The true recreational fisherman are getting BLINDSIDED

No disrespect meant but being that I was born, raised, live and work on the west coast, I feel that east of the rockies should have the same access to the fish on this coast, as we have access to their resouces. the day I can cross the rockies and fill my truck with a tank of gas every day for $22/yr (instead of $100/wk) is the day I am willing to "share" our common property resource with theirs.

Thanks F4 for the help with motivating Alberta guys and those in other provinces to write a letter or two to the Feds on the unfair halibut allocation. By the way I know a lot of BCers who have hunted and fished in other provinces including my family.

No disrespect meant but being that I was born, raised, live and work on the west coast, I feel that east of the rockies should have the same access to the fish on this coast, as we have access to their resouces. the day I can cross the rockies and fill my truck with a tank of gas every day for $22/yr (instead of $100/wk) is the day I am willing to "share" our common property resource with theirs.

Thats $1.83/month to run a vehicle..I spend $100+ to drive every week.... A little off topic though

I was just in Calgary 2 weeks ago and gas was 1.09/L and I am currently in Ottawa for school and regularily have to gas up my car for 1.20/L at the moment...soo vast hyperbole there fish4all.

So, me and a couple of buddies were talking last night about a trip out to the Island. Being as we are all in our mid to late 50s, we travel most often with our Wives. a couple of us, myself included, have even chartered trips that were only Husband and Wife.
HST and now the 1 Hali. a day- 2 max limit, have made it a very unattractive venture!
We figured out that between our Hotels, food, fuel, Charters and shopping a 5-7 day jaunt costs us around $6-$7000.00 per couple. That's around $35-$45,000, that we won't be spending in B.C. this year!
Now, I know that out of the Millions of $ we TOURISTs from the wrong side of the Rockies spend out there each year, our measly amount is only a drop in the Ocean, (pun intended) But what do you want to bet, that our little group isn't the only one, that isn't coming this year?
Between the B.C. Provincial Govt.(HST) and the Federal debacle Ministry, it has become cost prohibative for MOST of us NON B.C. Canadians the chance to access our share of 12% allocation!
So as a Canadian (BORN/RAISED in B.C.) I and my other Fishing partners and Wives, donate our share of the alloted 12% ,to the hard working Guides and Sport Fisherman, that in the past, have given us the opportunity to enjoy the West Coast as it was intended to be.
Oh ya, we decided to fish Belize this year, for us, it just works out to be a matter ECONOMICS!!

Last edited by a moderator:
gee labman2 to must be one of the rec trolls I think fish4all dingdong and sportrec should lay into him like every one else does it to them. I like it when someone has a different view that you guys don't want to here it sounds like holmes needs and anger management course

Hey numb nuts, if the guide kept the fish and sold it you would have a valid point. The sport fishers we supply a boat and knowledge to get to keep what they legally are allowed. For many this is the only way they can access the sport fishery. Many people I take out don't have the confidence to operate a boat on the ocean. Their comfort level is limited to small fresh water lakes where they feel somewhat safe on their own.
Thank you the guide does keep the fish . Your not throwing it back. And does sell it thats the charter price.Your not giving it to him for free

Sorry Sport Rec. you must have read something into what I posted.
I and my Buddies support the Guides 100%, it has just come down to economics!
As Profisher has correctly stated, we pay for a boat ride, use of someone else's gear, Bait and KNOWLEDGE!! WE don't buy the fish, We have already paid for that in Licence fees.
WE keep whatever WE are lucky enough to catch.

Buddy, if we were selling fish in any form we would be charged under the fisheries act. That law is quite clear, no sport caught fish is to be sold, traded or used for barter in any way. Are you saying that those I take fishing; many including the elderly, handicapped and young children should wait for you to offer them a free trip? Maybe you should step up here right now and offer your personal free time and boat up for these people out of pure generosity. I will bow down and be very impressed seeing you drag your butt out of bed at 4am and get home around 7pm 7 days a week out of the goodness of your heart. Go for it!!

Labman2, It does not just come down to economics, there are a couple other things, conservation and sustainablilty. The rec sector is NOT ready to recieve any fish from the commercial sector. Over in the commercial sector the fish are accounted for 100%, here in our rec sector we don't have any accountability. Economics vs Conservation and Sustainablity......I don't think your argument has a fighting chance.

After reading many letters in the local papers about the ongoing halibut allocation issues, I am starting to see what is really happening to this resource.
Perhaps he (Al Newton) just talked to his brother and is simply a mouthpiece for him.

Craig Newton, 33, who has been a halibut fisherman since he was 17, said Shea's decision is a "relief." The existing formula "has been fair all these years," Newton said from Courtenay. A cut in the commercial share would hurt fishermen as well as workers in processing plants in towns like Port Hardy, and would cost consumers more in supermarkets, Newton said.
http://www2.canada.com/courierislander/story.html?id=88cd7e5b-c91b-4d0c-a651-3ab8fe67ade2

GLG

Buddy, if we were selling fish in any form we would be charged under the fisheries act. That law is quite clear, no sport caught fish is to be sold, traded or used for barter in any way.

Thank you for the clarification. I believe when a guide gifts his fish, prawns or crabs to a guest in return for having that person pay for their services would be classified as barter.

Labman2, It does not just come down to economics, there are a couple other things, conservation and sustainablilty. The rec sector is NOT ready to recieve any fish from the commercial sector. Over in the commercial sector the fish are accounted for 100%, here in our rec sector we don't have any accountability. Economics vs Conservation and Sustainablity......I don't think your argument has a fighting chance.

