The Throw Back Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last August my wife and I were jigging in the Gulf Islands taking a break for working on a friends cottage. After a couple of hours with little action I was ready to pack it in for a comfy chair and a cold beer but my dear lady said “ just a bit more then we can go in”. About ten minutes later as the buzz bomb went down it got picked up by this nice fish and the dance was on. View attachment 45612
So, your wife had to convince you to stay fishing longer? ha ha

4FF1735B-475F-47A7-A0D6-F504942384FE.jpeg On that day yes. Like I said there was no real action until that fish came along. I put her on that fish a couple weeks earlier when we were leaving Little Trib with the sailboat. I’ve been known to bring boat to a stop on several occasions while motoring at 6kts when I ‘ve spotted bait balls on the sounder on long trips with good results. Often we’ll be anchoring in the dark because we kept fishing too long at my insistance.

My favourite fish story took place many years ago at Rock Bay, just north of Chatham Point in Johnstone Strait.
It was August 1st and the first day of a casual, family run derby held each year back then.
I woke early to cast my favourite buzz bomb off of the decrepit old government float, that had been abandoned to the elements, years before.
As I was making my first cast, a guy (old friend of the guy who ran the derby) came by the dock in his boat & said, you won't be needing this, & took my borrowed landing net. I was kinda pissed, but it was a beautiful morning & I figured he was probably right, so I fished on.
After just a few casts, I hooked into a really nice fish. With my light spinning gear it was a real challenge, but I finally got him to the float.
As soon as he saw me, he stood on his tail & openened his mouth wide. Wide enough for me to see one barb of my treble hook barely piercing the skin on the roof of his mouth.
As fast as I could, I loosened the drag & let him run. Once he was well away from the dock, I set the hook hard & had a great battle until he was tired enough to bring him home.
Problem was, I was still without a net! After chasing the fish around to keep him from going under the dock I found that one corner of the float was waterlogged and would sink if I stepped right out to the edge. So, standing there, teetering on the edge of the float, I swam him up onto the deck planks. Walking backwards a few steps, the dock slowly floated back up, leaving my prize high & dry.
For the remainder of the derby, the guy who "stole" my net insisted he was gonna beat my puny 26 pounder, but neither he, nor anyone else did. I ended up winning first prize, a really fine spinning outfit with a 10' rod & a skookum Shimano reel. After forty-six years, I finally retired that rod this season.
There are many other great fishing memories that stand out for me, but that was definitely one of the very best.
Great thread! Thanks for getting it started, Admin.

Cool! That reminds me so of a very similar experience in 96 when I travelled around Lake Superior and bumped into a large fishing derby in Wawa. In the morning lots of big sport boats similar to our west coast salmon fleet went out with downriggers and sonar and what not to chase pacific salmon and lake trout. Curious I hung around the weigh-in station when the fleet came in and there were nice Chinooks into the mid twenties and lakers of similar size. But then a gang of kids came yelling and screaming up from the marina and dragged a 27# Chinook to the scales. A little later a 13 year old had won a few thousand dollars and a trophy beating all the highliners in their Gradys and Stripers by casting a spoon or spinner off the docks. Priceless!

Only a couple days left to post in this retro thread to get in on the prize for this round! Here is a shot from a great day, that almost didn't happen due to the wind predictions, on Aug 30 of last year on the Oak Bay flats. Was caught on a Herring Aid spoon and went 24 lbs. Unfortunately, in a spot we never thought it could happen, we lost a cannonball shortly after landing this one!

Doc OB.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread idea!! Ok I have 2 stories and will try not to make them long winded. When I started going out fishing with my husband and decided I REALLY like this hobby – to his chagrin, might I add – I thought it was a great idea to make it also more of a family event from time to time – again, also more to his chagrin, LOL - so we would take our camper down to Pedder Bay and stay there for a few days and have the boat in the water, my parents have a RV and they would go as well and we would try to do some ‘family fishing’. One of these first trips we had just purchased a bunch of new halibut gear and had been there for about 5 days and out on the water steadily for a good 8 hours each day. Literally didn’t get a bite – tried ground fishing, trolling for salmon and things were just dead that week, so on the last day of this trip I wanted to go out for just a few hours before we had to come in and pack up to be out of the camp site by 11 am. So, we agreed ahead of time that 9 am would be our cut off time to pull gear up and head in. My Dad decided to join us that morning, we had been trolling around and around, trying everything - changing gear, baits and again.....nothing.....so, now it is 8:50 am and my husband looks at me and says “that’s it we are pulling up and out of here – I am so done”. I looked at him and said “hey, agreement was 9 am – still have 10 more minutes left so lets head over fast to the can buoy in the Bay (because a day or two prior I had at least something I was sure banging my line while I was attempting some mooching). Well, you can guess the look I got – like WTF, 10 minutes left – nothing in 5 days and you really want to go over there for 10 stupid minutes until 9 am – the only reason he remotely agreed to do it was because my Dad was sitting in the boat and he couldn’t say what he really wanted to. So over he powers to the can buoy and my Dad takes his favourite I swear 1970s old fishing rod he brings on these family fishing outings (with get this – no kidding – only 10 pound test on the bloody thing), he grabs his old tackle box that has a bunch of lures that are lake stuff and hooks on this little hoochie and we are in about 300 feet of water and he throws it over the side does 10 pulls tops and within 30 seconds the rod goes right down to the water line!!! We are like what the hell???? He says “I feel like I am pulling up a refrigerator” and my husband and I look at each other and both are thinking – he can’t be in more than 20 feet down if that and we even thought for a moment what the heck has he done – has he hooked his line somehow to the bottom of the boat.....then we thought halibut – no friggin way??? So, now we light up - start getting excited because literally this is the only catch in 5 days – so, I say “get the new halibut gaff” and my husband says “&^%$ all of the halibut gear I took up last night and is at the camper” I am like WHAT – are you kidding me!!!! Dad is still reeling and sure enough up comes this slab – I just yelled “net it NOW”, because I could just see this old rod snap and this 10 lb test is a joke with this on the end of the line......so here we are netting the damn thing – my husband literally hog tied it, it ripped the net half apart, LOL......but we got it in and it was a good size. What it was doing that high up in the water table.....my Dad was thrilled, and he loves his old rod even more now. Also, from now on we fish right up to the time we agree to call it a day – you just never know, thats what makes it so much fun.

