The Winner is...

ronin2024

As some of you know I was lucky enough to win the 9.9 Yamaha from the Sooke Sea Pen Raffle late last year. I never won anything like this before (just like Stizzla). I went over to the island to pick up the motor at Sherwood Marine and they there great over there. I was thinking I wished we had someone over on the mainland that would be just as helpful.

All week I was looking up how I was going to mount the motor thinking if I should add remote steer or just a tie bar. On the return trip it dawn on me what if this motor wasn't long enough for my boat. Nah it was a long shaft it should be good enough. Nope...I needed a extra long shaft. I was talking with Ian at Galleon Marine and he confirmed that I would need an extra long shaft for my 1825 Falcon Kingfisher. DOH!!! Now I needed to look at more options. Do I buy a new motor, do I add a mounting bracket or do I change out the leg?? I looked around for quotes for mounting bracket (seemed the cheapest and fastest way) and it would cost anywhere between $450 - $800 for a motor bracket that would be strong enough for this motor.

Well I asked Ian at Galleon if he would be willing to trade my motor for an extra long shaft. He said he would and it would cost me $450 plus I got extended 2 year extended warranty. He went over everything that I needed to know about the motor. He even went over stuff that I didn't know about my main motor on my boat.
We could have talked for hours about my boat and things I needed to do to maintain it for years.

I think that Ian and his team at Galleon Marine provide awesome customer support. I only wished that I had purchased my boat from them (hands down way better service) but I was in too much in a hurry to buy my boat. (Boat blinders on)

The winner is hands down Ian and his team at Galleon Marine for their customer service.

Ronin2024

I used to work at a Merc dealership and we sold extension kits to extend the leg. It was a spacer, driveshaft, shift linkage and water pump tube. They were a bit under $500 but that was many years ago. Seems like a trade is the best bet.

But the real question is do you actually need extra long shaft? Does The kicker prop need to be below the hull or doesnt it just need to be long enough to not come out of the water in big swells.

$450.00 sounds like a steal to me, for a brand new motor! Is the XL equipped the same? Ie... Does it include the tilt assembly? If so, I would certainly go for it.

$450.00 sounds like a steal to me, for a brand new motor! Is the XL equipped the same? Ie... Does it include the tilt assembly? If so, I would certainly go for it.

Yes it was the best that I could have hope for. Electric start and tilt.

But the real question is do you actually need extra long shaft? Does The kicker prop need to be below the hull or doesnt it just need to be long enough to not come out of the water in big swells.

That is a very good question. You probably get a lot on both sides of the question. I got to go with the guy who sell a bunch of these boats. If anyone should know it would be them.

Back