Three Solitudes, by Bob Hooton

OldBlackDog

Three Solitudes

I think it a bit of an understatement that fisheries management in British Columbia today is more complex and confused than at any time in our history. The past short while has seen three different messages broadcast by the three fishing sectors (First Nations, commercial and recreational) engaged in the continuing struggle to maintain or even increase what they view as their rightful piece of a diminishing pie. First, some facts:

1. Salmon and steelhead are a public resource. They do not belong to any one sector.
  2. Conservation is paramount according to oft stated Department of Fisheries and Oceans pronouncements.
  3. First priority after conservation needs have been met is First Nations harvest for food, social and ceremonial purposes. The Canadian Constitution guarantees that. In that context the FN fisheries are legally protected whereas the other two are not. (Just what constitutes “social and ceremonial purposes” has been stretched far beyond what seems to have been intended when the Constitution Act was formalized in 1982.)
  4. Diminishing salmon and steelhead resources will reach a point where any surplus beyond conservation will be allocated solely to First Nations. The only debate around that is how long before we get there? Many Fraser chinook stocks, all the upper Fraser coho stocks and all the Interior Fraser steelhead stocks are already there. A steadily growing number of other stocks on Vancouver Island and all along the coast of BC are not far behind and certain to follow.
  5. The Big Bar Slide on the Fraser has dramatically worsened the status of every salmon and steelhead stock originating from upstream tributaries. Many of them had already been classified as threatened and endangered before the slide occurred.
  6. West coast salmon resources are a throwaway for our Liberal government in far off Ottawa. “Our” fish are a ready currency for reconciliation. Steelhead are, by far, the worst off. Despite being directly implicated in so many fisheries conducted by First Nations (and the commercial sector) they never warrant even an honourable mention in any recent discussions within or between the three fishing sectors, much less with the superior government in Ottawa.
With these incontrovertible facts firmly in mind, here’s are recent statements from each of the three sectors that speaks volumes about their individual perceptions. I suspect I’m not alone in thinking the politicians who ultimately direct fisheries management in this province are a bit overwhelmed in their efforts to address the concerns (demands?) of the individual sectors and chart a course through the conservation and allocation minefield.

The commercial sector view of where we are and why is illustrated perfectly by a widely broadcast message from union leader Joy Thorkelson in late January, 2020. Have a look:

UNIFOR Report

Quotable quotes:

• ….the low harvests from 1999 to 2018 reflected DFO policy decisions to reduce commercial catches. Until 2019, poor harvests were not due to poor run sizes – or overfishing.
  • After 20 years of low harvests and income driven by DFO policy choices, by 2018 the fleet was in a poor financial position, unresilliant and unable to withstand the impacts of huge drop in 2019 BC coast-wide salmon returns.
  • Climate change and its various impacts on salmon have created a crisis; salmon did not return to BC from the North Pacific where they over-winter. Who knows if this pattern of low salmon returns will continue? But until there is a climate change adaptation plan for commercial fishing people and fish processors, government needs to ante-up and give fishermen and anciliary workers financial support.
  • The future looks bleak. 2020 is predicted to be as bad as 2019 all across the BC coast. The Big Bar slide will further restrict any possible Fraser fishery as work to create fish passage will likely not be fully completed in 2020 and it will take years to rebuild damaged upper Fraser salmon stocks.
  • What can be done to keep a fishing fleet in viable condition? To attract new entrants? To pass on fishing skills? To meet First Nations aspirations? To assist and engage fishing communities in retaining economic value from our fisheries? What changes need to be made?

Dear Ms Thorkelson, a couple of questions for you:

How do you suppose all those upper Fraser stocks managed to get themselves on the endangered list prepared by the best minds in the conservation community, long before that Big Bar slide? Why not look at the first 75-100 years of commercial fishery landings to gauge trends in abundance instead of cherry picking a couple of recent reports and using them out of context? What does your vision of a “climate change adaptation plan” look like? Where is it written that someone employed in a failing business or industry should be bailed out by taxpayers? Do loggers, miners, restaurant operators, house builders……..get similar consideration?

