Thoughts on re-powering an 182 Malibu?

Trowser

Looking like we will have to re-power our 2003 182 Malibu. Currently has a 2004 115 Mercury 4 stroke on it. The 115 is fine with 2 guys and all the gear but anymore it can struggle. Thinking a 150 would be a better size (max for the boat is a 175).

Seems everyone has their opinion on what brand is best but I'm open to all. Let's hear it!

Cheers

If you are moving up to a 150 you might as well get a 175 same block and weight but you get the extra ponies

I repowered my Livingston Viking 192 this spring. After much study, I chose the Suzuki DF140A.
There were quite a few reasons I chose this engine, but the two main ones were reliability reports & weight.
The 140 Suzuki is basically the same as the 90 hp. I think the 140 is 14 lb heavier.
Any of the 150s on the market are significantly heavier. And a bunch more expensive.
The factory specs on the 192 Viking list the hull weight at just under 2,000 lbs. Add the main outboard, 2 batteries, 65 US gallons of fuel & a 9.9 Yamaha kicker & it makes for a fairly heavy boat for its size.
The hole shot performance is not quite as good as the old 125 Merc 2 stroke, but it's pretty good. About 5 seconds with 2 big guys, full fuel, lunch, ice & gear.
I still need to play with prop pitch, but with the factory prop I get 5800 RPM at WOT. (Max is 6200)
At 4500 RPM I get an easy 25 MPH. Around 38 MPH at 5800, trimmed right out on flat water.
So far I really like this outboard. I have about 55 hours on it to date.
Number 2 on my list was the 135 HO E-tec. The main reason I didn't pick it is because it is much more complicated & the reliability reports I read weren't as good as the Suzuki. I expect the overall performance would be better with the E-tec.
So... Take all this as you like. Just my limited experience. 2 cents worth of free advice. Hope it is helpful.
Have fun with your repower!

I recently re-powered with a Suzuki 140. Price, reliability and warranty. There is 10 less HP but it was $3 to $5k less than a Honda, Merc, Etec or Yamaha 150.

I recently re-powered with a Suzuki 140. Price, reliability and warranty. There is 10 less HP but it was $3 to $5k less than a Honda, Merc, Etec or Yamaha 150.
The 140 Suzuki will perform the same as another brand 150. They weigh less which makes up the difference and the out of the box warranty is pretty good.

Looking like we will have to re-power our 2003 182 Malibu. Currently has a 2004 115 Mercury 4 stroke on it. The 115 is fine with 2 guys and all the gear but anymore it can struggle. Thinking a 150 would be a better size (max for the boat is a 175).

Seems everyone has their opinion on what brand is best but I'm open to all. Let's hear it!

Cheers
My friend has a 182 Malibu like you and has it powered with a Yamaha 150 (previously powered with a 115). The 115 was underpowered slightly but the new 150 seems just about right to me. I'm sure 130 to 140 hp. would also be adequate.

...Rob

I would have preferred a Zuke 140 for my podded 185, but was shopping the used market. The 150 Verado i found has more than enough juice for the boat, but its heavy. If i was shopping new it would have been the 140 for the lighter weight and probably better fuel economy.

We had a 135 mercury optimax in our previous podded Malibu 185. Power to weight ratio was great on the 2 stroke but because of the intake design of these engines, we had to replace 2 alternators when ever a a large wave came over the back if the engine. I'd personally go with a 4-stroke 150 Yamaha or Suzuki.

Same as Prfisher said we pretty much have the same setup and 140 suzuki has been awesome. When i was pricing motors there was a big difference in price between 140 and 150 and all other brand were 2-3k more. Service seems to be a big deal these days when buying a motor so just my 2 cents. Good luck with your choice.

When I was looking to repower my Double Eagle 18.5 I was looking for a used 4 stroke Suzuki 140 or a Yamaha 150. I ended up with a 2004 Yamaha F150 which is heavier but is a stronger motor with more displacement. Apparently the Yamaha 150 is more like a 165 hp while the Suzuki is a tuned 115.

With the Yamaha 150 I have had no trouble planing with a load. I had 5 adults and 4 teenagers on it for a ride this summer and no trouble at all.

Last edited:
The 140 Suzuki will perform the same as another brand 150. They weigh less which makes up the difference and the out of the box warranty is pretty good.
Nope,not a chance,150 Yamaha,E-tec,Mercury will have better performance.Some are heavier,but the bigger displacement still overpowers the Suzuki.They are still good motors though considering price and warranty and time tested to be reliable.As "jasonj" said the 150 Yam is ideal for that boat.

Last edited:
I have a 2001 Malibu 182 hard top. Just repowered from a 2001 115 Honda to a new G1 150HO etec. HUGE improvement. Those boats are butt heavy and going with the etec and only 1 battery changed the boat for the better.

Back