Time for dads boat

treblig

We have always put our three kids first and their education. The last child has graduated from university and now that I am retired its time dad to buy the boat that he always wanted. I have always depended on others taking me out on the Pacific Pond. Now it going to be my turn. Thank goodness for friends that will help me inspect and review prospective boats with pros and cons on the boats and trailers. It will be aluminium boat no bigger than 21 feet. No hurry as I have waited for thirty-five years already hahahaha

If any members know a sweet private deal please PM me.

Thanks gil

Not to spoil your well deserved toy but you had better used the last 35 years to own your boat and fished off it as there may not be much left of our fishery soon. On the other hand there will be great deals on used boats to come.

Not to spoil your well deserved toy but you had better used the last 35 years to own your boat and fished off it as there may not be much left of our fishery soon. On the other hand there will be great deals on used boats to come.

Way to go Debbie Downer, nice of you to spoil the guys dream he has had for the last 25 years.

Why didn’t you also break it to him that we live in one of the most beautiful places on earth and guys aren’t going to be selling $100k boats for $500 just because retention limits are slightly reduced?

Treblig - what type of boat are you looking for? how much you looking to spend?

Way to go Debbie Downer, nice of you to spoil the guys dream he has had for the last 25 years.

Why didn’t you also break it to him that we live in one of the most beautiful places on earth and guys aren’t going to be selling $100k boats for $500 just because retention limits are slightly reduced?

Treblig - what type of boat are you looking for? how much you looking to spend?

Well, I am a little embarrassed. I can't afford a brand new boat as retirement has limited my options. Maximum 30k but I would rather it be lower. I know I do not want an inboard. I would like it to be good on gas. Two friends have aluminium 19 foot with 90 horse and great on gas. The others have fibreglass and are heavier boats. Love being in them but they do use more gas. I have been told to stay away from electric brake trailers as they have consistent issues. I do want to have protection from the weather so my kids or Mrs would enjoy their ride. A lot of toys included would be nice and also keep cost down like downriggers, depth sounders etc. I did find to a perfect aluminium boat with lots of toys in my max bracket but then found out it was the USA so add another 35% and then GST to bring across. I did see a fibreglass but it is a heavier boat and the outboard motor though sent up alarm bells. It was an Evinrude I can't remember the model now but the issues customer had been horrendous. I even wrote to Evinrude and they would not respond. This will be my first and the last boat so lucky I have lots of friends that will guide me on the forum and personally. Keep in touch if you see a sweet deal. Thanks Gil

HI Treb don't worry about about buying a new boat you have tons of options when looking at a used boat, make a list of what you want and take some time don't be in a rush.
Get on as many boats as you can to see how they would work if it was yours or what would you change.
If you stay under 150 hp you will be fairly good on fuel, hull weight, size is the factor 17- 20 foot is about right for economy.

You don't need a big boat to fish well, a well setup small boat is deadly . You need a bigger boat to travel longer distances, so trailer a smaller boat and fish the same spots.

Being able to use a boat ramp makes welded aluminum a good choice, but it's more expensive, offset with less horsepower required.
Fiberglass is usually cheaper more choices , heavier often rides better, can be manageable at the ramp, I launch a glass 24 foot alone, but beaching is tougher, more power required.
A Roof , Canopy , number of seats , launching yourself , how far do you typically want to travel, where you want to use it make will help narrow the choices.
Buying a bare boat and rigging it up is costly but you can often get more modern equipment if you look for deals and then pick what you want , lot's of good used stuff here..

I too bought a boat last year after waiting 20 years We drove to the east coast to pick it up , I get the Kids thing I have 3 in University at the same time .
So get out and enjoy the coast while you have your health without that nothing else really matters
Mike

It was an Evinrude I can't remember the model now but the issues customer had been horrendous. I even wrote to Evinrude and they would not respond. This will be my first and the last boat so lucky I have lots of friends that will guide me on the forum and personally

Steer clear of the OMC "Ocean Pro/Ficht models of the late 90's early 2000's
time bomb's !

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 11.26.09 AM boat.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 11.26.09 AM boat.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
what are your thoughts on this boat in the USA. It doesn't have wiring for two electric downriggers but I think that's minor. So I would have a future cost involved. What other cost do you think to bring it up to par to fish off Nanaimo? Also value for the boat to hi or a good buy

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1988-arima-sea-ranger-103544770/?refSource=standard listing

Exchange rate at ~0.74 you're looking at ~$20K CDN for the initial purchase. Add %5 GST payable at the boarder and whatever Donald-triggered tariffs that the CBSA will be charging you on top of that, you're looking at $22-25K custom cleared. Add the ferry cost, possible surveys and minor mechanical/electrical stuff and that's what you should budget for. Whether that makes sense for a 1988 FG boat with an 18-yr old rebuilt outboard is your call. It’s a nice boat though. Won’t be sitting out there for too long!

Last edited:
I have a 2000 F100 on my 542 Campion very very reliable engine for me for the last 9 years but I’m sure my outboard is only worth $2000 or even less now , it’s worth more to me

Congrats on the decision to get out into deeper water!
Arimas sounds like great boats.
Don’t forget about the timeless double eagles too! My 17’ is economical, reliable and was reasonable priced. It doesn’t have a Cuddy but the 185 and 205’s do. Great boats and for 25-30k you should get something nice.
Keep an eye on the boats on used Vic and Craigslist thread. There are some great deals found there if you’re ready to jump on it!

Thanks, everybody. This is the type of input I need. The search goes on. I'll start looking at the double eagles also.

Back