Times Colonist: For the sake of orcas, don’t hook a chinook

I read this and liked it.Ya that question by Liz May is brutal! my Question; would this be published in B.C or is it only Alberta that would dare.??? so needed!!!

You know that you can read the NEB report yourself and draw your own conclusions. I'll leave a link to it at the end. Here is the bit that I found interesting that gives me pause and it should for all of us.

Page 9 of the NEB report
"Disposition After completing the Reconsideration hearing and having regard to all relevant considerations, the Board is of the view that the Project is and will be required by the present and future public convenience and necessity, and is in the Canadian public interest. Pursuant to the National Energy Board Act (NEB Act), the Board confirms the recommendation, and replaces certain conditions, that it provided to the GIC in its OH-001-2014 Report. The Board recommends that the GIC approve the Project by directing the issuance of a certificate of public convenience and necessity (CPCN) to Trans Mountain Pipeline ULC (Trans Mountain), subject to 156 conditions.

Pursuant to the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, 2012 (CEAA 2012) the Board is of the view that the designated Project is likely to cause significant adverse environmental effects. Specifically, Project-related marine shipping is likely to cause significant adverse environmental effects on the Southern resident killer whale, and on Indigenous cultural use associated with the Southern resident killer whale. This is despite the fact that effects from Project-related marine shipping will be a small fraction of the total cumulative effects, and the level of marine traffic is expected to increase regardless of whether the Project is approved. The Board also finds that greenhouse gas (or GHG) emissions from Project-related marine vessels would result in measureable increases and, taking a precautionary approach, are likely to be significant. While a credible worst-case spill from the Project or a Project-related vessel is not likely, if it were to occur, the environmental effects would be significant. While these effects weighed heavily in the Board’s reconsideration of Project-related marine shipping, the Board recommends that, in light of the considerable benefits of the Project and measures to mitigate the effects, the GIC find that they can be justified in the circumstances. The Board has identified a recommended follow-up program to be implemented with respect to the designated Project.

Pursuant to the Species at Risk Act (SARA), the Board has identified the adverse effects of the Project and its related marine shipping on each SARA-listed wildlife species and its critical habitat, and has imposed (through conditions) and recommended (to the GIC) measures to avoid or lessen those effects and to monitor them."

The question is how do you mitigate these effects? Could you make available more salmon for the whales? Could you lessen the noise that all those small boats make? Who do you think is going to take the hit on that so that our friends can get the oil out.

https://www.neb-one.gc.ca/pplctnflng/mjrpp/trnsmntnxpnsn/trnsmntnxpnsnrprt-eng.pdf

I dont teally like the article from Alberta. It really went after ww and boating as the most noisy. Freighters are pretty noisy. In the end though I am not convinced this is why whales are declining either.

I am neither here or there on the pipeline. It does seem hypocritical of the B.C. Government to be opposing the pipeline because of increased ship traffic while increasing B.C. ferries sailings

Back