Tips for minimizing algae/barnacles over summer?

BarryA

Crew Member
Does anyone have any good suggestions for how to minimize algae and barnacles on an aluminum boat that will be moored over the summer?

Each year my boat sits in a slip from mid June to early September. When I pull it it has 8-10" of algae and several barnacles. I hit it with a stiff broom brush every couple weeks, but it only takes care of the crap near the water line.

Was hoping someone had some tips on waxes or coatings I could apply beforehand to stem the tide a bit. Perhaps a good coat of carnuba or something would help?

I've considered bottom paint but not sure it is the best option, especially since I fish year round and trailer the boat a lot which would damage the coating near the bunks.

Thx,

Barry

The only thing that will really help is bottom kote on everything below the waterline including your leg. Even with full bottom kote on everthing it won't completely stop it if your in a really bad location for growth.

I've kept a boat moored at the plaza of nations in false creek full time for several seasons. It was brutal for growth. Even with full bottom kote on everthing it was a losing battle.

If your keeping it in only for a short time you might want to smear zinc oxide cream on your leg as an alternative to bottom kote on your leg.

The only other factor that you can control somewhat is the amount of sun the boat receives. If you have a North/South slip, moor the boat with the leg on the north side. The leg will get less sun and that hopefully will mean less growth. In the location where growth was terrible I saw a few guys that went to the extreme of using thick black poly sheet weighted on the ends and submerged to cover the back end of the boat to lessen the growth. No idea how well that worked, and I'm guessing that's a hassle to put in place & remove each time.

Some locations are so much worse than others. That's the only thing I preferred about being moored on the Fraser. So much easier on the boat, and way less maintenance. The only thing you can really do to prevent it is frequent removal and power washing or just make sure you take your boat out for a good run every week.

I'm sure other guys might have some further tips. Sorry, there's only so much you can do if the boat sits moored for a long time

Have to be careful with alum and bottom paint maybe a expert can explain it has to be properly primed and a special bottom paint. just dont put anything on till its been explained is best advice.

Have to be careful with alum and bottom paint maybe a expert can explain it has to be properly primed and a special bottom paint. just dont put anything on till its been explained is best advice.
You are 100% correct Wolf. You need a special type of anti fouling paint to do your leg, and it is pricey. Any aluminum needs to be primed first, at least with the types I have used.

There nothing you can do except powerwash it when needed. I've been doing it for 20 years with a boat in the water full time. My boat runs 5 days a week and that helps but eventually there will be performance reducing growth.
I've played around with zink oxide but it's hard to get it to stick to stuff especially aluminum but it does stop growth.

My boat is Moored in false creek year round, the bottom paint seems to be a waste of time. I still get crazy growth. Wish it was never painted and I would just presure wash it when needed like birds nest said.

My boat is Moored in false creek year round, the bottom paint seems to be a waste of time. I still get crazy growth. Wish it was never painted and I would just presure wash it when needed like birds nest said.
Ya your totally right Murph. The bottom coat will not prevent the growth in really nasty areas. It just slows it down somewhat. The further up false creek you are moored the worse it gets. The growth up at the end of the creek was unbelievable. Moving water keeps the growth down. All you can do is have a regular pressure washing regimen to totally prevent it. Bottom coating an aluminum boat is expensive. You may just want to try to keep it power washed regularly instead. Aluminum requires way more prep to paint.

I do the same thing over the summer with my ThunderJet. Where I moor, I pull it out and powerwash it every 4weeks max. Any longer and I get barnacles. Anything green comes off pretty easily, but the barnies are a bi@tch. The other thing that I found helpful is to get the boat out for a good rip every other day. Occasionally I will beach the boat somewhere sandy, kick the kids off and let them eat lunch while I wade in and scrub whatever I can with a stiff brush.

I have also heard that if you can get the boat into fresh water for a day or two it will kill just about everything (except barnacles - and even if they did die you still have the white rings of doom to deal with). I haven't tried this though.

Last edited:
I've definitely noticed one side of the boat is cleaner than the other due to sun exposure. I have a good stiff broom brush that works great, but was a PITA to use because I was mostly having to scrub the side of the boat opposite the dock. I should pick a better slip next time so the southern side is the dock side.

The buildup is not a huge deal, just an annoyance to look at. I pull the boat every 5-6 weeks to move between marinas so pressure washing has been a viable solution. I was hoping there was an elegant solution I hadn't considered. Oh well.

Thx,

Barry

Some guys draped the black poly over the side of the boat not tied to the dock as well if I recall. That was an unbelievable location for growth, never seen anywhere else so bad. I guess it all depends how much hassle the haul out and power washing is. If you can do the power washing easily and frequently, then all the other methods are probably not worth the expense & extra bs.

Some guys draped the black poly over the side of the boat not tied to the dock as well if I recall. That was an unbelievable location for growth, never seen anywhere else so bad. I guess it all depends how much hassle the haul out and power washing is. If you can do the power washing easily and frequently, then all the other methods are probably not worth the expense & extra bs.

When I get back from fishing, im only thinking about how fast I can get back to my place so I can drink a beer and sit in the hot tub. Got no time to maneuver plastic sheeting around the boat! :)

When I get back from fishing, im only thinking about how fast I can get back to my place so I can drink a beer and sit in the hot tub. Got no time to maneuver plastic sheeting around the boat! :)
Don't blame you. But if you knew were not going out in the boat for a long time then it might be a good option for while you were away to keep the growth down. A little too much bs for me as well, but I thought I'd mention it as I'd seen guys using this method.

Back