Thompson River Chinook Opening

RevyFisher

I've tried to find answer's as to why this year DFO opened Kamloops Lake, South Thompson River, Shuswap River and Mabel Lake per usual BUT have kept the Thompson River closed? My thought is that those salmon swimming up the Thompson are the exact same salmon as they're catching in Kamloops lake. Wondering if there's someone on here on an advisory committee or something that can chime in with why this decision?

My concern is that there may be no voice for those fishing the interior salmon like there is on the coast with the various sports fishing advisory boards and that the first nations may be steering the decisions since DFO has allowed a FN commercial chinook gillnet fishery in recent years in Kamloops lake and whether that has led to the closure of the Thompson chinook sport fishery this yr. Is there any interior groups one can join and be a part of like there is on the coast?

The Thompson is closed due to concerns with sockeye.
Unfortunetly the creel data shows Sockeye getting caught in Spences Bridge. You have the handful of ppl who will be BB and spey fishing in town and catching sockeye. Make it no BB and that will cut out almost all the sockeye interception. Except for the few spey guys who will be flossing them below Jons rock.
Yet another ******** decision by DFO with zero knowledge of what goes on within a fishery.

The Thompson is closed due to concerns with sockeye.
Unfortunetly the creel data shows Sockeye getting caught in Spences Bridge. You have the handful of ppl who will be BB and spey fishing in town and catching sockeye. Make it no BB and that will cut out almost all the sockeye interception. Except for the few spey guys who will be flossing them below Jons rock.
Yet another ******** decision by DFO with zero knowledge of what goes on within a fishery.

That makes some sense. I love floating roe in the Spences Bridge area and strictly catch Springs but I can see why people bb in the bait ban stretch upriver. Education to anglers how to catch springs besides bb would help as well as most just do as they see other do.

Back