The sound of saving salmon

Has anyone heard about pinniped traps? Not sure if this is rumour or fact, but as the story goes someone has modified commercial black cod traps with a leg hold style trap capable of trapping a bear. No shooting required, just pull up the trap once triggered.

Has anyone heard about pinniped traps? Not sure if this is rumour or fact, but as the story goes someone has modified commercial black cod traps with a leg hold style trap capable of trapping a bear. No shooting required, just pull up the trap once triggered.

The traps they are using south of the medicine line are not like that.

Somewhere I have the specs... Will see if I can hunt them down for you...

Cheers

Cheers
Thx, and btw I watched the entire FOPO session and all witnesses providing their evidence to the Committee members. Well done. It seemed to me that Ken Hardy summed up the collective sentiments of the FOPO fairly succinctly when he mentioned that one witness was swimming against the tide on this issue.

Cheers

Here is what I got, verbatim,

We don’t have a formal specifications documents since the traps have gone through a lot of iterative DIY
improvements over the years. Here are the basic measurements for the traps we use:

Trap Platform
189”X189”

--Single traps can list heavily when filled with animals, so we’ve bolted 3 traps together in a row
for increased stability and staff safety.

Platform deck 21” above water when empty

3 anchor lines secure traps in place

Chain link cage bolted onto trap platform:
84” tall walls
165” x 165” interior dimensions
12” wide walkway around exterior of each cage. Linked cages have a 24” wide corridor for access
between cages.

Trap Door

--Chain link panel that is secured open with an electromagnet. When a remote trigger is
pressed, current is cut to the magnet and panel drops via gravity, guided by a set of rails on
each side, trapping the animals inside the chain link cage.
84” tall
92” wide
43” tall opening for animal access when door is open and armed for trapping
Dog door. This is a smaller “back door” that is left closed while trying to trap animals, and is used to
transfer trapped animals to smaller cages for transport.
47” wide
47” tall

We’ve optimized a lot of other components over the years (see picture below). I’d be happy to answer
questions or dive more into the details of any specifics they’re interested in, so feel free to pass my
contact info along to your partners.

Our trap design works equally well for Stellers and Californias. Earlier in the program’s history when we
were only allowed to take Californias, various measures were tried (e.g. restricting the size of trap door
openings) to exclude Stellers, but they were pretty ineffective at targeting one species.

Back