecasted. Many Halibut have been weighing in the 25-45 lb range average, providing plenty of battle and exceptional table fare for the seafood lovers....North from Tofino outside of Hot Springs Cove area has also provided very good fishing for Salmon and Bottomfish. The travel time is a little longer but the fishing and scenery make it a worthwhile venture. Coho Salmon are starting to show in stronger numbers offshore this past week, with very strong numbers anticipated to arrive just ahead of the major Pink and Sockeye salmon runs that should be upon us by mid July. Overall rating and forecast for Tofino’s Offshore Fishing; Excellent

Tofino B.C. Inshore Fishing Report June is the month when Tofino’s inshore action begins to really heat up, followed by July when the fishery really turns on fire. Coho Salmon numbers have been sporadically good throughout the month, with preliminary signs of the strong numbers forecasted for this popular Salmon species. Much of the Coho fishing action is focused on anglers using very light tackle or Fly patterns trolled or “Bucktailed” on the surface. Not many of the Coho Salmon to date have been exceeding 8 lbs, but they will often double in size by the end of the season so as the Coho get more plentiful, they will also get far bigger. Fishing for Chinook Salmon on the inside waters has also been good, but has seen less angling effort overall due to favourable offshore conditions and very strong numbers. Productive spots for Coho and Chinook Salmon have been near Monk Rock and Burgess Island, as well as Catface area. As July arrives, the inshore action will be in prime time, with areas around Blundan, Bartlett and Tibbs Islands a good focus for success. Overall rating for Tofino’s inshore fishing; Good and forecasted to be excellent.

Tofino B.C. Freshwater Fishing Report As the annual downstream Salmon fry migration occurs in local streams and Rivers, June is the most active time for Sea Run Cutthroat Trout to focus on these small fry in lower rivers and estuaries, varying their diet slightly from Stickleback and Euphasids. The Trout fishing can be exceptional during this time, with small streamer style Flies or small spoons and spinners that mimic the Salmon fry. Areas like Grice Bay and streams that feed into Kennedy lake are popular. Some streams also see small runs of late spring and early Summer run Steelhead that are not easy to catch, providing great challenge for Fly fishermen who venture into the remote rivers of the area. Anglers are reminded that all Trout and Steelhead in the ocean and local streams are 100 percent Catch and Release, so please release them carefully. Overall rating for Tofino’s local Freshwater Fishing; Good

Tofino B.C. Fly & Tackle Gear Tips With the peak of the Saltwater Season upon us, and our two main Salmon species arriving in strong numbers, here are a few suggestions to consider for your next fishing trip in the Tofino area. Chinook Salmon fishing offshore has been best with Army Truck Needlefish Hoochies, Oki Titan spoons in 4 inch or Anchovies in the 5 inch range. All can be trolled behind an Oki Flasher in Purple-Chrome, Purple-Glow or Purple Gold very near the bottom. Halibut options are not often varied from the reliable White Power Grubs or Salmon bellies fished on a spreader bar, bouncing the bottom in 140-150 feet. Coho Salmon focus should include 5-6 inch Polar Bear Bucktails in Pink or Orange, trolled within 15 feet of your motor. Terminal gear for Coho should include chartreuse Clayoquot Candlefish Spoons trolled on a 40 inch leader behind a mini flasher.

Fishing was extremely good when the weather co operated. Nasty on Friday could not get out far. Saturday and Sunday were non stop action with most fish in the high teens but a few mid to high 20's.

Back