The transducer issues: old holes & new location

Saxe Point

The transducer mount for my new fishfinder doesn't fit the screw holes left behind from the old one in the fiberglass transom of my 17 Double Eagle. The holes seem dry, but I've got to check a little more closely. And it looks like there are at least 2 other sets of previously filled transducer holes - it seems like they are filled with a rubbery silicone type of substance. I have read a lot on the internet and some guys suggest drilling all old holes out and filling them with MarineTex or some other type of epoxy. Others say that simply putting in the old screws with 3M 5200 adhesive in the hole and on the screw is good enough. In terms of the new mount, some say to screw in a starboard or other plastic panel in so that you never have to drill the transom again. Others say to not worry about it that drilling onto the transom is not that big a deal.

Lots of mixed messages out there and I was hoping that some local BC experience can help to clear up the confusion for me. Thanks in advance.

If you have epoxy handy, I would just fill the holes with that. Another good option is to get some marine grade silicone and fill them with that. I wouldn't drill a screw hole out to fill it in, just pack it with the epoxy or silicone and you should be good to go. Time to get that thing in the water.

when the guy installed mine he just put screws in the old hole and silicon the head, that way the screws will never crack and let water in

Use marine grade white sicaflex in the holes and scuf around them a little to make a good bond then use a putty knife to make for a smooth finish. Most important first make sure the holes are dry using a blow dryer or heat gun ..... warning dont get it on your clothes it wont come off...lol

Another alternative is marine epoxy.

The best place to mount your new transducer is in your bilge. Providing you have a solid core. X2 on the Sikaflex to fill holes.

I mounted a white plastict board (3/4" thick) on the transom, which now alows me to mount things without having to drill any more holes in the transom.

Attachments

• DSCN2066.jpg
    DSCN2066.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 103
Saxe Point: My 21.5 Campion has the transducer mounted on a board exactly as AIK has. If I change fishfinders (transducers) I will never have to put any more holes in the transome, the way to go in the long run.

...Rob

To do a good job and never ever have anymore problems as leaving exposed SS screws they will over time dwindle away . ever takes a screw out and the threads are all gone??? thats them just corroding away.. especially below the water line

Easiest way is to get them wooden plugs from the lumber store 1/4 inch or smaller drill them out with one size bigger drill bit if you have a grinder zap it guickly to take off any bottom paint or old sika etc and creatate a little depression about 2 inches around where all your holes are.
Make your self up some 1inch round patches of matte fibergalss.
Mix up a small batch of fiberglass I personally use a old small (clean) paint brush,cover the plugs bang them into the hole then cover the holes with the patch. then wait till its cured then very lightly sand or grind smooth then re bottom paint it will look all brand new again and everything is all sealed up again to save your transom. this job is very easy if you want to pay more ill come do it LOL LOL maybe an hours work at the most...

Good luck Wolf

"Holy cow that transducer is pretty close to your motor. Does it read in high speeds?""

No problem.

Back