Three-million-pounds-of-flash-frozen-delicious-prawns-sittin in freezers

French Creek Seafoods now 70% owned by Shanghai Kaichuang Deep Sea Fisheries Co., Ltd.

Covid hit, the commercial prawn season started and markets were closed or struggling to adapt. Prawn prices crashed. Those prawns are money in the bank waiting for prices to crawl back. This happens in seafood markets regularly although covid is a different situation the effects are the same. Its a massive market interruption that many portions of the sea food market is struggling with. The freezer companies are killing it and have likely run out of space.

On Vancouver Island would it be fair to say that most of the forest industry is owned by offshore interests that have locked gates that keep us from accessing our own land.
Would you sell your house to a guy down the street for a 20% discount or hold out and sell for full price to a guy from Toronto?
Are you going to charter a local at 50% off or charge some yanks full pull.
This is the way business is done, get the most $$$ you can at all times, maximum profit and all that jazz.
This is a nothing burger, you guys just want more prawns for your freezer.

On Vancouver Island would it be fair to say that most of the forest industry is owned by offshore interests that have locked gates that keep us from accessing our own land.
Would you sell your house to a guy down the street for a 20% discount or hold out and sell for full price to a guy from Toronto?
Are you going to charter a local at 50% off or charge some yanks full pull.
This is the way business is done, get the most $$$ you can at all times, maximum profit and all that jazz.
This is a nothing burger, you guys just want more prawns for your freezer.
I doubt the market these prawns were caught for really want anything that’s been sitting for a long time in a freezer. Potentially a year and probably at least another one coming up. It’s very likely this season coming up will be the same, I don’t see Covid going away, so you’ll have year old frozen competing with fresh or recently frozen in a limited market. Using your analogy of the house, if there were 10 empty houses on the market, slowly deteriorating and only one potential buyer, do you think the price wouldn’t drop?
Hope the fisherman got paid already because I think the price will crater and I hate to see anyone go broke.

Back