Not sure if your looking for an argument, I wasn't!
I stated that our case, my fishing buddies and myself, it sure as ***** is a matter of Economics. I don't know where you get off telling me any different!
Oh ya, even you can have some of our 12%.
Jees another Dick Wad.

Thank you for the clarification. I believe when a guide gifts his fish, prawns or crabs to a guest in return for having that person pay for their services would be classified as barter.

Nope, that would be illegal and providing a service for people to catch fish is not illegal.

copy that and send it into the comox and campbell papers

So, me and a couple of buddies were talking last night about a trip out to the Island. Being that we are all in our mid to late 50s, we travel most often with our Wives. a couple of us, myself included, have even chartered trips that were only Husband and Wife.
HST and now the 1 Hali.a day- 2 max limit, have made it a very unattractive venture!
We figured out that between our Hotels, food, fuel, Charters and shopping a 5-7 day jaunt costs us around $6-$7000.00 per couple. That's around $35-$40,000, that we won't be spending in B.C. this year!
Now, I know that out of the Millions of $ we TOURISTs from the wrong side of the Rockies spend out there each year, our measlly amount is only a drop in the Ocean, (pun intended) But what do you want to bet, that our little group isn't the only one, that isn't coming this year?
Between the B.C. Provincial Govt.(HST) and the Federal debacle Ministry, it has become cost prohibative for MOST of us NON B.C. Canadians the chance to access our share of 12% allocation!
So as a Canadian (BORN/RAISED in B.C.) I and my other Fishing partners and Wives, donate our share of the 12% ,to the hard working Guides and Sport Fisherman, that in the past, have given us the opportunity to enjoy the West Coast as it was intended to be.
Oh ya, we decide to fish Belize this year, it's just CHEAPER!

Fixed up some of my spelling and grammer issues and by all means, forward it to whomever you feel it should go to.

Last edited by a moderator:
you do it for MONEY thats commerical with free axcessto fall for that crap to recreational allication. Canadians with there own boats do it for fun thats called recreational THATS THE DIFFERENCE

So what you are saying is if I am from say Alberta, don't own a boat, use the services of a guide, I am not a "recreational angler". What exactly are you a slipper skipper or just another commie with your head up your butt? Just so you know your divisive tactics won't work. Most of us in the sport fishing community are a little too smart to fall for that crap.

H.E.H.

Cheers All,

The sad part of this is that the entire process began about access to a Common Property Resource and it could have been fixed so easily. However...the longer we get into this 'debate' the more enlightened I have become about how our government mistreats the very people they supposedly supposed to support in democracy. When Mr. Duncan won't even listen to his constituents it tells me he has to go. He is not there to tow the party line or, for that matter, his own. He is there to provide support for his constituents which he has deliberately turned aside.

Dear Mr. Duncan;

This letter is to inform you your lack of services on behalf of your constituents means your services are no longer required....

However...it has also become very concerning when I hear the continued stories from the commercial fleet. Their total inability to grasp the fundamental issues at hand without trying to twist and massage them to their 'bend' causes me to reflect on any support for their position at all. An acknowledgment that this is a Common Property Resource would have gone a long way. An understanding that the situation is not perfect and needs to be changed as well. Even a resolve to work through the situation to find a solution with the least pain for all would have done it - up until Christmas.

Now...I simply want them all gone and the situation reversed so that no quota is held by fishermen but by DFO - should be reasonable to commercial fishermen as they 'totally support' the direction of DFO. No more fishermen sitting back and gouging their working brothers by leasing at loanshark pricing. All funds would go to DFO to properly and effectively manage the resource for the betterment of all Canadians. More profits to the working commercial fishermen, more fish to the recreational fishermen and more resources for the Canadian Public.

My patience for the Status Quo has vanished and I am simply unwilling to settle for anything less than anarchy in the streets until the entire flawed system is replaced by one that recognizes the fundamental principle of Common Property Resources.

Unfortunately Labman2 we cannot fix up your information and make use of it but I think it is critical that the average BC citizen knows what DFO and our Federal Government is throwing away in terms of economic loss and jobs in BC through their misguided sell out of British Columbians in favor of a few fat cat slipper skippers with far too much political influence. We would really appreciate if you could send a letter to the Editor of the Vancouver Sun or Province. If you are willing to do so you will need to provide your name, address and phone number to them with it; in order to get it published.

So, me and a couple of buddies were talking last night about a trip out to the Island. Being as we are all in our mid to late 50s, we travel most often with our Wives. a couple of us, myself included, have even chartered trips that were only Husband and Wife.
HST and now the 1 Hali. a day- 2 max limit, have made it a very unattractive venture!
We figured out that between our Hotels, food, fuel, Charters and shopping a 5-7 day jaunt costs us around $6-$7000.00 per couple. That's around $35-$45,000, that we won't be spending in B.C. this year!
Now, I know that out of the Millions of $ we TOURISTs from the wrong side of the Rockies spend out there each year, our measly amount is only a drop in the Ocean, (pun intended) But what do you want to bet, that our little group isn't the only one, that isn't coming this year?
So as a Canadian (BORN/RAISED in B.C.) I and my other Fishing partners and Wives, donate our share of the alloted 12% ,to the hard working Guides and Sport Fisherman, that in the past, have given us the opportunity to enjoy the West Coast as it was intended to be.
Oh ya, we decided to fish Belize this year, for us, it just works out to be a matter ECONOMICS!!

Back