Thousands of 10-pound Atlantic salmon, catch as many as you want!

If a company in canada must retire a 20 year old fish farm .Why would a canadian farm chain buy a american outlet that is 30 years old?

Fish meal
Again could you explain your post? The one were you say the fish farm industry hired a PR company and so forth. Was it to take only good photos or something. The picture I refer to are out in public taken my fisherman. That's what I'm talking about, not quite sure what your implying.

Last edited:
Another image from a truly random selection of the fish in question. Its not the story trying to be told by activists.
cpt116422310-jpg.jpg

Federal Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc said restoring Fraser River sockeye salmon runs is a top priority and called the delay in action “unacceptable.”

So where is the plan?

Last edited:
Something fishy about B.C. political contributions?
https://dogwoodbc.ca/something-fishy/

Be interesting to see the fish farm supporters on this forum justify how the salmon feedlot industry pays off the politicians to support their unsustainable, environmentally harmful industry that has also been subsidized over the years by our tax payers money?

Guest writer Stan Proboszcz is the Science and Campaign Advisor for Watershed Watch

Although some salmon farming companies may try to portray themselves as a marine version of American Gothic, let’s get real. B.C. salmon farming is a huge, mechanized and mostly foreign-owned industry. On the surface, a fish farm may look rustic and innocuous, with floating buildings and docks. But underwater the true scale and controversy of this industry becomes apparent: disease and parasite outbreaks, dead whales and sea lions, and all that poo.

How much poo? To get an idea, a typical farm can hold 2,400 tonnes of salmon. That’s equivalent to the mass of 480 adult elephants! And B.C. has more than 120 licensed marine farm sites. So yeah, a lot of poo. Now think about all of the plumes of parasites, viruses and diseases this industry spews right on the migratory paths of our native wild salmon stocks.

Sound like hyperbole? You be the judge. Reams of science published in some of the world’s top journals highlight the industry’s threat to wild stocks from sea lice parasites. On the disease front, a $37 million taxpayer-funded federal investigation — the Cohen Inquiry — concluded: “Potential harm posed to Fraser River sockeye from salmon farms is serious or irreversible.” Diseases from salmon farms can spread to wild salmon.

Conflict of Interest?

Just two weeks ago a new scientific paper was published that shows this risk to wild fish is even greater. It reported that a virus commonly found in farm fish is linked to a disease (Heart and Skeletal Muscle Inflammation) that typically impairs salmon hearts.

And, just a few days ago, a salmon farm reportedly spilled approximately 1,000 litres of diesel in a beautiful part of our coast, right before juvenile pink and chum salmon begin to migrate by.

This begs the question: how can the federal agency responsible for regulating this industry — the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) — allow salmon farms to exist on wild salmon migration routes when DFO is supposed to conserve and protect wild fish? Answer: Because DFO and the salmon farming industry are in bed together.

Both the federal Cohen Inquiry and an expert panel appointed by the Royal Society of Canada came to similar conclusions — that DFO may have a conflict of interest problem with the industry in relation to its constitutional mandate to conserve wild fish.

With this disease information now published, it’s more important than ever to defend B.C.’s wild salmon and remove the farms.

The Province’s Role

British Columbia has a hand in facilitating this industry too. Although the federal government regulates the industry and grants them operating licences, the provincial government is responsible for renewing tenures for each farm site.

This could explain the provincial political contribution graph below that shows at minimum, a total of $74,835 was donated to the BC Liberals ($59,360) and NDP ($15,475), complements of industry.
upload_2017-8-29_11-42-44.png

It appears contributions from industry players jumped after the announcement of the Cohen Inquiry in late 2009. Perhaps it’s because the Inquiry didn’t shy from uncomfortable truths about the industry.

As a participant in the Inquiry, I recall provincial lawyers frequently siding with the farming industry on motions and lines of questioning. The province also argued (unsuccessfully) to refrain from releasing fish farm disease data. Were industry contributions during this time meant to nudge the province to remember, “Who’s your daddy?”

As an example of provincial cheerleading — fish health staff have maintained for years that no evidence of Heart and Skeletal Muscle Inflammation disease existed in B.C., despite rigorous examinations. Now that we have published evidence, one must ask: how hard were they looking for this disease in farm fish?

Also of note, industry contributed almost $30,000 in 2015 alone, all to the BC Liberals. Backstory: Around this time the industry was pushing federally for an expansion in B.C. Behind the scenes, I heard the feds were OK to approve expansion licences, but some high profile B.C. business leaders who care about wild salmon were pressing the provincial Liberals to hold off on approving the new tenures. Could this be why all that money came in around 2015 from the BC Salmon Farmers Association? Then, in July 2015, the province appeared to do its best to appease both parties. They approved a few tenures for industry, but stopped there and set-up a committee to “study” the situation, perhaps to placate the pro-wild salmon business owners.

Even more interesting are the shenanigans recently reported by the Globe and Mail about the BC Salmon Farmers Association (BCSFA). According to the article it’s illegal to, “make a political contribution and then be reimbursed by an organization or individual.” The B.C. law is, “trying to guard against potential corruption or the appearance of corruption.”

