Thousands of 10-pound Atlantic salmon, catch as many as you want!

Across the Pacific Rim, the number of hatchery-raised salmon released into the Pacific has risen since 1970 from 500 million to more than 5 billion fish. Most of these hatchery-released fish are chum and pink salmon from Hokkaido, Japan; Southeast Alaska; and Sakhalin Island, Russia. Among other threats, they can spread disease into the wild salmon population.

So, where is the science that says this is not the problem?

Yup. More nails in the coffin for net pen fish farms - just a matter of time before we get them out of the water. Concerned citizens need to work to keep the pressure on the politicians to make sure this happens as soon as possible!

Today I caught a 11# atlantic salmon , DSCF2433.JPGfish faught very well with many cartwheels.Fish fillets are on ice and I will eat this fish as i know i already put the love into getting this far.Candied light smoke jarred in 50ml of oliveoil,maple surup,honey garlic ,pepper.going to be good .nothing in the stomach .Is it possible, i did see both organs of male female.DSCF2433.JPGfell for a small pink handlebar float line.I will think for a long time about if I ever want to see another one.

Sept. 12 2017 : 2 P. S. C. gillnet test sets noted that 5 Atlantic salmon were caught near Fort Langley B. C. on this date and only 1 Sockeye

Sept.12 2017: D. F. O. Albion test Chinook gillnet does not list Atlantic Salmon caught , but the mesh size would easily catch large Escaped Atlantic Salmon . Why Is D. F. O. possibly not reporting Atlantic Salmon caught in the Albion Chinook Test Fishing when 5 Atlantic Salmon were caught by P. S. C. test fishing

Sept. 12 2017 : 2 P. S. C. gillnet test sets noted that 5 Atlantic salmon were caught near Fort Langley B. C. on this date and only 1 Sockeye

Sept.12 2017: D. F. O. Albion test Chinook gillnet does not list Atlantic Salmon caught , but the mesh size would easily catch large Escaped Atlantic Salmon . Why Is D. F. O. possibly not reporting Atlantic Salmon caught in the Albion Chinook Test Fishing when 5 Atlantic Salmon were caught by P. S. C. test fishing

The PSC test fisheries have methods (i.e. soak times, sets, duration during the year, depths, tides, etc.) and net mesh size designed to target Sockeye. Meanwhile, Albion, which will have incidental catches of Sockeye, Pink and Coho has mesh size designed to catch Chinook and Chum, but here's the thing. From September 1st to October 20th, the Chinook test fishery (using the standard 8 inch mesh net) fishes alternates days with the Chum test fishery (uses a 6.75 inch mesh net). According to the Chum daily test fishery data (also available online) the fishery was no operating on September 12th. The department is probably not reporting any from Albion because there wasn't any Atlantic Salmon reported in the catch. It's entirely possible that these Atlantic salmon were not as vulnerable to capture in the 8 inch mesh net used for the Chinook test fishery as they were in the PSC test fishery. You also have to consider how many of those Atlantics are around compared to the other species around and how many encounters you are going to actually observe in the test fisheries. There is a phone number to contact in regards to the Albion test fishery for more information provided in the link for the Chinook or Chum test fishery.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/index-eng.html

IMG_0763.JPGWhat is this? Since the eclipse we now have wild Atlantic? Or is this false advertising? I am going to ask them.. take a look out back for the grieg boxes.

Pink salmon caught in N.L. likely from Russian stocking program
Pink salmon, native to Pacific areas, caught in Cartwright and Gander River recently
Geoff Bartlett · CBC News · 6 hours ago
pink-salmon-gander-river.png

Two recent cases of pink salmon being found in Newfoundland and Labrador rivers are most likely the result of a stocking program — just not one on this continent.

Instead, the pink salmon likely came across the Atlantic from Russia, according to Steve Sutton of the Atlantic Salmon Federation (ASF).

CBC was sent a photo of a pink salmon that was caught in the Gander River last week, and Sutton says another was caught two weeks earlier in Cartwright, Labrador.

Pink salmon are native to regions around the Pacific Ocean and are rarely seen in this part of the world. They are distinguishable from Atlantic salmon because of their greenish colour and the fact that adult males have a large hump on their bodies not seen with their Atlantic cousins.

