Tin can canning.

hiroshi

:(Can anyone lead me to a site or explain to me how one can can salmon in tin cans. I'm doing something wrong in the cooking process before sealing. Comes out overcooked.

Hey hiroshi: I must compliment you on your fishing prowess on the west coast. As far as canning goes, I would suggest that Salmon Jars with a pressure cooker might be an option.;) eman

you need a pressurecooker and tins plus the hand cranker to put the lids on, wells canning in van has it all. i used to jar can but once i found out the tinning method i wouldnt go back.

cram the canfull ofraw fish crank on the lid then pressure cook at12lbs for 90minutesremoveand then submergecan in cold water and you are done your cans may be upside down and sideways whilethey are cooking.

there is no cooking process before sealing, the raw fish cooks in the can, the hand cranker seals the tin by folding metal over on to the lid just like cans of food at home,pressure cook at 12to 15 pounds for 90 minutes after lid is cranked onto canafter cookingput into cold waterand your done,cans can be upside down or sidewise in cooker,so usually you can fit a lot into your pressure cooker.

For those of you that are interested in canning salmon in tins, I found the following unit on eBay. It is listed by a guy out of Courtenay so if you were successful you could likely just pick it up. Looks to be in good condition but I have no idea what these things are worth....
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAN-SEALER-IVES...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5a0fa666

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Back