Next up, consider the world as viewed by the Sport Fishing Institute, the self proclaimed voice of the salt water recreational fishery. Point of fact, the SFI is essentially the voice of the commercial recreational fishing industry, not the entire salt water angler population as implied. Have a look at their latest:

https://www.salmonforever.ca/?fbclid=IwAR1pzanozvho8NE5HeVdIID5jwfXhb1J7_2AkXk6km5jQ7MZBVFnCVLLmNo

More quotable quotes:

• The Sport Fishing Institute of BC, representing the interest of hundreds of thousands of anglers…….
  • Since 1980 the Sport Fishing Institute of BC (SFI) has represented the interests of over 300,000 tidal water anglers and related businesses to elected officials, management agency staff, other fishery sectors and the non-angling public. (N.B. the bolded font half way through their letter states “450,000 in BC between fresh and salt water”)
  • ……..we want to bring attention to and support for a Mark Selective Fishing strategy as the best and most progressive solution to protecting our salmon, our economy, and our way of life.
  • The Big Bar slide will have long term impacts on runs of salmon and the real toll will not be fully understood for years. Adopting a mark selective fishery program, with retention of hatchery produced salmon only, during periods of time when Chinook stocks of concern are passing is an important addition to management tools.
  • Addressing area and time specific predator control of seals and sea lions would aid in the survival of millions more Chinook.
  • Since 1980 the Sport Fishing Institute of BC (SFI) has represented the interests of over 300,000 tidal water anglers and related businesses to elected officials, management agency staff, other fishery sectors and the non-angling public. (But the bolded font half way through their letter states “450,000 in BC between fresh and salt water”)
  • The public fishery in BC harvests only 10% of all salmon.

Dear SFI, some questions for you:

How many of the 300K or 450K are double counted because they hold both tidal and non-tidal licenses? I’m one and I know dozens, perhaps even hundreds of people who also purchase both licenses every year. Do you agree that it’s a bit disingenuous to characterize lake anglers among the supporters of a marked selective fishery for ocean chinook? Where are your data supporting your position there is little or no harm done to released salmon, whether hatchery or wild, legal or sub-legal size? Why do you fail to acknowledge the most appropriate analyses of the day which indicate the survival of released fish has been dangerously overestimated in all management planning to date? By the way, I don’t support a marked selective fishery that disproportionately favours overcapitalized guides who just haven’t been paying attention to conservation issues over the past decade. Perhaps you can explain to Ms. Thorkelson and her union what difference there is between an unlimited fleet of offshore boats fishing the same waters commercial trollers are now essentially banned from. If you’re a chinook out there on the Big Bank or “the highway” what difference is there between a licensed commercial troller harvesting and selling you and a guiding operation selling you? You do appreciate guides are effectively commercial fishermen don’t you? They wouldn’t be on the water if they couldn’t harvest anything would they? Web sites and promotional material replete with photos of patrons with dead things is evidence enough is it not? Maybe I can accept that the public fishery only harvests 10% of all salmon but isn’t it disingenuous again to say “all salmon” knowing that includes the traditional net species (sockeye, pink and chum) that the recreational fishery has no measurable impact on? How about sharing the recreational fishery catch of chinook salmon with the catches by the other two sectors so all of us have a better picture of reality? And about those “millions” of chinook being gobbled by marine mammals. Can you share with us the data in support of that allegation, what recommendations you have to implement area and time specific harvest and what chinook production increment you would predict?

Then there’s the Union of BC Indian Chiefs Facebook post illustrating their view of the same sorts of issues. Have a look:

(3) UBCIC – Posts

Holy cow now fishing guides are target today. Kind of disappointing attack on SFI publicly, as well as the SFAB attacks. Oh well what else is new.:rolleyes:

The government must just love having river anglers and marine anglers fight each other now. Just another division to make us weaker. I never thought I would see the day when river anglers would side the NGO's paper on mortality rates for fishing. Especially when steelhead fishing is catch and release?