There are clear physical differences between Atlantic salmon (top) and pink salmon (bottom). Adult pink salmon have a greenish colour and males have the distinguishable hump on their backs. (US Fish and Wildlife)
Sutton told CBC that there was an attempt to introduce pink salmon in the province back in the 1960s in North Harbour River in St. Mary's Bay. The fish didn't really take and none were ever reported being caught after the program was terminated more than 40 years ago, so he doesn't think these salmon are connected to that.

The more likely origin of the fish? The Russians.

"There was also a stocking program to transplant these pink salmon into some rivers in northern Russia starting in the late 1950s and running right through until about 2001," Sutton said. "The fish there apparently did take and this year we understand there's been an explosion of them."

Steve Sutton is with the Atlantic Salmon Federation, and says reports of pink salmon in Newfoundland and Labrador rivers is not reason to panic. (Mark Quinn/CBC)
Pink salmon from Russia have been reported in Scotland, Ireland and other parts of Europe over the last year or so, Sutton said, and have raised concerns that they could become established and displace other fish species.

He said it's very possible that some have swam across the Atlantic and into Newfoundland and Labrador waters.

"They are a migratory species, and when they get into the Pacific Ocean they migrate," he said. "So when they're in the Atlantic they're not sure where they're going so they're getting out there and swimming."

Not time to panic
Sutton said while groups like ASF and Fisheries and Oceans Canada are closely watching the situation, there isn't too much concern right now that pink salmon will disrupt the ecosystem around Newfoundland and Labrador because of the different conditions that Pacific Salmon and Atlantic Salmon require.

He asks anyone who sees a pink salmon to report it to DFO so that researchers can keep track of what's going on.

"I don't think we should panic, this is the first time we've seen them in a long time," he said. "We have tried to introduce them into Newfoundland before and it didn't work."

View attachment 35430What is this? Since the eclipse we now have wild Atlantic? Or is this false advertising? I am going to ask them.. take a look out back for the grieg boxes.

Since wild atlantics are in pretty low numbers these days and subject to all sorts of fishing restrictions I would say that this is most likely false advertising. Unfortunately it happens far too often.

I was in a famous sushi restaurant in Nanaimo a few years back, where they served my obvious farmed fish and said it was "wild, fresh sockeye" (in Feb.)! I told them to take it back and I would not pay. :mad:

As a the number of consumers become more aware of the negative impact of farmed salmon have on the environment and how they are not that safe to eat, more sellers and restaurants will lie to people about what kind of salmon they are buying and eating.

Last edited:
could someone explain why you cannot call a farmed fish wild? i'm confused, a hatchery raises fish under aquaculture practices (both feds and private). then releases them. even clip them to show there hatchery. a commercial seiner catches them and brings them to market and there labeled Wild.
a fish farm takes the same stock and raises them and takes them to market and now your saying they have to be called farmed.
if alaska ranches 20 million fish and nets the river, why are they allowed to call them wild?

if there being hatched in a hatchery and commercially harvested why not all marketed the same? its just free ranged vs penned.
you go to the grocery store and look over the beef selection and they do not differ.....the label does not say free ranged beef or farmed beef it just says beef.

puzzling

could someone explain why you cannot call a farmed fish wild? i'm confused, a hatchery raises fish under aquaculture practices (both feds and private). then releases them. even clip them to show there hatchery. a commercial seiner catches them and brings them to market and there labeled Wild.
a fish farm takes the same stock and raises them and takes them to market and now your saying they have to be called farmed.
if alaska ranches 20 million fish and nets the river, why are they allowed to call them wild?

if there being hatched in a hatchery and commercially harvested why not all marketed the same? its just free ranged vs penned.
you go to the grocery store and look over the beef selection and they do not differ.....the label does not say free ranged beef or farmed beef it just says beef.

puzzling

you answered your own questions.
a farmed fish is not wild in any way at all, how could it be wild in any form?
a ranch fish or hatchery, yes raised in a hatchery environment, but go out to the "WILD" to free forage and the week or stunted ones become food for the "WILD".
farmed fish are raised on what ? a FARM.

i think i can buy labelled beef called free range, or i can buy it from RANCHERS that let there cattle free range.

puzzling you would ask such easy questions.

Back