The story also reported that a lobbyist sometimes buys fundraiser tickets for the BCSFA’s members, then the association pays him back. Remember, fundraiser tickets can be $5000 a pop. Isn’t this concealing who the real donor is — the BC Salmon Farmers Association? Is this legal?

Ban Big Money and Safe Passage for Wild Salmon

And this is how two different campaigns can mesh well together to defend wild salmon. Banning Big Money provincially could give the province less of a reason to issue tenures to salmon farms. And through our Safe Passage campaign we can pressure the federal fisheries minister to remove salmon farms from wild salmon migration routes.

So if you haven’t already, stand up for B.C.’s wild salmon twice! Ban Big Money and demand Safe Passage for B.C.’s amazing wild salmon!

The fish caught in this video look pretty nice to me:

If I was fishing them I would tie a deer hair pellet about 8 mm in length and 5 mm in circumference and make it weighted. I would fish it on a float and then I would find gravel about the same size and chuck hand fulls of it to make that feed hitting the water sound. Those fish would come in on that hard.

The fish caught in this video look pretty nice to me:

If I was fishing them I would tie a deer hair pellet about 8 mm in length and 5 mm in circumference and make it weighted. I would fish it on a float and then I would find gravel about the same size and chuck hand fulls of it to make that feed hitting the water sound. Those fish would come in on that hard.

If one likes to eat fish that are feed antibiotics to reduce diseases, steroids to bulk them up, meat byproducts (i.e mystery industrial meat that is cheap protein), genetically modified grains, coloring to color their pale flesh more red, treated with pesticides to reduce sea lice. etc. If more of the general public really knew what farmed salmon were fed and exposed to while in the net feedlots their sales would go way down. Yuck no thanks. Maybe they are good for fertilizer - not eating!

If one likes to eat fish that are feed antibiotics to reduce diseases, steroids to bulk them up, meat byproducts (i.e mystery industrial meat that is cheap protein), genetically modified grains, coloring to color their pale flesh more red, treated with pesticides to reduce sea lice. etc. If more of the general public really knew what farmed salmon were fed and exposed to their sales would go way down. Yuck no thanks. Maybe they are good for fertilizer - not eating!
Sounds like the beef industry......

Yes, the industrial factory beef industry that is.

The general public over time are becoming more wise about what they ear that is why the smaller, local and organic meat suppliers are a fast growing market segment.

Last edited:
One of things that is never talked about (I want this to be an open discussion BTW. Getting tired of these subjects getting shutdown.) is the fact with feed we are taking food out of ecosystem to feed another. All we are really are doing is shifting food from one to another. Despite all the farm being in the ocean etc. it still is an ongoing problem. Are we in fact stressing the ecosystem out by supporting these farms. I hear these comparisons to beef etc. But what do beef eat? They eat FARMED products to grow and not wild.

The farmed fish dont eat farmed food they eat a blend and that also involved wild bait fish that wild fish in our environment need to survive. That is why the farms never made any sense to me. I think they stress out the ecosystem and aren't sustainable based on that fact.

This would still be a challenge if the farm was on land. Sorry this is something that gets missed in a lot of conversations.

I am derailing it a bit but in good way.

The free range cattle industry right here in BC eats and competes with wild game on fragile grass land eco systems. There not fed farmed foods, they eat wild grass which ungulates require especially on there winter range. Some of the largest free range cattle farms in north America are right here in BC only a 3-4 hour drive. I just point this out as all protein producers have issues and fish aren't the only ones........

If one likes to eat fish that are feed antibiotics to reduce diseases, steroids to bulk them up, meat byproducts (i.e mystery industrial meat that is cheap protein), genetically modified grains, coloring to color their pale flesh more red, treated with pesticides to reduce sea lice. etc. If more of the general public really knew what farmed salmon were fed and exposed to while in the net feedlots their sales would go way down. Yuck no thanks. Maybe they are good for fertilizer - not eating!
Steroids. You can't back that up and no-one her can for you.
Die: you can call it what you want but it is not die. Try again.

Spring volicity, If you want an honest dialog here a few thing have to happen. Individuals who have no clue what they are talking about have to own it. Until we get the usual suspects here to stop using these threads as sound off boards to address the issue as a whole instead of sticking to the topic then it won't happen because the same untruths always arise.
What we see on this forum is exactly what we are seeing out in the real world. There was this massive escape(an event) and its all hands on deck for activist for their cause now that they have a little media attention. Some one post a salmon farming topic and it always triggers an all out assault on salmon farming as a whole and it usually is a lot like the post I quoted above. Repeat repeat repeat. Thankfully people are questioning their media sources a hell of alot more these days and the same could be said for the info supplied on this forum.

WITW, you may as well just copy and past this post and use it every time you feel like your adding something because no matter how you say it its the exact same thing pretty much every time. Over and over and over and and over over and over and and over... It adds little to the discussion.

Federal Fisheries Minister Dominic LeBlanc said restoring Fraser River sockeye salmon runs is a top priority and called the delay in action “unacceptable.”

So where is the plan?

Isn't it obvious? The plan is to drag our feet and put as many obstacles in the way as possible. The sooner the salmon gone the better for our govt. After that it'll be the killer whales.

Last edited:
Back