Tofino “Fish for the Future”

Marsman

Hi all,

At the ferry and off to Tofino for the Willie Mitchell Fish for the Future coho derby. Had a blast last year staying at Tofino Wilderness Resort. Last year was tough fishing and landed only one coho Sunday which turned out to be 15.5lbs and won the derby. Pure luck. Lol. Money goes to a good cause to help with fish habitat in the Tofino area.

Normally I do t do derbies as people will cheat and do anything to win most times but this derby is a catch and release. Once you get the fish in the net you call a weigh boat and they zip over, take you net, rod and reel and measure the fish. Then release the fish and give your net and gear back. Also a beer to go with it. This is the best derby I’ve ever went in and the people are great. I think we will have to wear the “Cow” costumes again this year.

Cheers, Rob

Twas a great even last year and wish a flight out on Sunday for work didn't change things this year!!!

I hope those large net pen northern coho that you guys hide way up the sound at Tofino Wilderness Resort are up to snuff for you to drag one out for another victory. :p:p:p:p

I am still amazed that you hooked one in the pen and dragged all that way to be in the "zone" for the C&R measurements. ;);););)

We had a good laugh watching the cows as we listened to 80's and 90's hip hop having a blast.

For any who may contemplate it for next year.....you won't be disappointed as Willie and his team put on a great event.

Love the report.

We are doing the Heli trip tomorrow of weather is good that we won last year. Going to be fun to hit the river for a little C&R. I’ll gopro it and put it on a server for you to download.

Thanks Pippen.

Oh! By the way... the cows will be out there again. Suppose to be a rainy day Saturday so if not Saturday then Sunday for the wind up. Lol

Rob

Back