Has anyone noticed something? Look back 10 years ago. There were really only three groups: FN, Commercial, and Recreational. The NGO groups were mostly engaged in salmon enhancement. Even Watershed who this author now aligns his views had a totally different direction back then.

What do we have now? River anglers,Marine anglers, NGO's and pretty much different types of First nations. All with fingers pointed fighting each other. The attack on our public salt water fishery is endless, and I really think we as anglers/enhancement volunteers are getting fed up. Even more frustrating is division making it easy for DFO to get it's way with us.

This point fingers is getting old, and it is going to bite ALL anglers in the butt. DFO is the problem from years of mismanagement, and we should all be working together/ not dividing. I am kind of disappointed to see this honestly.

Last edited:
Holy cow now fishing guides are target today. Kind of disappointing attack on SFI publicly, as well as the SFAB attacks. Oh well what else is new.:rolleyes:

The government must just love having river anglers and marine anglers fight each other now. Just another division to make us weaker. I never thought I would see the day when river anglers would side the NGO's paper on mortality rates for fishing. Especially when steelhead fishing is catch and release?

Has anyone noticed something? Look back 10 years ago. There were really only three groups: FN, Commercial, and Recreational. The NGO groups were mostly engaged in salmon enhancement. Even Watershed who this author now aligns his views had a totally different direction back then.

What do we have now? River anglers,Marine anglers, NGO's and pretty much different types of First nations. All with fingers pointed fighting each other. The attack on our public salt water fishery is endless, and I really think we as anglers/enhancement volunteers are getting fed up. Even more frustrating is division making it easy for DFO to get it's way with us.

This point fingers is getting old, and it is going to bite ALL anglers in the butt. DFO is the problem from years of mismanagement, and we should all be working together/ not dividing. I am kind of disappointed to see this honestly.

Bob's crawled in bed with Raincoast Conservation Foundation, David Suzuki Foundation and Watershed Watch!:eek:

Somehow this got missed.
Everyone got slammed.

(3) UBCIC – Posts

For good measure, here’s a few quotable quotes from that one:

• The incremental, cumulative impacts of sport fishing put the conservation of salmon stocks at risk and inhibit access to the salmon necessary for rights-fulfillment.
  • By Resolution 2019-48, the UBCIC Chiefs-in-Assembly call upon the Governments of Canada and British Columbia to end the needless suffering of fish caused by catch-and-release practices.
  • First Nations’ fishing practices are heavily monitored, with fish closely counted. First Nations’ relationships to the fish are holistic……..For these relationships to be constrained by overly-stringent monitoring constitutes an abuse of Indigenous rights. Additionally, when monitoring continuously targets Indigenous people in BC without similar attention to sport fishers, it indicates racial profiling could be occurring at the enforcement level.
  • First Nations, Canada, BC, partner Indigenous organizations, and sport fishing associations will need to work together to reform and implement updated regulations.
  • With interest in protecting the wellbeing of all fish, and a need to conserve and support salmon populations in particular, catch-and-release is contrary to the physical and cultural health of First Nations. Indigenous rights cannot be secondary to sport in BC.

Dear UBCIC, here’s some questions to you:

If First Nations fishing practices are heavily monitored and fish are closely counted can you please explain to all of us why there was such a major discrepancy between the chinook population passing the DFO test fishery on the Fraser River at Albion and the estimated escapements in well monitored areas upstream when the only fishing in between was being conducted by FNs? Can you please share with us the results of all that heavy monitoring by DFO’s sole sourced lower Fraser FN contractor who is reported to have employed 70 FN monitors to record all fish of all species caught, whether kept or released? I’ve asked DFO for those results several times now and never received even an acknowledgement of my inquiry. How does the system DFO and its FN contractor had in place on the lower Fraser stand up against your allegations of targeting Indigenous people, abuse of Indigenous rights and racial profiling? Apart from the Fraser, have you ever familiarized yourself with the First Nations fisheries on the Skeena? Allow me to inform you there is virtually no monitoring. With respect to the last two bullets immediately above, do they not strike you as mutually exclusive, especially when you repeatedly condemn recreational fishers for their fishing practices and their impact on your rights?

