• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
While searching deep into the bowels of Google last night for related information on Canadian fisheries and new 2018, 2019 documents to use in my own personal research and self education, I came across the following PDF file. The optics of the terms described in the PDF file don't sound good to me. I don't know enough about this type of fishery and I will be continuing my research on this topic. Does anyone have any information about the Foreign owned super trawlers fishing off the west coast of BC in 2019? It would be nice to understand that everything that we are concerned about must truly not matter one iota if DFO is allowing this type of fishery to happen in BC waters.

I read a brief article on these monster trawlers several years ago. No mention of them buying leases to work Canadian waters in that article. That is pretty shocking news. At the end of the article there was a graphic of the average mouth of the nets these boats use.
Inside the mouth was drawn the front view of either 5 or 7 (don't remember for sure, but I think it was 7) 747 aircraft flying in formation with no wing overlap.
Either way, HUGE! I wonder if these leaseholders have to declare bycatch if their target species is hake.
I also have to wonder about the rationale for allowing this to start, let alone go on, in this era of fisheries crisis.
Perhaps, since we don't have the teeth to properly enforce our sovreign territory, DFO figured "What the hell, since we can't stop it, we might as well make a few bucks out of the deal"

Do you know the source of this information? I didn't see a header on the document.

Last edited:
Those ships listed are not foreign vessels

I watched a 1 hr show on "mega ships" some months ago. Monster trawler dragging for pollock??? off Alaska, unbelievable size and technology, sensors told the ship when net was "full". All fish processed at sea and nothing wasted, fillets, fake crab paste, pet food and fertilizer. Ship Captain stated that most McD fish burgers are caught on that ship also worlds mock crab. I do not believe for a second that it has NO impact on our salmon fish stocks. Too bad the worlds population has got to this level of consumption, will get worse.

HM

You know what always sticks in my craw, who the F.....€£ has the right to take that volume of fish? Any fish species? Seriously, even if it’s a foreign government buying access, stop it! What gazzillionaire orchestrated the deal that allows these super sized slaughter houses to float through our waters and purge us bare, how big was the campaign contribution? Is it too much to ask that for once our government keeps something for just us lowly Canadians? How long has this garbage been going on? I’m sure we don’t want to know it would sicken all of us. Without a little digging would we have ever known about it?

While searching deep into the bowels of Google last night for related information on Canadian fisheries and new 2018, 2019 documents to use in my own personal research and self education, I came across the following PDF file. The optics of the terms described in the PDF file don't sound good to me. I don't know enough about this type of fishery and I will be continuing my research on this topic. Does anyone have any information about the Foreign owned super trawlers fishing off the west coast of BC in 2019? It would be nice to understand that everything that we are concerned about must truly not matter one iota if DFO is allowing this type of fishery to happen in BC waters.
Those vessels listed at the bottom of the pdf file are owned and crewed locally.
They all "grub up" and take on fuel in the lower mainland.
A lot of the product that is caught is sold overseas but some remains in the province.
Our government is allowing these vessels to fish here.
They all carry observers on board.
By catch is recorded.
These trawlers carry all sorts of quota however, for many of the different species that they catch.
They certainly get a few salmon in their nets but surprisingly not that many.
The mid water fishery is pretty target specific however, the bottom trawling is absolutely brutal.
These nets destroy everything along the sea floor.
Coral, sponges, habitat you name it - all destroyed.
Now, please don't think that I am in favor of these monster processing ships because I am not.
I am merely sharing what I know.
I suspect that we'll see a few more in the future.
Pastafarian

Thanks for the insight. This one will be processing hake quota on our coast this summer. I am told it holds approximately 20 million pounds. None of the fish will hit our shores. From what I understand it is Polish registered and carries a foreign crew that will be taking work away from local processors located on BC shores. The ship doesn't fish, only processes. I really don't see a value in this type of operation. Sad that our government is allowing this...why are they taking away jobs that British Columbia could easily manage to do. Including the opportunity at building a local economy by providing work for local people. Justin T. fails again.
View attachment 43619
Yes this particular ship and situation should not be allowed on our coast. Nobody is benefitting from this. If this ship is solely a processing plant they must be receiving fish from other fish boats. Maybe these boats that supply the fish will be crewed by our locals. I wonder how they would transfer fish between ships, especially in such large quantities and unprocessed.
PF

Our local Hake trawlers have been transferring , at sea, their "cod ends "to off shore processors for years.

This is getting very scary...can't imagine any salmon out front of this mammoth net getting away. So much for management measures to protect Fraser Chinook, never mind halibut. We don't need this happening here! There won't be anything left.

Super Trawlers.png

Attachments

• Snip20190318_3.png
    Snip20190318_3.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Snip20190318_3.png
    Snip20190318_3.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Snip20190318_3.png
    Snip20190318_3.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Snip20190318_3.png
    Snip20190318_3.png
  • Snip20190318_3.png
    Snip20190318_3.png
i did not see this thread wen I started a new one “is this true”.

I read some chatter on another site that some of the boats being added to our coast are foreign owned registered under Canadian shell companies. Also was stated that they have been buying up all the ground fish quota they can get .

I DO NOT KNOW if any of it is true and
I have not been able to find the conversation today to post it for scrutiny.

All I know is the video I added to the “is this true” thread made me wanna puke.

Bumped into another conversation about this on the commercial fishing FB page today.

Thought I would add it here. True or not, this is the second times I have seen reference to them buying ground fish quota.

Also interesting to see how little is known for fact even among those in the commercial sector that took part in the conversation.

Is this crap not something DFO should be curtailing, in light of all that is happening???????

https://m.facebook.com/groups/49130...ink&id=2132333126882695&anchor_composer=false

Last edited:
Bumped into another conversation about this on the commercial fishing FB page today.

