Hey all, just curious, how far up toba are these fish being caught? I have been thinking of making the run from campbell river, but its new chart for me.

Any details would be great?

thanks

Hey all, just curious, how far up toba are these fish being caught? I have been thinking of making the run from campbell river, but its new chart for me.

Any details would be great?

thanks

I'd say from CR your about 40 N. miles to Channel Is./Toba inlet. From there you can fish several areas. Hope that helps a bit! I'm sure Farmerboytim will nail it down for you...

Planning a trip in that area..kinda..(Little Dent Is) May long weekend.
Never been but might try to get over that way..any info pm or other wise would be much appreciated.
Good luck guys

Planning a trip in that area..kinda..(Little Dent Is) May long weekend.
Never been but might try to get over that way..any info pm or other wise would be much appreciated.
Good luck guys

Little Dent is a great place. What do you want to know about? Dent or Toba?

Hi charlie415
I've up to Little Dent many times throughout the yr but never been up Toba.
I'd love to try a new area.

Here are some of the local go to areas. Personally I usually start at 100'-120' and move up and down the water column as needed. Not that every shaded area is written in stone as all areas can be productive on certain tides and all areas can be expanded to find the fish. Beware when downrigger balls are searching near bottom bad things can and will happen to everyone. No one is immune to loosing the odd ball.

Brettell Point.png Double Island.png The Beach.png Waddington.png

Thanks very much charlie415
We are planning a trip up to Little Dent this May long weekend. I think I will make the run up that way to check things out..I will let you know how we do if trip pans out
Again thanks
Steve

I just got back from 4 days in Toba. Brettell Point just like Charlie415 has showen was the spot this time around. We pulled 9 springs out of there working the wall. Biggest fish in our group was 28lbs then a 26lbs. Most fish in the teens. Fun trip lots of action. We fish this area a lot and still donated a cannon ball to Brettell never fails. As for gear it seemed everything was working when it was hot but when things slowed bait was the ticket.

Charlie and Leftcoast -awesome update. Thanks guys. Headed up May 13th. Those are some nice big springs!!! Epic stuff. Were there many other boats?
I assume you just keep trying spots every couple of hours until you get into some action? Is that the ticket Leftcoast? Pretty much my plan of attack?

Is there a VHF station that guys stand by up there or anything like that?

Leftcoast, where do you stay at when fishing Toba area? Last year we stayed at Homfray lodge which was ok.. Had my lap top stolen when I was there though.. So that was a pleasant experience!!

Last edited:
Charlie and Leftcoast -awesome update. Thanks guys. Headed up May 13th. Those are some nice big springs!!! Epic stuff. Were there many other boats?
I assume you just keep trying spots every couple of hours until you get into some action? Is that the ticket Leftcoast? Pretty much my plan of attack?

Is there a VHF station that guys stand by up there or anything like that?

Not many other boats just our group I think I saw one other boat up there I didn't know. You usually won't find much for boats fishing in Toba. I usually just try the spots Charlie415 has outlined until you find them. Toba can be spotty it can be really good or really slow so go in with that mind set. Enjoy the beauty!

No really VHF channel for fish chat up there since it's not overly busy.

Leftcoast, where do you stay at when fishing Toba area? Last year we stayed at Homfray lodge which was ok.. Had my lap top stolen when I was there though.. So that was a pleasant experience!!

Wow Laptop stolen how would they get away with that it's so small crazy. Sorry to hear. I will PM you details.

thanks Leftcoast. My experience with Toba is the same. Very hot and very cold. Just move around till you find em. Will report back.

It's funny, I have seen it when there is only a short bite at tide change. Crazy busy for about 45 minutes then dead for the next 6 hours. Some times only a first light and last light bite. It was steady all day long when I was up there, no preference to when the bite came on. Not always like that but for now there seems to be a good run of fish moving through with bait to hold them there. Could change tomorrow. That's why it's called fishing.

Any new reports to offer up in the area? I'm thinking about setting prawn traps and the trying local area for salmon. Sarah point, king born, Lewis Channel etc

Lewis has gone quiet for sure. Fished the ebb both Sat and Sunday. Mostly shakers and barely legals. Heard Iron Mines was good this weekend. Also spoke to some Prawner's in Lund and they said this was one of the worst seasons in memory. Good luck

Back