Thoughts????

Jencourt

Lacking defensible data for sure.
That said this is out there . I chose not to put on existing thread as it was asked that we stick to data and science not opinion.

Last edited:
Trites has an interesting take on it, Says that herring are a keystone species, That as long as the herring are around that everything above them will do okay. So why risk harvesting them? Put those herring in the bank and let them pay dividends for everything else.

Last edited:
No surprise here that DFO turns a blind eye on the raping of our fishery.
Cash is king.
GDP is king.
Who cares about sustainability apparently not tge leaders of management of our coastline.
How PATHETIC. !!!!
Shame on those big decision makers past and present that continue to MANAGE TO ZERO !
Hats off to you scum while you collect your pension.

It is short term profits that will cause long term negative environmental impacts that seriously threaten wild salmon and orca populations to name a few. It must stop! We the people need to make this a political issue to stop DFO allowing this destruction of the marine environment.

Although aware of the current allowable exploitation level and the amount that has shrunk from” back in the day”, I have never liked this fishery based on what is gained /what is lost.

For me What bugged me was wen it was recognized that the appetite for roe was shrinking they looked for new markets.

Ie: Europe then they just transferred quota from roe fisheries to food and bait in the fall/early winter.

I saw an oportunity to reduce harvest levels. They did not.

All easy for me to say I suppose. There is another argument to this but I can not accept it as reason enough.

That said I still use herring for Halibut bait. Hypocrisy???

Value dropper from $5,000/ton to $300/ton. Any idea why? Is this b/c of the over supply and market saturation?

Value dropper from $5,000/ton to $300/ton. Any idea why? Is this b/c of the over supply and market saturation?

Barry McMillan, president of J.S. McMillan Fisheries Ltd., recalls fishermen receiving a high of about $5,000 a tonne during the heyday of the fishery, but today must settle for closer to $150 to $600 depending on the roe. (Payments of $1,000 to $2,000 a tonne used to be more common.)

The economy eventually slowed in Japan and roe herring changed from a high-end annual corporate gift to a product sold in supermarkets.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local...roe-herring-fishery-carries-risks-and-rewards

It's a good read done by LARRY PYNN to bad he's retired now probably one of the most knowledgeable environmental reporters in BC.

If herring is a keystone species then what does that make the plankton that herring feed on. I say it's more important because without it there is no herring.
If anything a variety of forage species are keystone food web critters like sandlance, oolichan, opal squid, dungeness crab, herring, juvenile rockfish...ect. I fished my whole life for Salmon and herring are far from the only food found in their guts. They will eat what is available. In some instances they eat pellets their whole life. I even seen a picture of a fillet knife one had swallowed!

All roe fisheries should be stopped...we are wiping out the hardest fighting steelhead just for a overseas net fishery.
The more bait fish around the better, end of story!
I guess if that’s what you believe then All sports fishing should be stopped(especially catch and release) as it is the biggest user of Chinook.

I guess if that’s what you believe then All sports fishing should be stopped(especially catch and release) as it is the biggest user of Chinook.

Their is lots of recreational fishermen that want salmon fishing closed coast wide, if it is closed for everyone. I’ve seen an idea where you close it down every 5th year and over 20 years each cycle gets a year rest

Last edited:
Back