Thought I would add it here. True or not, this is the second times I have seen reference to them buying ground fish quota.

Also interesting to see how little is known for fact even among those in the commercial sector that took part in the conversation.

Is this crap not something DFO should be curtailing, in light of all that is happening???????

https://m.facebook.com/groups/49130...ink&id=2132333126882695&anchor_composer=false

Wow.

Wonder how many salmon they catch?

Wow.

Wonder how many salmon they catch?

Ya?? I know less than nothing about this stuff. So I have same question. Pretty sure they would tell us none.

All I can add is I was catching Chinook,coho, and hake out at kitty that where all clearly feeding on the same herring mass, at the same time that I was focusing my Chinook effort on. You know for the 1 each the two of us on board would harvest that day.

Last edited:
The Russian midwater trawler catches hundreds of salmon with a 1 hour set.

These supper trawlers must clean up all that swim though there nets.

Sickening

For comparison purposes, The russian trawler had a 50m opening, their saying these super trawlers openings are 200m.

Scary stuff

upload_2019-3-23_9-6-1.png
upload_2019-3-23_9-6-27.png

copy and pasted for thoes that don't like clicking on mysterious facebook links

Matthew HoucktoWest Coast Fisherman
10 hrs ·

5 Factory super trawlers on our coast 5 more on their way! They have destroyed the East Coast fishery. They have been kicked out of Europe and repainted to come here.

I interviewed an old time trawl skipper and he is absolutely sick on what's going on and here is what he had to say:

"Our small trawl fleet tow nets that are 160 feet long and Super Trawlers have a net 2200 feet long and 15 times wider. The small coastal trawler has very little by-catch because the by-catch picks up the vibrations of the main warps (winches for the nets) and they swim to the side and are not caught.These super trawlers are towing nets so large they have to swim so far to get out of the way it's impossible everything is caught."

I have worked in all of these communities and have pumped millions of pounds off our coastal trawlers and I am not going to sit back and watch all my friends loose their homes, jobs and way of life over this and no we don't want to work the few jobs on a super trawler day rated.

I want to make this very clear we are not against our small trawl fleet (we need and love them) and no we don't want to shut the fishery down that has supported our coastal communities for decades and has had very low impact on the coast. Our small vessel trawl fleet only ever caught 30 to 40% of the hake allocation on the west coast. One of our Mayors said that's great that we have only ever caught 40% of the allocation because that's like money in the bank for our communities, local jobs and continued growth.

I have really put a lot of miles on this week going out to Ucluelet and Port Hardy here is what transpired:

I was able to talk to 2 crew members on two different super trawlers fishing the 800 line off the Cape.

I have been asked to not mention there names and out of respect so please don't ask.

They said 2 super trawlers are up on charges from DFO for bribing observers.

Does anybody know anything about this?

These observers are paid under $28.000 a year and they are humans not cameras!!!

I always wondered how are they getting away with not having cameras on these vessels because our small hook and line guys have to have cameras on board because they can't afford paying an observer.

They also mentioned conservatively the by-catch rate is about 30 to 40% halibut by-catch every tow!!! Hello no kidding they are on the Halibut grounds.

One crew member laughed and said they are saying they are all alive but the truth is about 20% is alive and nothing ever sees the bottom again. Because there is up to 1,000 sea lions follow behind every super trawler and again laughed and said the buggers don't eat turbot heads they love the halibut and tear all the bellies out of them.

He said the sea lions are so thick that they get stuck in the ships propeller and stall the main engine and they have to reverse the ship to get them out and the water turns red.

The two crew members both agreed that a rough estimate, if you wanted to add up the turbot that was taken off the cape this year and add just 10% halibut by-catch you would end up with these kind of numbers:

5 to 7 million pounds has been dumped off the Cape this winter and not one has seen the bottom again.They said one skipper phoned the owners and said what do we do here we are getting 40,000 lbs a tow of halibut and the owners said try and stay away from the halibut and bring the boat to town full.
He brought the boat to Port Hardy and tied it up and told the owners "I can't sleep at night I am outta here."

Also no crew members are permitted to have any cell phones on deck because of the camera. One crew member said one guy brought out a cell phone on haul back and took a few pics and his phone was thrown over the side when he was on deck.

We better wake up and get these foreign owned super trawlers off our coast or we're wiped out. After they take the bottom gear off then the mid water gear is put on and they lay out front of our coastal communities and freeze all the fish and take it to the shipping ports and the communities don't get a lick!

These super trawlers are buying up all our small trawlers quota like candy and these are the life blood of the communities why is there no caps on these boats!!!!!!!!

When the trawl fishery went to IVQ why were the communities not involved in this process? Because back in the day the communities helped these guys get the IVQ with the history of all their landings and now they are being ripped away.

Seriously guys what Canadian fisherman can afford a 10 to 15 million dollar boat!!!!

Our Canadian super trawler owners are called the "Mr 10%" because the rest are owned by foreign owners that have created shell companies to hide behind. This is why money is no problem to buy out the whole BC quota on hake and ground fish when there is no caps on these boats.

We all need to make a stand on this coast and protect our small boat fleet which is very low impact compared to these super trawlers.

The coastal communities need 50% shore base allocation for protection and if the quota isn't taken good let's build up the coastal communities to take more fish.

DFO has made it a race for the fish just like the East Coast and has let foreigners in to own our resource.

I am in contact with mayors on the east coast and their advice is we get these super trawlers out before it's too late because we are heading down the same road. All of their small drag fleet went down hard because of these guys!!!

I am getting statements

I will keep you all posted on my return to Rupert

Together we can have security for our resources and ensure growth and prosperity for our coastal communities. Everyone wins.

Matt

Back