Thoughts on Bringing a Newborn Out

Rain City

Crew Member
The wife and I were discussing taking the baby out before it gets too cold. Obviously we'd have a lifejacket for her but, worst case Ontario, if she did end up in the water somehow is the PFD moot? Hate to think about it but new parent anxiety is REAL.

This is her :)

Resized_20180909_182715_8590.jpeg

Your the father, you know the risks and whether it’s worth it or not.

Not much difference between a new born and a toddler if you ask me.

When I have little ones on board, I slow down and take extra precautions. Prob more dangerous driving around Vancouver.

Your the father, you know the risks and whether it’s worth it or not.

Not much difference between a new born and a toddler if you ask me.

When I have little ones on board, I slow down and take extra precautions. Prob more dangerous driving around Vancouver.
It's the mother that needs convincing lol. To me it's no different than walking around downtown, probably less risk in fact. I would just love to have that memory of her and her first boat ride. Plus I'm convinced the more exposure she gets to the rocking the better she'll do with sea sickness.

Well, I don’t know if it’s your first or not, but if mom has safety on her mind, your best just to go with it because your trying to reason with biology.

And keep in mind, the baby will have zero clue/memories of going out.

And keep in mind, the baby will have zero clue/memories of going out.
For sure. This is way more about getting mom and I over the nerves before baby is more active and troublesome.

All my kids were in the boat as babies. My wife's issues were about life jackets, at the time there was no approved life jacket for under 20lbs. I was able to ease her mind when I found a baby life jacket, we floated our daughter in the bath tub.
It was great, we went crabing the next day.

I've got this one https://www.westcoastkids.ca/bijoux...IoqaXu8uv3QIVCtVkCh0vTwdXEAQYBCABEgLJbvD_BwE#
It's not approved, I think it was about $50. But it made my wife happy.
For the boat cops I would bring an extra approved infant life jacket.

Bring a car seat ,and support the neck of child , you don't need development of child held back deu to shaken babbie syndrom.

With a low body weight doubt your child would last long in the cold water.
This was more to what I was asking about. Are people being naive to think a lifejacket would help at all with even a few second soak in the ocean?

Bring a car seat ,and support the neck of child , you don't need development of child held back deu to shaken babbie syndrom.
Our initial thoughts were just a putt around false creek. Doubt I'd try and get it on step. But then what would be a safer age in that regard?

Welcome to the other side of boating/fishing!

As mentioned above, take the carseat 'bucket' out with you.
From what I remember, there are no certified lifejackets for infants, so stop looking for certification.
I had those Salus ones for my little ones, they were never used in anger and provide a handy handle for the kids as they start moving on their own.

Start slow, short trip, good weather, no passagemaking, bring back everyone while they are still happy!

Our first one will be 1 years old sept 25. Her first boat trip was this summer at pitt lake. Went from pitt bridge all the way to the end of the lake to a beach all day then back. 9 months old and she loved every minute of the boat ride. The wife held her for the ride and we got her one of those life jackets for kids under 20lbs. Now she needs one for over 20lbs. The wife wouldn’t let me take her in the chuck yet. Next year for sure.

I only work with the tools I have.The idea of a life jacket pfd is only a body recovery tool.the fact many pfd won't support the head above water is trubbling to me.You might just find a verry small pet flotation device to invert the infant baby to support head above water for recovery. If you practice on lakes ,you will get good pic that you may share years down the road.

Sorry I lied. The wife bought the 20-30lbs body glove life jacket because it is transport Canada approved. Avery weighed 18lbs so she bought that one. It has the big flotation head rest. Honestly I didn’t test it out but will try in the tub.

I was at MEC last weekend and bought a infant 20-30lb lifejacket for my nephews 1st birthday. Hoping to take him out next spring/summer with my brother. MEC had lifejackets for under 20lbs in a different style, might be worth looking at.

A number of years ago I put your brow fat comment to the test ....seems to hold true because she survived and today she's 25 years old....

Taking her up to the Skeena next week to fish steelhead.....

IMG_0111.JPGIMG_0113.JPG

I don’t no if this is 100% accurate I remember reading babies have brow fat that allows them to deal with cold enviorments.
Brown fat - babies can not shiver to warm up and their body to surface ratio and proportionally large heads mean they lose heat quickly and are prone to hypothermia, so they have high concentrations of brown fat (Brown adipose tissue) . BAT cells are not like white Fat cells, they have mitochondria and many capillaries (hence brown colour) and can generate heat directly rather than converting to ATP first.

Back