There go those fish and everything thats coming upstream is dead!

Campbell River's drinking water and salmon habitat may be at risk from a gravel pit-turned landfill, owned by Upland Excavating. CREC is ringing alarm bells about the recent, possibly unpermitted dumping of toxic creosoted timbers there. They are also concerned about plans to use the site for longterm storage of potentially contaminated construction and demolition waste and contaminated soils, despite sitting next to the community’s drinking water supply.

I'm not excusing or justifying any of the spills, one is too many but these sensationalist click bait headlines drive me nuts. Most people don't read past them as they thumb through their Facebook feeds or at best they skim an article. It only takes a millisecond of thought to figure out why the headline is so bogus, I will give these guys credit though they did address the gaping hole in the headline claim further down in the article;

And the documented disasters may not tell the whole story as there is no global database of mine sites and tailings storage facilities

This is just a glimpse of what we know. A lot of the data is missing. We need an international database of mining spills and mining failures

But then they stepped on their own dicks with this little gem;

data underlines that Canada is doing poorly, with almost 20 per cent of the documented failures

Contradicting their earlier acknowledgement of the lack of data then making a large assumption that non-reporting third world countries have less issues. Sound legit to anyone?

Alternate headline; Canada has world class reporting and tracking standards.

That won't get clicks to drive advertising dollars or give activists stories to spam with though.

from the UN document...

There is no publicly accessible inventory of tailings dams,
however, one estimate has put the number of tailings dams
at 3,500. This is likely an underestimate since there could
be more than 30,000 industrial mines.
• The global volume of stored tailings is also unknown but
recent disasters illustrate the potential scale of accidents.
For example, the Mount Polley and Samarco failures in 2014
and 2015 each respectively released more than 25 million
cubic metres of tailings into the environment. Combined,
this represents enough material to fill more than 20,000
Olympic swimming pools.

Kinda goes along with what the "sensationalist" article is reporting on. Those "activists" sure are a bunch of bad guys making stuff up every chance they get... lol,
Maybe a better alternate headline might be
Canada has world class reporting and tracking standards, yet still has a pretty ****** mining record in the world when it comes to mine tailings safety.
And yes, one is too many. So why the F are we seeing so many?

Last edited:
I also guess we should add the failures from Canadian Mine companies in foreign countries - if we are trying to be accurate wrt CANADIAN mine failures...

Back