Thompson Steelhead & Interior Coho SARA Listing = Bad News

Salmon Seeker

Crew Member
Have you guys heard about the planned management scenarios for if Thompson Steelhead and Interior Coho get SARA listing? It looks really bad for us. All of the local salt and Fraser fishing gets shut down from early September to early November. That means no fall Cap mouth fishery! Check it out. I believe they are polling for our input right now so maybe send in your concerns.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-es...nagement-scenarios-gestion/index-eng.html#6-0

On the plus side, gillnetting gets shut down as well. Though there will still be a FSC beach Seine.

Have you guys heard about the planned management scenarios for if Thompson Steelhead and Interior Coho get SARA listing? It looks really bad for us. All of the local salt and Fraser fishing gets shut down from early September to early November. That means no fall Cap mouth fishery! Check it out. I believe they are polling for our input right now so maybe send in your concerns.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/species-es...nagement-scenarios-gestion/index-eng.html#6-0

On the plus side, gillnetting gets shut down as well. Though there will still be a FSC beach Seine.

Didn't most of the sports fishing community sign petitions asking for this?

How many steelhead are caught in the salt by rec anglers?

Have heard of very very few.

Seems like over kill in that regard.

Last edited:
Yes they did. Just wait for the outcry if these fish ever get listed under SARA, lol!

After reviewing this I think we can expect a do not list recommendation

this would be a nuclear bomb to recreation fishing on the coast FAR worse then the SRKW issue.

This is a reason why Cultus sockeye were not listed under SARA ... the entire Vedder River would have been closed to angling from July to January. Who knows what Fraser River closures would have looked like.

This is a reason why Cultus sockeye were not listed under SARA ... the entire Vedder River would have been closed to angling from July to January. Who knows what Fraser River closures would have looked like.

I think I would be an interesting experiment if they did get listed. A finfish closure window coast wide of 60 days would certainly be able to analyze the impacts of all fishing. Will be interesting to see if the ENGO's jump on board with this the SRKW would certainly benefit from this closure window.

Many systems and small tributary salmonid populations would benefit, but anglers would face huge closures. Can't see it happening.

Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:40 PM
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: Consultation on the potential emergency listing of Thompson and Chilcotin Steelhead Trout under the Species at Risk Act

Dear Sir / Madam,

Please find attached information regarding Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s upcoming consultation on the potential emergency listing of Thompson and Chilcotin Steelhead Trout under the Species at Risk Act.

We would appreciate your help in distributing this information to others, as appropriate. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the SARA program at sara.xpac@dfo-mpo.gc.ca or Peter Hall at 250-720-4445.

Sincerely,

Karen Leslie

Regional Manager

Species at Risk Program, Pacific Region

Fisheries and Oceans Canada

200-401 Burrard Street, Vancouver BC V6C 3S4

43299299_943011002549546_483371270352666624_n.png

43286836_943011159216197_1585684509590814720_n.png

If ever there was a fish that needs the full protection of SARA it would be Thompson Steelhead. We are a very low number of returning adults The situation is indeed dire. There are sustainable ways to allow fisheries to continue that afford Steelhead the protection they need.

Back