And here is the other story – when I caught my very first chinook – we were out off of Sooke and had just purchased a new sounder/chartplotter – had tested it at home all is fine, got onto the water, lines set, started mucking around with the settings of the sounder and it starts to glitch – error message comes up – screen starts to freeze - so, as most of you can relate with your significant other – out comes the manual and now we are having ‘words’ as to who did what – touched what button to screw it up etc. etc, Neither of us looking behind us, just arguing away about this damn sounder and god knows for how long one of the lines is just hammering away, almost bouncing out of the holder LOL – finally I notice it – holy heck “FISH ON” and a good one – line starts to peel off and I got to reel in my first 27 pounder. Picture attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0332 (478x640).jpg
    IMG_0332 (478x640).jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 86
Fishing our favorite halibut spot off Discovery Island we got a halibut quickly and decided to go head out to Constance to try and jig up a spring. No springs but hit yet another halibut in 70' of water on a Dart jerk lure.
051.JPG

Here's a throw way back to about 1994 about the biggest fish I didn't catch when we lived in Port Hardy for a few years... Oma and Opa (dutch for Grandma and Grandpa) came up for a vist. Opa was a true dutch mariner to the core; he grew up in Indonesia and after graduating from engineering school in Holland he joined the dutch merchant marines as a diesel engineer and spent several years sailing around the world on cargo ships. After the war, they came to Canada and settled in the Gulf Islands where life was again dictated by the sea. He wasn't much of a fisherman though (it was always my dad's job to catch dinner), but he did build his own sailboat in his workshop so he could spend even more time on the water in the first part of retirement. Unfortunately he sold it about 10 years before this trip and didn’t get to spend as much time out on the water anymore (he would have been in his mid-eighties at this point).

Anyway, during their visit we got him up at about 4:30 am and headed out to Doyle Island in our 14’ tinny. It was a beautiful morning, glass calm and light fog burning off as the sun came up over Queen Charlotte Straight. I remember looking over at Opa who had that look on his face where I knew there was be no place he'd rather be than right there at that moment.

Now, here’s the thing: despite all the talk on the forums about the good ole’ days of limits of tyees every day, we rarely caught springs. Maybe it was because the coho were thick, not to mention hordes of pinks every other year and the odd chum and sockeye thrown in the mix, but we usually didn’t get into springs, and even rarer to get one that had any size. We had more luck for big springs when we lived on the south Island and used to fish out of Beecher Bay. And it wasn’t for lack of trying, I dreamed of hooking into a big fish that popped the Scotty Hair Trigger Release (which rarely happened, either the Hair Trigger would release when you cranked down just a bit to hard, or if you tightened it up it wouldn’t pop on the smaller fish that we were catching) and ripped line off the reel - which was one of the first Daiwa reels with the one-way drag.

So we're trolling on the east side of Doyle, when all of a sudden my rod starts hammering and pops off the release. Holy crap, just what my teenage self has been waiting for! So I grab the rod, and without even a second thought immediately gave the rod to Opa to play. After a great fight with a couple good runs, I netted a beauty 15-lb spring. The biggest spring we landed when we lived in Hardy.

Was it a big fish? No. Have I caught bigger fish since? Yes. Will I ever forget that one or regret passing off the rod? Absolutely not.

We’ll go back a couple years for these ones, mid Aug 2007, Sooke. Double Tyee’s for the week for me, and still my only Tyee’s to date never mind 2 in one week. We had a few good years at Sooke but this year was particularly good to us, quite a few fish in the 20# range.

XfxoZTw.jpg

NVXyRSM.jpg

Late to the game, but not so interested in a prize anyway.....

My throwback is to a time Beach Camping & fishing with my son, then aged 11, in Clayoquot several years ago.

I fish naked spoons on spinning rods and as we came around a corner, we hit a shelf and I had to raise the gear fast - and this hit. 90 minutes to the boat and I confess I had to help him for about 50% of the time, but he brought it to the net.

Mike off Tofino Aug 2005 - 42lbs!!!.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back