• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
How do you plan on rigging them? Tried smaller versions in a jug head teaser without much luck, but I never gave it a proper chance. Also know of some guys that pop smaller ones into hoochies and have done quite well. Still dragging them behind a flasher though.

I would worry about short strikes. I think a main hook in the center and some kind of trailing hook off the back. I just don't know how you would do it without messing with the swiminess of it

Not sure if that would catch salmon on a regular basis, never caught any incidental salmon on "rubber" over many years of use. Have had them on hali skirts with a chunk of bait though. I have used the plastics (baitrix and the other) before and never had the same success as real bait, they did smell like rubber and maybe that's why they never really worked (for me). Now I find myself running more spoons, lazy in my old age, work at any speed, and don't get washed out. I have seen your excellent work, you could always make a real looking, scented, rolling anchovy at a decent price. That I would be very interested in.

HM

I had once bought some little shad from Berkley. They were a little small for salmon but trout bite them nicely. The color and soft texture made them look very realistic. Berkley discontinued them a few years back. If they were made to a 5-6in. model that fits into anchovy holder I probably wouldn't buy anchovies anymore. I will try to post a scan of one.

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    112.1 KB · Views: 67
I should point out that I've only seen those work for Springs when fished around Kelp beds and cast not trolled-that's why Rockfish & Lings and sometime Coho grab them first-once in a blue moon a Spring will grab one fished slow & deep.

Forgot my phone at work otherwise I'd include a pic of my favourite-maybe later.

Not sure why baitrix and other "rubber" lures never worked for me. Had good roll action, fit teaser heads well and looked good to me. They did not look exactly like real anchovy (finish, shine), I think biggest issue was the "stink" they gave off. When opening package it was strong and smelled nothing like an anchovy. Maybe the springs could smell something weird (fishy) with the bait. Don't think I am alone as lots of stores still have them but anchovies in "hot" size seam to sell out some years.

I have caught lots of fish on other rubber bait, from pike and Lakers to the tropical biggies, they do work, just need to make a good anchovy replacement for springs.

HM

In the beginning when Charlie was still making Lexan spoons and just starting to experiment with aluminum, I was helping him with feedback. One of the issues that he was experiencing was line breakage after a few fish. The lures in Lexan had no issue, what it turned out to be was because his original lures ran as a line through from head to tail leader line hookup, similarly rigged like an Apex. The issue turned out to be line wear at the drill holes on the aluminum model. The very first foot long was mimicked after the line through model. He made two of them for me to fish in Uci during a heavy abundance of big pilchards that came in to the west coast that year. We lost one prototype on that trip and then when we returned I told Charlie about our findings related to the aluminum line though model. I immediately suggested that he change the spoon to incorporate welded jump rings with a swivel at the head and a swivel at the tail with a nice big claw hook. Within seconds, right in front of me he pulls out a Lexan model and drills two holes and then silver solders on two jump rings and two swivels on each end and says "Like this?", "Yes!" I exclaimed, "Exactly like that, but on aluminum!". That's how it all went down. I immediately requested 6 foot long spoons and six 9 inch. I helped Charlie for a number of years well before PEETZ contracted a licence for the lure range. I still have four of the original foot longs.
Well, I appreciate the "lore" and understand why my google search turned up nothing! Looks like a fun rig!

Looks good!

A little smaller version would be my preference. How will you rig the lure?

Maybe a plastic tube down the length of the lure or a thin SS pin that like you said could be shaped for desired action.

Look forward to see your air brush colours.

I have a prototype for this, but I find that tuning is an issue unless there is a center core made of malleable metal. I have some similar profiles in 3", 4" and 5". I had to play with my plastic a bit to find a hardness that could handle slight tuning without a core. I need to do more work on it, but ya...pretty much anything a person can dream up can be accomplished. It's all quite simply just time an money. I'll revisit it soon. I can make strip profiles too. I started playing with Jugheads with my version of strip a few years back, then my boat motor blew up.

What were the features and benefits and drawbacks with Baitrix or other plastics for teaser bait replacements?! :)
The Baitrix didn't have as natural looking belly color and was too ridged for my liking.
I will be seeing Derek this evening. I will leave him with one of these. It would be easy to adjust the role with a toothpick. The super soft and durable rubber did have a great wiggle. If I was designing them I would make every attempt to make them look as real as possible. If you could fool the fishermen into thinking it's real the fish would be easy.001.jpg
This is how I used it for trout and steelhead

Looks good Rob ! me thinks i would add some sort of planing head ( like the jughead you mentioned previously )to keep the thing diving, and it would help keep the line taughter, with less blowback.

Thanks, I will be playing around with some heads, counter weights, rig harnesses and I will be posting my discoveries and successes with each size that I run. There are a number of different ways that it can be run, and I am excited to try. I have a customer who is new to our area, but not new to fishing who has had some success with small paddle tail on lead heads dropping to the bottom and winding to the surface. I appreciate all of the feedback, thoughts and ideas while I work through this process. Eventually, I will have some to give to others to try. I am ordering my finishing supplies and my airbrush templates are almost finished. I have 10 designs so far. :)
How do I become a "tester"?

It's all just my hobby, so I really don't have testers or pro staff or social influencers or really any type of fishing team type scenario. I can build almost anything that I put my thoughts to. I have a lifetime of sourcing, product development & building experience. I have helped numerous individuals and companies throughout my lifetime with many products, lures, reels, rods, etc. I have owned a few fishing related businesses from lead to bait sales. I own enough equipment, molds, dies, supplies, tools, painting and coating, forming, polishing and more...It would be easy to develop a tackle company from everything that I already have. In getting back to your original question, once I have my new paints, powders, pigments and all my stencils, then I will start playing seriously with all of my recipes. I am going to try and do some far-out, awesome finishes focused on salmon and other species. I am not A-SCARED to hand a few out here and there. I really don't care about anything but the finished product at this point. :)

How come you don’t develop your own tackle company? Don’t want to loose the joy of a hobby by making it a job?

Back