To brine or not to brine?

Going to smoke some fish for canning. I will be using a Big Chief. Is it proper to brine first? and how long to smoke, don't want to spoil as I did before with to much smoke flavour and dryness. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I have looked in the archives as well.

I'm finding the search function less user-friendly than before. If memory serves, some guys brine but cut back on the salt, then smoke for about a quarter of the regular time. Other people put a piece of regular smoked salmon in the jar/can to flavour the raw stuff.

yes brine for 24 hours but rinse lightly before smoking. this will give a stronger flavour so can only with water do not add salt or vinegar. hot smoking i usually go for two hours if Im canning it. 6 hours for a cold smoked salmon that is to be canned.

Hey salmonlander: Obviously you don't have the manual for the smoker which will give you a rough idea on operations, brining etc. Smoking and brining recipies are all over the net. I have found a pdf file of the little or big chief smokers manual. Hope it helps you get started.;) eman
http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/LCRB.pdf

EM I have been smoking salmon for a long time, just not canning smoked salmon. The last and only time I did it, the canned fish had a very heavy smoke taste. It seemed to intesify the smoke when canned. Trying for just a hint of smoke. Thanks

Hey salmonlander: Try just one pan of smoke and only half dry the fish so it's still moist but managable. You will still have to brine of course. This should impart a milder smoke flavour as well as not drying your salmon to a balsa wood consistency when canned. Good Luck.;) eman

Brine for 12 hours, let sit for the usual time to develop the pelicure, then smoke one pan of wood, process for the usual 90/100 min at 10lbs/ or save yourself a lot of trouble and add 3 or 4 drops of liquid smoke before canning. Wonderfully moist with just the right smoky flavour.

What I did was no brine, 2 pans of apple/cherry mix, smoked pans for 15 minutes each then let sit in the smoker for 1 hour with smoker unplugged then right into the pressure cooker for 90 minutes at 15#. It turned out super, light smoke and not at all dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back