All things considered we have another classic example of everyone wanting to go to heaven when no one wants to die. I do not envy our elected officials who are compelled to address their promises of reconciliation and implementation of the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous People, both of which are constantly moving targets. Conservation is already lost in all of this in spite of all the policies and claims it is above all else.

No, the NGO’s were not on side 10 years ago and the FN’s always wanted us off the water especially on the Fraser.
Guess you did not know about the court case to get us off the Fraser?
They always attacked us on catch and release.
The Green NGO’s were never our friends, they always were about MONEY!
They have not changed.
The difference is they do not care, they have no scruples .
Their way or the highway and unlike the sports fishers they will do what ever it takes and breaking the law or not telling the truth is never a concern.

Some here might not like Bob Hooton but no one can deny he cares for the fish, first. I'm with him on this in that sporties have a far larger impact on salmon than they care to admit.

I have never seen a difference between a commercial troller and a guide commercially trolling for sportfish. The fish bites the hook, is landed and killed. Guiding is a moneymaking, fish killing venture, just like commercial trolling.

When it comes to steelhead, saltwater guiding and commercial trolling have zero impact on steelhead populations, which leaves me somewhat perplexed by this latest post?

Last edited:
I find the C&R debate much like many topics to do with fish (e.g. the hatchery debate) - emotional, elevated & polarizing with strong opinions on each side of that debate. And I find myself - much like the hatchery debate - somewhere in the middle of that spectrum.

I agree with C&R where it addresses a bona fide conservation concern. Examples include releasing female crabs, gravid female rockfish and other "at risk" species or life history stages that stand a good chance of surviving when one is NOT focusing on catching them.

I think that is the sticky point that I understand from many FNs - that unnecessary zeroing-in on "at risk" species that can and does cause unnecessary stress and mortality on "at risk" species.

In addition, seals are an issue in many places and are smart enough to take advantage of fishing techniques - including releasing sports-caught fish - as well as other fisheries including the herring net fishery and commercial salmon gillnetting & seine as well.

So - I can see some points that need addressing. I think other posters on this forum see that as well.

Last edited:
The constant bickering about who is destroying the wild stocks is going nowhere ...
The point is that "EVERYONE" who fishes (including farms) has an impact on fish stocks .. The finger is pointed clearly at Government to solve this problem.. So they either go "ALL IN" make everyone mad, forget about election results and fix the damned problem, or we all suffer a slow and painful death --
Personally, they can close ALL fisheries for 5-10 years, stop giving grants to big business ( ie bombadier, automobiles, oil ) and pay those affected by closures to clean up the environment (catch poachers, plant trees, educate the public.. whatever)
Maybe a huge organized protest against government for their inaction

Just a bunch of finger pointing - where are the practical science based solutions? I don't need someone to predict rain when it's raining...that is all this is. Lashing out at people is just a form of bullying and is patently unproductive. Ignore

Just a bunch of finger pointing - where are the practical science based solutions? I don't need someone to predict rain when it's raining...that is all this is. Lashing out at people is just a form of bullying and is patently unproductive. Ignore

Thanks Searun we have to go by real science, and not just mathematical statistics that are based on theory. It seems that people want to keep challenging studies that were done years ago to push the agenda. Now the paper isn't accepted lets' convert the allies we have, and if all fails social media and forum comments ramp up. I don't understand why all the groups aren't recognizing we could all get what we want if we work together.

So until then we will all just endure the daily attack, and finger pointing.

The sportie, FN and Commercial beatings will continue until morale improves. There is no doubt human activity is taking a toll on the ecosystem - pointing fingers at one another isn't going to solve anything. Real thoughtful solutions from all sectors might help, but perhaps it is already too late given the speed of climate change. Forget fishing, put a smile on your face and take up skiing - oh wait, climate change is taking away the snow pack, you skier folks need to stop abusing the snow - catch and release snow carving during your ski turns is harming the little snow flakes. Crazy times.

Back