The water is so hot in Alaska it's killing large numbers of salmon

Sounds like Engo propaganda to me. Love how they threw in the over fishing part.

There was also a recent article about big die-offs in a "lagoon" leading to a pink hatchery, with warm water being listed as the culprit. Last week, my sounder showed 60-degree surface water on the West Coast of Haida Gwaii, which was a warmer reading than I ever got at the same spot during the "Blob" summers.

The radical weather pattern last winter that pushed all of the rain and snow that the Pacific NW usually gets onto California might well have lowered the snow pack up the Yukon and many other rivers, and an early thaw and record warmth could easily be making parts of the river inhospitable to salmon.

There was also a recent article about big die-offs in a "lagoon" leading to a pink hatchery, with warm water being listed as the culprit

That has been debunked

Many of you have seen a video showing dead pink salmon in Tutka Bay posted by My Way Alaska on August 10, 2019. We want to take this opportunity to explain what you are viewing. To cover operational costs for the hatchery programs, CIAA develops cost recovery harvest plans for areas where hatchery raised fish will be returning, including Tutka Bay Lagoon in Kachemak Bay. Through a public bidding process, CIAA licenses the cost recovery operation to processors, who in turn contract for the catcher vessel (a seiner) to harvest the fish. Once the fish are harvested, they are taken straight to the processor. These fish are not used for hatchery broodstock. On July 28, the cost recovery seiner was fishing in Tutka Bay Lagoon. It had a purse seine full of pink salmon when the bottom of the net snagged on something and ripped. Unfortunately, the fish were released and a number of them died in the process. We estimate that approximately 700–1,200 fish were lost. Accidents like this do sometimes happen to commercial fishing vessels, and we are sorry for any confusion it has caused. Please share.

Back